Samsung HU8500 Curved Ultra HD 4K LED TV Review now online

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
So far, it's the 8500 which I like. Let's see what Sony models look like, although I'm not a big fan of the side speakers on the X9. X95 interested me the most, but that's not coming in 65-inch size in the UK.

I thought that was the case i only asked due to comments on this thread, if you go for the 8500 i would be very interested in how you get on with it.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I went to currys yest to see the curved TVS and they had the H8000 in 55 and 65, next week the rest. Prices match Richer Sounds now.

I'm not sure what to make of the curve I couldnt see any majors pluses or negatives. I looked at several angles which I prob will never sit at!

I have an open mind on the subject so may be that's why I didn't swing either way quickly. I personally think you may need to spend some time with one to really know. The assistant though was totally Curved all the way he didn't seem to have an open mind and came out with lots of reasons why it's better which I could not see with my own eyes to the extent he claimed.

I'm toying with the 7500 and 8500 big boss as well although the 55. I will need to do some extensive demoing I think! The assistant promised is can demo for as long as I need as I explained I would not be parting with over 2k without being sure with my own eyes. I think I will demo in different shops as well.

When will there be a review for the 7500?. If the curve is the only difference, not sure that's worth the extra money with what I saw. Although that's just 15 minutes with an assistant trying to brainwash me. Although I know he's only trying to do his job.

Have you seen any major differences in performance between flat and curved Big Boss or has anyone else?

thanks

Apart from the curve, the only things different between HU8500 & HU7500 is that the former has PurColor and Auto Depth Enhancer. Auto Depth Enhancer is applied in curved screens only, so probably not that important. PurColor increases colour gamut. Only a side by side demo will show if there's any difference apart from the curve.

Although Currys prices are same as Richer Sounds, it only offers a 1 year warranty. Richer Sounds offers a 5-year warranty (so does John Lewis, and they both price match as well).

Besides, Richer Sounds and John Lewis consistently feature in top 5 in customer service, and there are many complaints about Currys customer services. I would recommend buying your TV from John Lewis or Richer Sounds for superior after sales support.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I usually buy from Richer sounds, although the last time I bought an amp, Onkyo 709 which the manufacturer did a recall on a batch range

Which mine was in. They proceeded to send me 2 more in the same range assuring they we're not the faulty batch numbers. I was actually checking them when they were giving me them as it was a simple case of checking the batch number against the website. They finally got it right on the 4th new amp.

I was happy with the fact they were replacing them no questions but couldn't understand why they were not checking them, they said they were! When they obviously we're not and I found this all a bit frustrating and made my feelings clear after the 2nd one This was over a period of six to eight weeks :wall:

maybe I will try richer sounds again

cheers

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I usually buy from Richer sounds, although the last time I bought an amp, Onkyo 709 which the manufacturer did a recall on a batch range

Which mine was in. They proceeded to send me 2 more in the same range assuring they we're not the faulty batch numbers. I was actually checking them when they were giving me them as it was a simple case of checking the batch number against the website. They finally got it right on the 4th new amp.

I was happy with the fact they were replacing them no questions but couldn't understand why they were not checking them, they said they were! When they obviously we're not and I found this all a bit frustrating and made my feelings clear after the 2nd one This was over a period of six to eight weeks :wall:

maybe I will try richer sounds again

cheers

At least Richer Sounds were responsive. :)

Check these 754 reviews about Currys:

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.currys.co.uk

John Lewis and Richer Sounds in top 5, and Currys in bottom 10 in this survey:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2147532/Halfords-voted-worst-customer-service-Which-High-Street-survey.html

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Wow thanks for this looks like I won't be going to currys.

Your right seems some people just can't speak to someone complete joke.

Not being able to speak to someone tends to make me feel aggressive!

I will use Richer Sounds I think at least I know at worst I will get it sorted.

Cheers

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

it seems john Lewis's service is not great either!

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.johnlewis.com

compared the hu7500 v hi 8500 today not much in it,

but the curve is growing on me!

All forum members who bought a TV from John Lewis have had positive experiences. John Lewis also features in top 5 in customer service in various surveys. They're certainly more generous than others when sorting out problems.

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Big Boss,

Ok that's sounds more positive.

One thing with Richer sounds there recent negative reviews on trust pilot( I didn't go miles back so can't comment how long ) and other sites including this one are replied with a response from someone high up including the founder himself and there email provided, I have not seen this from JL or Currys and others.

It think this demonstrates they take this seriously and care, there staff must be aware now that they run the risk of being on people's radar they wouldn't want to be.

Thanks

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi big Bioss

thanks good link to read

I have bought quite a lot of items from richer sounds and sevenoaks and will be using richer sounds for my new 4k tv after this research.

saw the Hu7500 side by side with the hu8500 both have impressive picture quality and standard definition when upscaled looked pretty damned good to me on both sets very impressed as I was standing only 4 foot away.

may wait till the World Cup comes out to buy as I'm sure prices will drop by then and some reviews of the hu7500 will come out.

do you think prices will drop BB around World Cup. Have you decided on a 4k yet flat or curved, my wife likes the curve and thinks it makes the picture better and she is impartial it just a tv to her!

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi

yes I agree flat on wall and curve on a stand not sure what it would look like on the wall,the only thing is the stand means the tv can't go right back as the stand protrudes four inches plus behind the tv . Which didn't look obvious from the pictures. So I might have to wall mount to avoid the gap

The curved is also heavier according to the specs.

Cheers

ChristianCorrine

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Yeah agreed

Yeah, will have to decide whether to just use stand if I go for the curve.

I have a BDI Ola cabinet and it will fit on there fine and prob look the part with the curve of the unit. 8)

i saw the 65hu7500 today and it looks great.

Cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know how long the cable is that connects the 'one stop box' (not sure of the technical name!) to the tv? And can you get a longer one from Samsung?

cheers

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to make this point rather late in the day. The current (June 2014, number 234) issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine has a four-page review of the Samsung UE65HU8500 television, by John Archer, who wrote a slightly different review on Trusted Reviews. To quote one line from HCC, "First, its picture quality is absolutely stellar."

TRENDING THREADS