Should I be considering HD or SD performance when looking for a new TV

finlays

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'm having trouble with the editor and only the title of my question was posted initially, without the detail. The full questions should have been:

1. About half of what I watch is SD (The rest is HD, and I don't watch much 3D). If upscaling has been done by another device (Blue ray player or PVR for example) does the SD performance of the TV matter? The reason I ask is that there seems to be no one TV (42-47 inch for my £1200 budget) that is best at both. For example the What-Hifi 2012 best buy Sony (853HX) is described in a number of reviews as having fanstastic HD and 3D but is not as good with SD.

2. There are standard formulas for the optimum viewing distance of SD and HD material. What’s the formula for upscaled SD? Is it the same as normal SD, HD or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks in advance

SF

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
finlays said:
There are standard formulas for the optimum viewing distance of SD and HD material. What’s the formula for upscaled SD?

They're the same thing, if SD wasn't upscaled it would be seen in a small window in the middle of the screen with black bars all around (top bottom and both sides), so "normal" SD IS upscaled SD.

finlays said:
1. About half of what I watch is SD (The rest is HD, and I don't watch much 3D). If upscaling has been done by another device (Blue ray player or PVR for example) does the SD performance of the TV matter?

No. If the source (blu ray player / PVR) upscales SD, your TV's upscaling ability does not matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts