Which is the better DAC

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all just curious.

I currently have a Chromecast audio connected to my Yamaha DSP-AX761 AV receiver via mini toslink, so bypassing the Chromecast audio's DAC and using the one in the Yamaha.

Tha Yamaha's DAC is Burr Brown but from 2007, will this still be a better DAC than the Chromecast Audio even though the CCA is considerably younger than the Yamaha?

Dom

My opinion is the more connections you have the more contamination there will be emitted from your speakers. Not if one DAC is better than the other.

So you have to decide whether using the Chromecast is adding interference or not.

Less is more, but this is just a thought not a fact.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
My opinion is the more connections you have the more contamination there will be emitted from your speakers. Not if one DAC is better than the other.

So you have to decide whether using the Chromecast is adding interference or not.

Less is more, but this is just a thought not a fact.
If the Yamaha was young enough to have inbuilt streaming I wouldn't be using CCA, so less connections. CCA was a nice cheap option to add streaming to my two systems without forking out for a new amps.

The other CCA is connected to an even older Denon mini separates system using a 3.5mm to 2 RCA lead.

Reactions: Dom
Hi all just curious.

I currently have a Chromecast audio connected to my Yamaha DSP-AX761 AV receiver via mini toslink, so bypassing the Chromecast audio's DAC and using the one in the Yamaha.

Tha Yamaha's DAC is Burr Brown but from 2007, will this still be a better DAC than the Chromecast Audio even though the CCA is considerably younger than the Yamaha?
Generally built-in Dacs are usually very good quality and from experience budget or affordable Dacs tend to be much of a muchness.

I've got a DacMagic but only use it for the TV. If I was to improve on the Exposure CDP Dac I would need to spend over a grand.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi all just curious.

If you want to improve the sound of your DAC without wasting money, I would suggest purchasing SMSL SU1 DAC, I seen them going for £80 on eBay.

Reactions: Gray

Fandango Andy

Hi all just curious.

Not familiar with your amp, so no idea. I don't think the Chromecast audio has the best DAC. I used to use one (upgraded to a WiiM mini when the CCA started dropping signal) for several years. I added a £20 FiiO Taishan DAC that improved the sound. It has been suggested the phono to RCA cable was the issue not the DAC.

I now have the WiiM with an SMSL SU-1 wich is a great combination.

As others suggest, the best DAC is the one that sounds best to you.

To be fair I've not tried the CCA using it's own DAC.
If/when you do, check you have the full dynamic range setting enabled. I think they default to compressing for headphone users, or something.

It’s a while since I used mine, but it’s an amazing little thing. I used to wonder if some corporations pleaded with Google to stop selling it, lest their devices at umpteen times the price would be doomed!

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Not familiar with your amp, so no idea. I don't think the Chromecast audio has the best DAC. I used to use one (upgraded to a WiiM mini when the CCA started dropping signal) for several years. I added a £20 FiiO Taishan DAC that improved the sound. It has been suggested the phono to RCA cable was the issue not the DAC.

I now have the WiiM with an SMSL SU-1 wich is a great combination.

As others suggest, the best DAC is the one that sounds best to you.
I think if I was starting over a couple of Wiim Amps would be enough for me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts