Samsung HU8500 Curved Ultra HD 4K LED TV Review now online

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I don't get why they aren't cramming away, trying to make OLED better. The first gen OLEDs have been the best looking sets for image quality since the last gen Pioneer's IMO. Seems a shame that Samsung, a "market leader" seem to be ignoring it as a technology.

I think Samsung has good reasons to not release OLEDs this year:

1) Pushing 4K technology and ensuring that it becomes successful means that the sets should be affordable to the masses. If you ride 4K on OLED, there's a high risk of both failing as it will be very expensive.

2) Current OLED panel yield is very poor. Besides, blue OLEDs have a limited lifespan which needs overcoming. Releasing OLEDs with half baked technology is a sure fire disaster.

3) Once 4K becomes more widely prevalent, Samsung will introduce better quality and cheaper OLEDs.

Samsung hasn't ignored OLED at all; it's simply waiting for the right time. Research is on full swing to develop it further.

T

theflyingwasp

I'm still not entirely convinced with these curved screens I would have to actually sit down and watch a film I know and like in a darkened room before I say yah or nah to these tvs .a 10minute demo wouldn't do it for me plus I believe you said it was going in the corner which has alarm bells ringing for me when it comes to viewing angles?

I am also at a loss why many manufacturers are not pushing the OLED 4k ....BUT at the same time a 65inch cuved 4k OLED would come with an eye watering price tag at the moment.

is there no chance of a motorised drop down projector elsewhere in the new house for movie night and keeping the kuro just for TV.it's still head and shoulders above 99% of the TVs out there just now for picture quality.

On the contrary, a corner set-up is likely to encompass the entire room within a narrow viewing angle.

Still thinking of placement, but have decided on a dedicated projector based home cinema in the double garage in 2015 or 2016.

The Kuro will go in the garage which is being converted into a gym. It's not practical to watch a projector while running on the treadmill!

D

Deleted member 2457

BB your destiny is calling you:

http://panastore-north.co.uk/plasma/627-txp60zt65b.html

:) Go on you know you want it! ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never got the curved screen thing for TVs. Firstly, the whole of the screen of a TV is in focus. Secondly, it narrows the viewing angle, and thirdly, unless you're sitting close enough to be at the focal point of the curve, you'll get no benefit whatsoever!

A projector screen on the other hand...

T

theflyingwasp

You know your stuff BB I'm sure whatever you settle on will look and sound great ......hell of a deal with the ZT tho throw in a cheeky wee calibration and your good to go!

Don't tell us that deal hasn't threw a spanner in the works :) greatest 1080p TV ever made at £1700 less than the samsung!

theflyingwasp said:
You know your stuff BB I'm sure whatever you settle on will look and sound great ......hell of a deal with the ZT tho throw in a cheeky wee calibration and your good to go!

Don't tell us that deal hasn't threw a spanner in the works :) greatest 1080p TV ever made at £1700 less than the samsung!

Well, the Samsung is 4K, so not a fair comparison. :)

The problem with that TV is its manufacturer. After hearing all the horror stories, I'm staying away from Panasonic. Besides, I'll buy my TV from John Lewis only, for better customer support.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
AV Forums' review doesn't make much sense to me.

A TV that reaches down to just 0.09 cd/m2 (MLL) is described as delivering "great blacks," yet last year's Sony and Samsung high end LED models managed 0.05 cd/m2. In other words, the HU8500's black level (ANSI) isn't even impressive by LED standards.

As always, the proof is in the watching rather than the numbers, but it's hard to imagine the TV producing images that don't look at least a little washed out.

strapped for cash said:

A TV that reaches down to just 0.09 cd/m2 (MLL) is described as delivering "great blacks," yet last year's Sony and Samsung high end LED models managed 0.05 cd/m2. In other words, the HU8500's black level (ANSI) isn't even impressive by LED standards.

As always, the proof is in the watching rather than the numbers, but it's hard to imagine the TV producing images that don't look at least a little washed out.

Check their very next sentence:

"The Samsung includes their Smart LED local dimming feature and unsurprisingly when activated the measured black levels reduced to 0.01cd/m2 in the low and standard settings and 0cd/m2 in the high setting."

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I've never got the curved screen thing for TVs. Firstly, the whole of the screen of a TV is in focus. Secondly, it narrows the viewing angle, and thirdly, unless you're sitting close enough to be at the focal point of the curve, you'll get no benefit whatsoever!

Sorry David, I'm certainly with you in spirit on this one, I think that curved TVs are for people with NO FRIENDS, because the sweet spot is apparently not wide enough to accommodate even two people! However, in the context of the rest of what you say, is there a word or words missing from your second sentence, which I've put in bold? :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

"The Samsung includes their Smart LED local dimming feature and unsurprisingly when activated the measured black levels reduced to 0.01cd/m2 in the low and standard settings and 0cd/m2 in the high setting."

Yes, but to my knowledge, the TV uses "edge lit local dimming" rather than full array local dimming. It's not at all clear whether the 0.01 cd/m2 figure has any bearing on what happens when the TV is displaying content.

The 0 cd/m2 figure certainly doesn't, since no LED TV (even the best full array local dimming models) can do this. The only televisions to date to manage a genuine 0 cd/m2 reading are OLED models.

The ANSI figure is the one to look at. If the TV could produce 0.01 cd/m2 (or an absolute black reading of 0 cd/m2) when lit pixels are displayed, these figures should be reflected in the ANSI graphic.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To add to the above, this prototype Panasonic uses full array local dimming and has 4K native resolution:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-studio-master-4k-lcd_TV_review

Off axis viewing still seems to be a problem, as with all LED TVS, but on axis this appears to compete with outgoing plasma models in terms of MLL.

It's also more futureproof, given the resolution, though I still have my doubts about 4K's benefits in the near future, and on anything smaller than a 55" screen.

Son_of_SJ said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Sorry David, I'm certainly with you in spirit on this one, I think that curved TVs are for people with NO FRIENDS, because the sweet spot is apparently not wide enough to accommodate even two people! However, in the context of the rest of what you say, is there a word or words missing from your second sentence, which I've put in bold? :?

I would disagree with you on this. When I demoed curved TVs, I walked around to extreme angles. It was only at extreme angles that there was significant distortion.

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

Yes, but to my knowledge, the TV uses "edge lit local dimming" rather than full array local dimming. It's not at all clear whether the 0.01 cd/m2 figure has any bearing on what happens when the TV is displaying content.

The 0 cd/m2 figure certainly doesn't, since no LED TV (even the best full array local dimming models) can do this. The only televisions to date to manage a genuine 0 cd/m2 reading are OLED models.

The ANSI figure is the one to look at. If the TV could produce 0.01 cd/m2 (or an absolute black reading of 0 cd/m2) when lit pixels are displayed, these figures should be reflected in the ANSI graphic.

I'm only giving you the rationale for AV forums' comment about "good blacks". My understanding is that Samsung uses a clever tech to produce deeper blacks which can improve picture quality.

strapped for cash said:
To add to the above, this prototype Panasonic uses full array local dimming and has 4K native resolution:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-studio-master-4k-lcd_TV_review

Off axis viewing still seems to be a problem, as with all LED TVS, but on axis this appears to compete with outgoing plasma models in terms of MLL.

It's also more futureproof, given the resolution, though I still have my doubts about 4K's benefits in the near future, and on anything smaller than a 55" screen.

BUT it's a Panasonic. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm only giving you the rationale for AV forums' comment about "good blacks". My understanding is that Samsung uses a clever tech to produce deeper blacks which can improve picture quality.

Though not in a way that produces particularly impressive native contrast. For a high-end model, the ANSI figures are fairly underwhelming.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

It's not a plasma, though.
smiley-smile.gif

And with full array local dimming, there should be no issues with backlight uniformity.

None of that excuses Panasonic's customer service history. Hopefully the TV will work properly, meaning calls to Panasonic CS won't be needed. I'm not assuming anything here. It could be a disaster in the making.

Nevertheless, of all 2014 TVs, this one has me most excited, after any OLED models LG might introduce.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
I think that curved TVs are for people with NO FRIENDS, because the sweet spot is apparently not wide enough to accommodate even two people!

I would disagree with you on this. When I demoed curved TVs, I walked around to extreme angles. It was only at extreme angles that there was significant distortion.

Well, I wisely said "apparently" :) , because I've not looked at a curved screen that closely, apart from briefly at John Lewis about two months ago!

This is what AV forums says regarding blacks:

"As is the Smart LED local dimming, which is the best implemented version of this feature we have seen to date, with deep blacks, excellent dynamic range and no perceivable loss of detail. This was evidenced by watching the notorious scene in the last Harry Potter movie where Lord Voldemort's army amasses over Hogworts. It can be a torture test for many local dimming systems but the Samsung didn't break a sweat."

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:

It's not a plasma, though.
smiley-smile.gif

And with full array local dimming, there should be no issues with backlight uniformity.

None of that excuses Panasonic's customer service history. Hopefully the TV will work properly, meaning calls to Panasonic CS won't be needed. I'm not assuming anything here. It could be a disaster in the making.

Nevertheless, of all 2014 TVs, this one has me most excited, after any OLED models LG might introduce.

It's still in the prototype stage. Not sure when the models will come (later this year or next year if Panasonic doesn't exit TV business by then). Sony's X95 excited me the most, but they're only releasing the 85-inch version in the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts