Russ Andrews falls foul of Advertising Standards Authority

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh come on, Andrew, they'd never expect 'dozy bint' and co. to be alert to such works of genius
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Oh come on, Andrew, they'd never expect 'dozy bint' and co. to be alert to such works of genius
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Let alone a 'silly cow' as one of the founders there, allegedly a 'PR guru' I seem to remember, claims he described you to one of our bosses. Kinda shows you the level on which they operate.

But then since one of them claims to have been the person who originally complained to the ASA, I suppose they feel the need to make as much fuss as possible. What was it Andy Warhol said about 15 minutes of fame?

And contrary to Miller-8's post, we remain entirely sober.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Erm, i dont really care, but isnt the point that the person they got to test the claims isnt actually anything to do with electricity, but acoustics, highly relevant, or am i missing something?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Erm, i dont really care, but isnt the point that the person they got to test the claims isnt actually anything to do with electricity, but acoustics, highly relevant, or am i missing something?[/quote]

I would have thought so - a bit like getting a man who does interior design for a living to check out the safety of your gas installation.

But then I could be wrong - I have just read this pearl of wisdom:

"A Professor of Acoustics is not qualified? How could
anyone be a Professor of Acoustics without knowing quite a lot about
electrical engineering also?"

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't that be a bit like getting an English graduate to give advice on hi-fi technicalities?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Absolutely - which is why I would never agree to be used in the investigation of a regulatory matter such as this.

Strange, though, that with over 25 years' experience as a consumer journalist, I am still an 'English graduate' in your eyes. I find it helps with the writing a bit, though...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
might have a point there i guess. be interesting to see if the results of their own investigations are posted here. however, they do seem to have been guilty of being, strictly speaking, unable to backup their claims scientifically. Even if they had been able to, they (and any other cable manufacturer), could presumable only say "OK, we've done the tests and these are the results. Whether or not your ears can hear the diference is another matter". But that wouldnt be a great sales technique. I should, to be fair, repeat that russ andrews gives a money back satisfaction guarantee, doesnt he? So you can find out if your ears can hear the diference.

TRENDING THREADS