Sky upscale through amp and tv.............

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Just been browsing the latest mag and on page111 thers a question and answer regarding the Skt HD pic setting, its recomends setting to automatic thus alowing the tv or amp to upscale the pic. So having read this i had a check on my system thinking it was set to auto then was surprised to see i had set it to 1080i, i then changed it to auto and was very surprised by the results, the standard pic and sky banner to go with it looks pretty bad and when i select a HD channel the pics good but i get an awful pic jump that some people would call a pic handshake.

Now the the sky box runs into the Pioneer lx72 amp then feed from there via hdmi to the Pioneer tv so one of these must be upscaling but i'm not sure which one.

Am i missing an obvious setting or is this just how it is?

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I'd expect the SD pic to look much better if the Kuro TV is doing the upscaling, it certainly does on mine, the scaler is much better than the one in the Sky box.

Thats what i thought being a £2000 Kuro but the SD pic is pretty poor. HD pic is quality so its doing something right somewhere. Is there a setting on yours that I should be aware of on mine?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
keiser1:
the_lhc:I'd expect the SD pic to look much better if the Kuro TV is doing the upscaling, it certainly does on mine, the scaler is much better than the one in the Sky box.

Thats what i thought being a £2000 Kuro but the SD pic is pretty poor. HD pic is quality so its doing something right somewhere. Is there a setting on yours that I should be aware of on mine?

I didn't set anything on the TV if that's what you mean, I just turned the upscaling off on the Sky box, previously I found the SD picture very very soft, mushy almost, setting the Sky box to Auto perked it right up.

What exactly would you say was wrong with the picture you see?

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:keiser1:

I didn't set anything on the TV if that's what you mean, I just turned the upscaling off on the Sky box, previously I found the SD picture very very soft, mushy almost, setting the Sky box to Auto perked it right up. What exactly would you say was wrong with the picture you see?

I see more pixilation when its on auto,its definatly not better, the banner at the bottom of the screen with the program info looks very bad to when the settings on 1080i. The screen shake as its making its mind up is a real pain aswell.

Hd picture quality is very good when in auto, that i've not got a problem with.

I wouldn't be that fussed if it wasn't a Kuro but like you said the tv should upscale better then the Sky box and i totally agree thats and thats why its bugging me!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, try taking the HDMI from the Sky straight to the TV, rather than through the amp, I don't see see pixellation or anything like that and the screen certainly doesn't shake, it just goes blank whilst it's working out the resolution, so I'm thinking the amp is interfering. Bung Sky straight into the TV to see if it's any better and then you might see where the blame lies.

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Tried the Sky straight to the tv this morning before I posted but there was no change. I would agree the screen goes blank rather then "shake", I'd read on another forum a while back where someone had the same problem but with different kit and they used the term "handshake" to describe the screen going blank.

I'm thinking I may have to admit defeat on this and when watching a film in HD i'll change the setting to auto so I know the tv is definatly doing the processing and not the Sky box.

Thanks for your replies Ihc

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
keiser1:
Tried the Sky straight to the tv this morning before I posted but there was no change. I would agree the screen goes blank rather then "shake", I'd read on another forum a while back where someone had the same problem but with different kit and they used the term "handshake" to describe the screen going blank.

Oh right, well that's normal, anytime you change the input resolution that'll happen.

I'm thinking I may have to admit defeat on this and when watching a film in HD i'll change the setting to auto so I know the tv is definatly doing the processing and not the Sky box.

Thanks for your replies Ihc

There isn't much point, the auto setting doesn't have any effect on HD pictures as they're already at 1080i, it's only really relevant to SD pictures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts