Samsung HU8500 Curved Ultra HD 4K LED TV Review now online

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
You're of course right.

I'm quite the robot and have no interest in films and television programmes on an artistic level. I watch television from a purely technical standpoint. (A smiley after a veiled insult doesn't help, by the way.)

It wasn't an insult at all. I've never ever read a single post of yours where you've said you've enjoyed watching TV. It's either about technical flaws in your TV or flaws in any film.

From being part of the 1500+ post film club thread I can confirm this certainly isn't the case. Whilst strapped and I both like to apply a critical mind to films (he with infinitely more expertise) he clearly gets a great deal of pleasure out of a large number of films. He has also been extremely helpful in directing people to other films they may enjoy off the back of the ones that have been mentioned and discussed.

BenLaw said:
From being part of the 1500+ post film club thread I can confirm this certainly isn't the case. Whilst strapped and I both like to apply a critical mind to films (he with infinitely more expertise) he clearly gets a great deal of pleasure out of a large number of films. He has also been extremely helpful in directing people to other films they may enjoy off the back of the ones that have been mentioned and discussed.

Ah....that's the only thread I don't feel welcome into (even though I know that isn't the case). :)

BenLaw said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
You're of course right.

I'm quite the robot and have no interest in films and television programmes on an artistic level. I watch television from a purely technical standpoint. (A smiley after a veiled insult doesn't help, by the way.)

It wasn't an insult at all. I've never ever read a single post of yours where you've said you've enjoyed watching TV. It's either about technical flaws in your TV or flaws in any film.

It's far deeper than that Ben. I've found myself stop enjoying films after prolonged discussions with strapped, like Prometheus. I know I will be ridiculed if I buy an LED set. I don't want to stop enjoying my purchase. I don't really care about little flaws, so I guess I'm a lot different in personality than him. It's best for me to not enter into such discussions with him again.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking forward to actually seeing this Samsung UE65HU8500, both to see it in comparison to other 4K sets and in comparison with oher curved sets, and also at what price it will be offered. So I guess that'll be in John Lewis, though I have to say that one of last year's sets from Samsung, the 65" F8000 LED, looked beautiful in Currys / PC World, even in Dynamic mode, cost £2,900 if i remember rightly. So I expect that this new Samsung UE65HU8500, will look much better still!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
It's far deeper than that Ben. I've found myself stop enjoying films after prolonged discussions with strapped, like Prometheus. I know I will be ridiculed if I buy an LED set. I don't want to stop enjoying my purchase. I don't really care about little flaws, so I guess I'm a lot different in personality than him. It's best for me to not enter into such discussions with him again.

I agree that it's best we avoid conversation, so I'll do my very best to keep out of your way.

We're certainly different in terms of personality. While I'm clearly interested in small details and tend to discuss things in such terms (to an extent that annoys some forums members), I don't ridicule people, on or offline. You're making me sound quite spiteful; and that's not my personality at all. I'll leave it there and I'll stay clear of threads you're contributing to.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Tomorrow, Wednesday, I'll be able to go to both John Lewis and to the biggest Currys / PC World in Edinburgh. I'll report back if I see this particular Samsung 65HU8500 or anything newsworthy! :)

Paul.

Here's one for the flat earthers :)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue65hu7500-smart-3d-ultra-hd-65-led-tv-22083977-pdt.html

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:

I agree that it's best we avoid conversation, so I'll do my very best to keep out of your way.

We're certainly different in terms of personality. While I'm clearly interested in small details and tend to discuss things in such terms (to an extent that annoys some forums members), I don't ridicule people, on or offline. You're making me sound quite spiteful; and that's not my personality at all. I'll leave it there and I'll stay clear of threads you're contributing to.

It's just my nature that I stop enjoying things when lots of flaws are picked up; it's got nothing to do with you at all. You're certainly not spiteful. We're quite different in nature. I cannot take things too seriously, so prefer not to enter into prolonged discussions.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Paul. said:
Here's one for the flat earthers :)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/samsung-ue65hu7500-smart-3d-ultra-hd-65-led-tv-22083977-pdt.html

That looks very good! I don't know why Currys have priced their TVs £1000 higher than others.

Yup.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Gosh, thanks for that link, simonlewis, John Archer really likes the set!

Yes, I was reading it the other day (link posted on the 1st page of this thread). So far, reviews seem positive for it.

I read elsewhere that HU8500 is the flagship model, sold as 9000 in the US.

Ahh apologies bb, it doesn't hurt to highlight it again though. :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Richer Sounds are accepting pre-orders on the step-down model that bigboss explained, the UE65HU7500, here http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65hu7500/sams-ue65hu7500 at £3,600 and they are also taking orders for the full model UE65HU8500 http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65hu8500/sams-ue65hu8500 at £4,000. Again, not sure why Currys are chariging £1,000 more. Both these Richer Sound prices include a 5-yer guarantee. They expect stock by 14th April.

simonlewis said:
bigboss said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Gosh, thanks for that link, simonlewis, John Archer really likes the set!

Yes, I was reading it the other day (link posted on the 1st page of this thread). So far, reviews seem positive for it.

I read elsewhere that HU8500 is the flagship model, sold as 9000 in the US.

Ahh apologies bb, it doesn't hurt to highlight it again though. :)

Of course not! :)

Son_of_SJ missed the link I posted, so always useful to post it again.

Son_of_SJ said:
Richer Sounds are accepting pre-orders on the step-down model that bigboss explained, the UE65HU7500, here http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65hu7500/sams-ue65hu7500 at £3,600 and they are also taking orders for the full model UE65HU8500 http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue65hu8500/sams-ue65hu8500 at £4,000. Again, not sure why Currys are chariging £1,000 more. Both these Richer Sound prices include a 5-yer guarantee. They expect stock by 14th April.

I think Currys are being cheeky in catching the early birds unawares.

Son_of_SJ said:

Good to see Richer Sounds selling it. That's where I'll buy from, if John Lewis doesn't stock the models (unlikely though).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Again, not sure why Currys are chariging £1,000 more. Both these Richer Sound prices include a 5-yer guarantee.

Damn, where's that spellcheck button where you need it on this forum? Two spelling mistakes within one line of text .....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts