Russ Andrews Inline Attenuator

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I was browsing the Russ andrews web and this inline attenuator claim to solve brightness .

does anyone have install the inline attenuator with good results?

Is that so that brighness is caused by the "wrong attenuation level" as explained by Russ andrews as below? so by adding attenuator plugs there is better result?

"Ever noticed that the sound from CD sounds 'bright' or harsh? The problem is very common and is caused by the relatively high outputs from a CD player 'overloading' the amplifier's input. And amazingly, the problem even occurs from equipment from the same manufacturer. If the CD player's output is correctly matched to the amplifier's input, for average listening your amp's volume control should be in the centre of its range. This allows you to play your music very quietly when needed (for late night listening) but also very loud if needed. "

Best Rgds,

Alvin

A

Anonymous

Hi Alvin

I have used in line attenuators with good results and still using it. But Russ Andrews was too expecsive for me. At less than half the price you can get Rothwell Audio Inline Attenuators which I am using. Russ Andrews is having better build quality and using WBT plugs, however the price is high.

Improvements with attenuators are: more detail and depth, you can turn up the volume to higher listening levels (not just the volume knob position - higher sound levels) without the sound getting harsh. CDs sound more analogue like.

I was skeptic about the improvements but when I tried it, I was blown away. I would definitely recommend this if you are facing a problem of harshness in CD sound. Rothwell attenuators are well worth the price. This was also 5 star rated!

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/what-hi-fi_review.html

A

Anonymous

attenuators don't change thez sound you only need them if the input level to the amp is too high otherwise dont bother

A

Anonymous

thats the reason you use attenuators or shouldnt i say that

A

Anonymous

I use a kimber attenuated interconnect from my cd player, when i bought it from RA i was asked which player to which amp and the level of attenuation was applied ( arcam alpha 8se cd into arcam alpha 8 amp ) i don't own the arcams any more but i still find the attenuated interconnect to be a touch sweeter than any of the others in my systems, cable talk broadcast 2, straightwire chorus, qed connect 2, to be honest i'm not really sure whether it's the attenuation or the quality of the actual cable that i'm responding to, the level of attenuation is around -12db.

A

Anonymous

Haven't looked at the Rothwell site info, but RA has a chart on the site to see what the relevant input/output levels are on the CD/AMP to allow you to get the correct level of attenuation. [whoever you buy from that may help - if Rothwell do different levels as RA do]

A

Anonymous

I resently found this, it may have some relevence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

A

Anonymous

I also use the Rothwells. For what it's worth, I've found that they have no appreciable effect on the sound quality, just the volume.

idc

tractorboy:I also use the Rothwells. For what it's worth, I've found that they have no appreciable effect on the sound quality, just the volume.

I had RA attenuated cables and I partly agree with Tractorboy. I found that by increasing the usable volume range there was an increase in SQ. At lower volumes the music sounded clearer and more alive. At higher volumes there was less distortion.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I read it can soften up to bright sound, i don't have bright sound but i have maybe a tad to much upfront sound.

If its down to my amp or the mains power, i don't know.

Maybe this may be a solution but i first going to tackle my mains power ans see what it will do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts