Russ Andrews falls foul of Advertising Standards Authority

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Sprockens"]

[quote user="BlueMax"]Therefore is it necessary for such a person to make a living by sinking to this level?[/quote]

He sank a long time ago.

[/quote]

Can we please stick to discussing the ruling, and hold off on the personal abuse, please?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="Sprockens"]

[quote user="BlueMax"]Therefore is it necessary for such a person to make a living by sinking to this level?[/quote]

He sank a long time ago.

[/quote]

Can we please stick to discussing the ruling, and hold off on the personal abuse, please?

[/quote]

Hear, hear - let's just keep this at the level of poking fun and, frankly, I am poking fun more at the consumers than RA himself! :)

A

Anonymous

"If this isn't just a £30 kettle lead, I'll eat my hat"
The Guardian Challenge

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/jan/07/badscience.uknews

That was in a national newspaper, two years ago.
It may be that hi-fi flora did not notice or that memories are short; Russy got away with it and carried on selling the stuff.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Ryelane"]Russ Andrews cables don't stand up to scientific scrutiny in this case.[/quote]

Not really what the ruling said, or was about: what didn't stand up to scrutiny by the independent expert the ASA called were the claims RA made, and the evidence he provided in support of them.

The cables weren't tested by the ASA, just the advertising for them.

Phil Hansen

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
On behalf of Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd. please find below the company's response to the ASA ruling:

"The ASA (Advertising Standards Agency) has adjudicated against our claims that the crossing of the wires in a woven mains cable reduces RFI and our claims that eliminating spikes on the mains lowers the audio noise floor.

They have taken a year to find an expert to advise them, but their expert is a Professor of Acoustics and not someone who, in our view, is qualified to pass judgement on a matter we believe to be of electrical engineering.

We are insensed at what we feel is a serious injustice.

The ASA has told us that we cannot use these claims again unless we could substantiate them with robust scientific evidence.

We have, therefore, commissioned a Research Scientist to investigate our claims and provide such evidence."

Red Sheep
Marketing Communications

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Phil Hansen"]

On behalf of Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd. please find below the company's response to the ASA ruling:

"The ASA (Advertising Standards Agency) has adjudicated against our claims that the crossing of the wires in a woven mains cable reduces RFI and our claims that eliminating spikes on the mains lowers the audio noise floor.

They have taken a year to find an expert to advise them, but their expert is a Professor of Acoustics and not someone who, in our view, is qualified to pass judgement on a matter we believe to be of electrical engineering.

We are insensed at what we feel is a serious injustice.

The ASA has told us that we cannot use these claims again unless we could substantiate them with robust scientific evidence.

We have, therefore, commissioned a Research Scientist to investigate our claims and provide such evidence."

Red Sheep
Marketing Communications

[/quote]

You need a respected professor of electrical homeopathy if you are really expecting a favourable report.

Or, given the unlikely event of finding one perhaps lying low for a while might be a better strategy.
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Sprockens"]

You need a respected professor of electrical homeopathy if you are really expecting a favourable report.

Or, given the unlikely event of finding one perhaps lying low for a while might be a better strategy.
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

No need to be abusive, Sprockens.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Sprockens"]

emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

A bit unfair. Everyone should have the right to defend themselves against (perhaps) unjust accusations. Even though I've yet to hear some of the improvements claimed I also believe that the people at RA and the man himself are passionate about music, HIFI and ther business. Lets wait and see.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="BlueMax"]ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) condemns Russ Andrews and ruled that he breached number of CAP (Committee of Advertising Practice) Codes that cover Substantiation, Truthfulness, and Comparisons. http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_44177.htm Some people, crafty hi-fi salesmen included, try to justify themselves by claiming that it is their 'opinion', no matter it is devious, mis-leading or utter rubbish! ASA Adjudication is very thorough. It concludes by asserting, "We told Russ Andrews not use the claims again unless they could substantiate them with robust scientific evidence." Will Mr. Russ Andrews stop his tactics or will he, the sort of clever man that he is, find ways around CAP Codes? I would also like to see withdrawal of some of his offerings; voluntarily or otherwise[/quote]

This issue has just been discussed in length.

His company is no worse or better than many others.

[/quote]

That's no excuse.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="mr_wazoo"]

That's no excuse.

[/quote]

Excuse for what?

[/quote]

Letting him off with it! It's no excuse at all that there are other companies out there like his. You were suggesting it was. Russ deserves everything he gets here, I've been getting his idiotic catalogue through my door for about 8 years now and these days I just flick through it and laugh at all his claims. He's brought this on himself 100%.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mr_wazoo"][quote user="drummerman"]

[quote user="mr_wazoo"]

That's no excuse.

[/quote]

Excuse for what?

[/quote]

Letting him off with it! It's no excuse at all that there are other companies out there like his. You were suggesting it was. Russ deserves everything he gets here, I've been getting his idiotic catalogue through my door for about 8 years now and these days I just flick through it and laugh at all his claims. He's brought this on himself 100%.

[/quote]

Russ saw that there were a large number of erm, well, shall we say not fully clued up punters (WHF readers perhaps?) with loads of money and catered for them. They buy the magic, listen to it and like it and everyone's happy.

It's religion with wires.

A

Anonymous

How will the hi-fi press handle this development?

Will they close ranks and try and sweep it under the carpet or will any of them alert their readership of this type of goings on?

It will be re-assuring to see them report it; at least as a news item!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="BlueMax"]How will the hi-fi press handle this development?

Will they close ranks and try and sweep it under the carpet or will any of them alert their readership of this type of goings on?

It will be re-assuring to see them report it; at least as a news item![/quote]

My bet is under the carpet. I hope I'm wrong.
emotion-8.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, this thriving Forum thread has been up here since Wednesday afternoon, and it's still going strong
emotion-3.gif

Why would you expect us to sweep it under the carpet?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Sprockens"]
Russ saw that there were a large number of erm, well, shall we say not fully clued up punters (WHF readers perhaps?) with loads of money and catered for them. They buy the magic, listen to it and like it and everyone's happy.

It's religion with wires.

[/quote]

Maybe you'd prefer to stick to your more usual Forum haunts if you don't like our advice? Just a thought...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site

Well done - you even kept the same wording you were using in that thread where you were planning to post here.

Not going to delete it - so yes, lots of people will get to see it before Monday - but given the deeply insulting nature of your thread elsewhere with regard to this magazine and members of its staff, may I politely suggest you now fold up your tent and head on back to the reservation?

A

Anonymous

Maybe ban the whiners, cable skeptics and all round miseries who unfortunately post on this thread and can't let people have their own opinions without getting nasty.

I've only been watching this excellent site for a few months, but they do spoil it, especially coming around with new login names - cowards. I've read people slagging off someone else's choice of kit - staggering!

Let people make their own minds up and but what they like.

I might pay a visit to Russ Andrews' site next..........

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Well done - you even kept the same wording you were using in that thread where you were planning to post here.

Not going to delete it - so yes, lots of people will get to see it before Monday, but given the deeply insulting nature of your thread elsewhere with regard to this magazine and members of its staff, may I politely suggest you now fold up your tent and head on back to the reservation?

[/quote]

Well it's nice to know you're keeping an eye on us. :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Sprockens"]Russ saw that there were a large number of erm, well, shall we say not fully clued up punters (WHF readers perhaps?) with loads of money and catered for them. They buy the magic, listen to it and like it and everyone's happy.[/quote]

Ah right - and which of the foul-mouthed people with feathers in their hats are you? I think insulting the readers of the magazine is sufficiently in contravention of our house rules to earn you a ban

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mr_wazoo"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Not going to delete it - so yes, lots of people will get to see it before Monday, but given the deeply insulting nature of your thread elsewhere with regard to this magazine and members of its staff, may I politely suggest you now fold up your tent and head on back to the reservation?

[/quote]

Well it's nice to know you're keeping an eye on us. :)
[/quote]

Are you insinuating that the hifi press is in the back pocket of the 'industry'? If so, every item would have 5 stars and win every award!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mr_wazoo"]Well it's nice to know you're keeping an eye on us. :)[/quote]

Naive of you to assume, as you did in your plotting and scheming, that we wouldn't be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts