BR02 BT feedback

matthewpianist

OK, so I have been listening to the Triangle BR02 BT - the powered version of the standard BR02 (which I have owned previously). I've also swapped out the Bluesound Node 2i for a WiiM Pro - an interesting move based on things I've read. I've put the hi-fi rack and speaker stands in the garage and set things up in a way which will probably horrify some, and would have horrified me at one time:

DSC_3118[57].png

I've got the supplied ribber isolating feet on the speakers, and the sideboard is very sturdy. I've connected things up as follows:

Turntable to amp - stereo RCAs into the phono stage that't built in to the Triangles
CD player - Coaxial into the Triangles' DAC
Streamer - line-level into the stereo mini-jack input on the Triangles.

All the action takes place in the right-hand speaker, which houses the amplification, DAC, phono stage, BT transmitter and power. This is connected to the left (passive) speaker with a single stereo run of speaker cable (the silver-plated OFC copper one supplied in the box.

In accordance with the reviews I've read of the BR03 BT, the BR02 BT sound awful out of the box. Resetting the EQ to flat solves this completely. Goodness knows why they're shipped that way, but it's not big issue and requires on touch of a button on the remote control. That done, they sound truly superb, combining very high levels of detail and clarity with even-handed tonal production and plenty of power when needed. They sound considerably better than I ever got the passive versions to sound, decent thought they were. Even the phono stage is very good, though I do have an iFi Zen one lurking around with which I'll compare it when I get a chance (the RCA inputs on the Triangles are switchable from line to phono).

Then there's the WiiM Pro. I know everyone loves Bluesound, to the point where increasing numbers of manufacturers are integrating it. I like it a lot too, apart from some instability of connection between the app and unit on occasion. It have often heard it sound better when using an external DAC rather than the built-in one. Lots of people talk positively about the WiiM Pro, so I thought it worth trying. Personally, and so far, I think it's better. The app is even nicer to use, and the sound using the built-in DAC is of a very high calibre - involving, open and well balanced with plenty of punch when required.

So, positioning to make most audiophiles cringe, budget speakers with the amp built in, basic cabling... It sounds great and I've got plenty of experience to compare it with. I could see myself eventually losing the turntable and making it even more compact, but I'm not ready for that yet. I think the WiiM is going to become my main source because it offers so much in excellent sound and with easy use.

Gray

Active or powered speakers have been around for decades, nowadays they are better promoted as they are added to companies already good rep for passive monitors. Most companies offer active or powered or wireless versions.
When I said 'the likes of that' PP, I was specifically talking about the items in question.
I'm well aware that powered speakers are (obviously) not new.
Streamers obviously weren't around.

But the facilities / sound quality / compactness / overall value on offer now.....,don't know about you, but no way was anything like it available when I started out - nor for decades after.

That was the point. Had it been available, much money would have been saved (doubt I'd have got through so many separates and speakers).

Reactions: WayneKerr
I've occasionally thought about active or powered speakers, not sure which ones would me the best. As my system is mainly analogue, do I keep the Leema and use it as a preamp or sell the whole lot and start from scratch?

Although I'm perfectly content with my bundles, I'm like most music fans there's the occasion tingle, after Matthew's appraisal, of 'what if'?

matthewpianist

I've thought about active or powered speakers several times over the years, and connectivity is the thing which has most put me off. The Triangles have all the connectivity I need, and I like Triangle speakers in general, so it was an easy decision for me to give these a go.

They won't be everyone's cup of tea, and certainly not for anyone who enjoys the look and tactility of having a significant stack of components, but they combine everything I need whilst giving me all the performance I want.

Tipi

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
OK, so I have been listening to the Triangle BR02 BT - the powered version of the standard BR02 (which I have owned previously). I've also swapped out the Bluesound Node 2i for a WiiM Pro - an interesting move based on things I've read. I've put the hi-fi rack and speaker stands in the garage and set things up in a way which will probably horrify some, and would have horrified me at one time:

View attachment 5084

I've got the supplied ribber isolating feet on the speakers, and the sideboard is very sturdy. I've connected things up as follows:

Turntable to amp - stereo RCAs into the phono stage that't built in to the Triangles
CD player - Coaxial into the Triangles' DAC
Streamer - line-level into the stereo mini-jack input on the Triangles.

All the action takes place in the right-hand speaker, which houses the amplification, DAC, phono stage, BT transmitter and power. This is connected to the left (passive) speaker with a single stereo run of speaker cable (the silver-plated OFC copper one supplied in the box.

In accordance with the reviews I've read of the BR03 BT, the BR02 BT sound awful out of the box. Resetting the EQ to flat solves this completely. Goodness knows why they're shipped that way, but it's not big issue and requires on touch of a button on the remote control. That done, they sound truly superb, combining very high levels of detail and clarity with even-handed tonal production and plenty of power when needed. They sound considerably better than I ever got the passive versions to sound, decent thought they were. Even the phono stage is very good, though I do have an iFi Zen one lurking around with which I'll compare it when I get a chance (the RCA inputs on the Triangles are switchable from line to phono).

Then there's the WiiM Pro. I know everyone loves Bluesound, to the point where increasing numbers of manufacturers are integrating it. I like it a lot too, apart from some instability of connection between the app and unit on occasion. It have often heard it sound better when using an external DAC rather than the built-in one. Lots of people talk positively about the WiiM Pro, so I thought it worth trying. Personally, and so far, I think it's better. The app is even nicer to use, and the sound using the built-in DAC is of a very high calibre - involving, open and well balanced with plenty of punch when required.

So, positioning to make most audiophiles cringe, budget speakers with the amp built in, basic cabling... It sounds great and I've got plenty of experience to compare it with. I could see myself eventually losing the turntable and making it even more compact, but I'm not ready for that yet. I think the WiiM is going to become my main source because it offers so much in excellent sound and with easy use.
Was there a reason you ended BR02 and not BR03 version?

matthewpianist

Did you try Q Acoustics M20 actives?

No, I didn't feel the need to. Like the Triangles, they're powered rather than active - both manufacturers and some retailers slightly mis-use the word 'active'.

I know Q Acoustics speakers well, and I previously owned a standard pair of BR02 so I had sufficient knowledge to make a decision.

Reactions: Tipi

matthewpianist

UPDATE:

I have been experiencing bass issues. I know this is largely down to positioning and room - the sideboard is acting like the soundboard of a piano (though not anything like the quality of the spruce used therein, and not remotely structured to support speakers properly). The room has also proven to have resonances at some frequencies across a range of speakers, and my acoustic piano is also in there to add to the fun.

I've used the parametric equaliser in the WiiM Pro to introduce a dramatic curve from the mid-bass downwards and that has largely resolved the issue, so I'll have to see how things go. They are quite bassy speakers, certainly more so than the JBL 52L. I still have those tucked away, though I don't currently own an amplifier and I may need to sell them anyway.

I have brought the Technics down from the bedroom and it sounds surprisingly good - very even tonally, plenty of grunt and a soundstage far bigger and more natural than you would ever expect. It's a different beast downstairs than upstairs in the bedroom.

Reactions: WayneKerr and JDL

matthewpianist

UPDATE 2:

I've arranged to return the Triangles. They've got lots going for them, but they're too bass-heavy for the current environment. I'm not entirely sure what to do now, but I do still have the JBL Classic 52L to hand and they're much better suited to the situation.

I want to keep things compact (and affordable), so I'm reviewing my options, which include simply using the Technics all-in-one for now and keeping the JBLs boxed up for a rainy day. Then there's the thought of a Marantz MCR-612 or Denon CEOL N11 with the JBLs...

Reactions: WayneKerr
UPDATE 2:

I've arranged to return the Triangles. They've got lots going for them, but they're too bass-heavy for the current environment. I'm not entirely sure what to do now, but I do still have the JBL Classic 52L to hand and they're much better suited to the situation.

I want to keep things compact (and affordable), so I'm reviewing my options, which include simply using the Technics all-in-one for now and keeping the JBLs boxed up for a rainy day. Then there's the thought of a Marantz MCR-612 or Denon CEOL N11 with the JBLs...
Might Acoustic Energy AE1 actives ŵork for you? They look especially nice in the shiny wood finish and they pop up used fairly regularly.

matthewpianist

Might Acoustic Energy AE1 actives ŵork for you? They look especially nice in the shiny wood finish and they pop up used fairly regularly.

It's a very good suggestion, but way out of current financial capabilities unfortunately. Thank you though.

I listened to the Technics last night and I remain surprised at how convincing it sounds in the main listening space. It's a cliche I know, but the box does pretty much disappear. I may just use that for now, and give things some thought.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts