Topping E30 DAC - Volume Adjustment

Witterings

Bit confused ... I thought the E30's could be used as a preamp as well and that you could adjust the volume on them but when I tried it didn't do anything so looked up the instructions and have pasted a screenshot below.
The "Note" at the very bottom .... "volume is set to 0db in DAC mode" .... I don't get that, it only has one purpose which is to serve as a DAC so it'sll always be "In DAC Mode" ...... or have I missed something?

I'm using a streamer via optical into the DAC (I could use coax if it made any difference) and line out, but from reading that though I'm guessing there's no way I can use the volume control on the DAC as my amp has no remote so would make it easier.

1708009471760.png

Juzzie Wuzzie

The E30 II manual (as that is the version I own) says you can set it to pre OR DAC mode. I'd go to the section "Output mode setting" in the Setup section of the manual (if E30 = E30 II in the pre/DAC regard).

Witterings

The E30 II manual (as that is the version I own) says you can set it to pre OR DAC mode. I'd go to the section "Output mode setting" in the Setup section of the manual (if E30 = E30 II in the pre/DAC regard).

Yes thank you ... I ws looking in the wrong place and trying to find a button on the remote where there isn't one to change function, the button that changes the mode is the multifunction switch on the DAC itself.

I'm guess through in preamp mode it's still working as a DAC in the same way as when it's in DAC mode .... the only difference is the display?

nads

Sounds like you bought the wrong product.

a DAC generally is connected to an AMP via a line in. These expect a constant voltage. And the AMP is used to control the volume.

a Pre AMP will send a variable signal to a power AMP.

the Toping can be used as one or the other.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

Witterings

Sounds like you bought the wrong product.

a DAC generally is connected to an AMP via a line in. These expect a constant voltage. And the AMP is used to control the volume.

a Pre AMP will send a variable signal to a power AMP.

the Toping can be used as one or the other.

I didn't buy the wrong thing I've been using it as a DAC for a year but am trying test a different amp that doesn't have a DAC nor a remote.

If it can only be used as one or the other inferring it's not acting as a DAC, and the amp doesn't have a DAC, I'm taking optical out of the streamer so that's not acting as a DAC either .... what is?

Surely the E30 must be acting as a pramp and a DAC?

I'm guess through in preamp mode it's still working as a DAC in the same way as when it's in DAC mode .... the only difference is the display?
I’ve had a look out of curiosity, and I think a clearer way of stating the alternative modes might be:-

a. DAC only with fixed level output.
b. DAC with volume control, i.e. DAC and preamp.

Have you been able to change mode? (My Linn DSM offers the same choices!)

Reactions: Cork

Vincent Kars

Surely the E30 must be acting as a pramp and a DAC?
What is in a name?
In the past a DAC was indeed a box doing the DA conversion only.
Of course one could add a volume control and a headphone out too.
It then becomes a pre-amp with digital input, line out, headphone out and volume control. It might even have input selection (USB, Coax, Optical, AES) and as it is a pre-amp some even have analog input.
However, we still call it a DAC instead of a pre-amp with digital inputs.
Anyway, if you try the E30 with a analoge pre-amp, set it to DAC as a double VC is in general not convenient.

Witterings

I’ve had a look out of curiosity, and I think a clearer way of stating the alternative modes might be:-

a. DAC only with fixed level output.
b. DAC with volume control, i.e. DAC and preamp.

Have you been able to change mode? (My Linn DSM offers the same choices!)

Yes I have managed to change it and as you say I think it must be acting as per your b as there's no other DAC in the chain.

More convenient to be able to volume match amps to compare.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts