TV Vs. Streamer as main source

Holtman

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I've been wondering for a while if I can improve my source for my setup: Focal 918 Profiles, Hegel H80, QED Genesis Silver.

As the Hegel has an internal DAC my main source is my TV connected via optical cable, using mainly Spotify for music, overall all the sound is great, buy I feel it can be better.
I've been trying Tidal and did not notice anything special.

I'm thinking to add a streamer as a source using Tidal /Qobuz with a streamer that can support all formats.

The first question is, is it worth buying a streamer, subscribing to high-res music streaming?
If the answer is yes, I have a budget of ~ $500.

I'm thinking about:
- Bluesound Node 2i
- iFi Zen Streamer
- Wiim mini/ pro

As I don't need a DAC, I'm leaning towards the Wiim, which will let me save extra bucks and has great reviews. Should I consider anything else?

Thanks,

daveh75

The first question is, is it worth buying a streamer, subscribing to high-res music streaming?

You'd be in a very small, exceptional group if you could "hear" a difference between lossy and high-res formats

You can test if you can tell the difference below

High-res streaming is largely a waste of money and bandwidth ime

If the answer is yes, I have a budget of ~ $500.

I'm thinking about:
- Bluesound Node 2i
- iFi Zen Streamer
- Wiim mini/ pro

As I don't need a DAC, I'm leaning towards the Wiim, which will let me save extra bucks and has great reviews. Should I consider anything else?

Thanks,

As you wouldn't be using its internal DAC, then, no.

Last edited:

abacus

Not all apps are the same on all products i.e. a lot of TV apps just output the sound at 16/44 no matter what the resolution of the stream is.
The only way to be sure is to compare the 2 side by side to see if you can hear a difference between your TV and a Streamer.
If you are a Prime subscriber also trial Amazons HD streaming service as it is cheaper than the others, with its main disadvantage being its user interface which falls way behind Spotify. (As do most other streaming apps)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts