Denon AVR-X6400H random muting with Blusound Node 2i

AlTheRoadie

Oct 26, 2023
Visit site
I have a Node 2i which I use for streaming. The Node 2i is connected to my Denon AVR-X6400H via RCA cables.

From day one, I've had an issue with the setup in that the Denon will suddenly mute itself when playing music fed from the Node 2i. I then have to turn muting off in order to continue listening. It's a fairly random phenomenon and doesn't seem to follow any particular pattern. It can go 30 minutes without doing it, then do it 3 times in a minute. It does it when the system is cold, it does it when the system has warmed up.

Intriguingly, I had a period of about 3 months when I was trying out Roon and the problem didn't occur once in that entire period. The period of using Roon, coupled with the regularity of the problem when not using Roon essentially proves that using Roon, somehow solves the issue. However, the only difference between using Roon and not using Roon is how the digital data is streamed to the Node 2i. When using Roon, the data stream from the streaming service is firstly streamed to Roon, which may process the data slightly (I don't know?), then streamed from Roon through to the Node 2i. The physical connection from the Node 2i to the Denon is exactly the same whether I use Roon or not. I did discuss the problem with the Denon experts at my local HiFi shop and they categorically said that the Denon cannot be muted by anything to do with the input signal. Well they must be wrong because it can only be the input signal that is causing the Denon to randomly mute. I use the Denon for multiple other sources (TV box, Apple TV, XBox, DVD player, Turntable) and none of these inputs have ever caused the Denon to mute itself in the 5 years or so I've had it. I have also tried using a different input at the back of the Denon for the Node 2i's signal and I get the same issue. Somehow, the analogue input to the Denon from the Node 2i is causing the Denon to mute itself (unless I use Roon to manage the stream to the Node 2i, in which case, the problem doesn't occur).

The only thing I can think is that maybe the Denon has some kind of built-in protection where it mutes itself if it detects a spike on the input channel? According to the experts I talked to though, that isn't/can't be the case. Any thoughts anyone?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem and/or how to resolve it? Having an amp that randomly mutes itself when playing music is kinda frustrating.

AlTheRoadie

Oct 26, 2023
Visit site
Did you try an optical connection from the Node to the receiver?

Does it mute if using headphones? No particular reason for asking this question other than curiosity.
No I've not tried optical connection but that wouldn't fully solve the issue for me anyway as I specifically want to use the D-A conversion in the Node 2i rather than the Denon's D-A.

I haven't tried headphones but again, I want to be able to listen through my speakers so using headphones wouldn't resolve the issue.

:)

No I've not tried optical connection but that wouldn't fully solve the issue for me anyway as I specifically want to use the D-A conversion in the Node 2i rather than the Denon's D-A.

I haven't tried headphones but again, I want to be able to listen through my speakers so using headphones wouldn't resolve the issue.

:)
Notwithstanding your preference, these alternatives might help track down the issue, so I’d recommend experimenting.

I‘m with you in that it must be the input somehow, but what the ‘conflict’ is I can’t imagine. I would also try connecting the Denon and Node into different mains sockets in case the ‘spike’ is an earth or supply issue, although that seems unlikely.

Reactions: Al ears

DCarmi

You have a problem that you cannot identify. You need to try to isolate the problem, which is why I suggested testing the optical output and headphones.

Usually the only automatic way that systems are muted is when headphones are attached. If the problem does not exist when using headphones then you've narrowed the it down. You don't actually need to listen to the headphones, just see if they cut out. Similarly with the optical connection.

I am not saying that either will solve the problem.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts