Russ Andrews has amended wordings of Sky HD box listing (ASA response)

A few days ago, there was a thread on here about Russ Andrews Sky HD box and some tall claims in the listing, claiming improved performance. I had mentioned in the thread that I reported this to ASA. Can anyone find that thread for me please? Since then, Russ Andrews has heavily edited and changed the wordings. Here's the response I got:

YOUR COMPLAINT – RUSS ANDREWS ACCESSORIES LTD

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority. I’m sorry to hear that this matter has caused you concern.

Whilst investigating your complaint we noted that the information on the advertiser’s website appears to have changed since your initial enquiry (http://www.russandrews.com/russ-andrews-sky-hd-settop-box/). Our work is primarily concerned with current advertising, so I would appreciate it if you could take a look at the revised version of the product description and let me to know if any claims remain which you consider misleading along with some information as to why you consider this to be the case.

I look forward to hearing from you. So that we can continue as quickly as possible, I would appreciate it if you could send me this information by Wednesday 27 January. If you need more time for any reason, or have any questions, please let me know. If we do not hear from you by then, we will assume that you no longer wish to pursue your complaint with the ASA.

Yours sincerely

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cheeseboy said:
well at least we now know russ andrews scours these forums!

I think he can afford to pay someone to scour all the forums full time.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Just looked at the ad but can't remember the old version. It seems the new ad claims absolutely nothing - just simply lists the component upgrades without claiming any benefits to these changes. Well done BB. An interesting result when this well known supplier is unable (apparently) to support claims of improved PQ/SQ. A small fish in a big sea of unsubstantiated claims across the industry which is largely beyond the jurisdiction of UK ASA rulings.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
one always has to cast doubts over any manufacturer that is so quick to redact claims they cannot prove when the asa gets involved. Obviously they don't have the conviction of their words, which makes you wonder about anything else they may sell.

If they truely believed it, they could produce evidence or at least put up a fight, but no, as they are well aware it's just all sales bluff and lets be honest, it's just lying by any other name.

RobinKidderminster said:
Just looked at the ad but can't remember the old version. It seems the new ad claims absolutely nothing - just simply lists the component upgrades without claiming any benefits to these changes. Well done BB. An interesting result when this well known supplier is unable (apparently) to support claims of improved PQ/SQ. A small fish in a big sea of unsubstantiated claims across the industry which is largely beyond the jurisdiction of UK ASA rulings.
Vladimir copy pasted the original claims in the other thread I cannot find now.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Vladimir copy pasted the original claims in the other thread I cannot find now.

That's what happens when the OP uses commentary in the subject field instead of actual subject of the topic. It becomes unsearchable. Good thing I remembered he used "spoof" in the title so I found it in my browsing history. Link

The whole page they deleted is still cached by Google. Link But that is the edited version. A lot of the claims are gone, especially the video 'improvement'.

Vladimir said:
That's what happens when the OP uses commentary in the subject field instead of actual subject of the topic. It becomes unsearchable. Good thing I remembered he used "spoof" in the title so I found it in my browsing history. Link

The whole page they deleted is still cached by Google. Link But that is the edited version. A lot of the claims are gone, especially the video 'improvement'.
Agreed. It doesn't help either, when it's posted in the Hi Fi section!!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I often take screen captures of contentious things on websites (not necessarily anything to do with audio-visual equipment) so that I have a permanent record even if, as here, the website is later changed. The free program GIMP is my friend!

This was the original claim:

- IEC socket replaces existing figure 8 socket, which is additionally earthed to the chassis. This allows you to use your choice of mains cable fitted with a standard IEC plug – choose from any in our range of mains cables, from the PowerMax Plus upwards - and earthing the casework brings about further sound quality improvements

- Silencer components are fitted to the IEC input. Silencer reduces mains noise giving a smoother sound with less sibilance and better picture quality. SuperClamp components fitted along with the Silencer help to reduce mains spikes and surges

- Optical and coaxial digital outputs component upgrades. Key capacitor upgrades on the optical and coaxial digital outputs have a large effect on sound quality, allowing a smoother and more natural sound

- HDMI output upgrades. Key component upgrades to HDMI outputs improve picture and sound quality

- Power supply capacitors upgraded. Upgrading power supply capacitors has a marked effect in performance, giving a cleaner, sweeter sound

- Big Cone Feet (included loose) can be fitted to the unit. We include three Big Cone Feet with the unit for best support and performance.

- Capacitor upgrades to tuner input. Our tests show this brings large improvements in sound and picture quality

- Fitted with Clarity Mains filter. In addition to the Silencer we also add a Clarity Mains filter to the box for even more noise reduction producing clearer, cleaner sound and vision.

Screenshots will not help as ASA would have advised they amend the wordings, which they already did.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as I'm getting really bored *boredom* of all this RA bashing, as I said in a reply to the original thread which started all this, if you don't like RA's products or opinions then don't visit their website, leave it to people like me and others who can form there own opinions and decide if we wish to purchase their products or not.

Oh and by the way RA has been offering upgraded Sky hd boxes ever since they came out so this is nothing new and if I had the budget I would definitely buy one.(my money,my decision).

ps. This will be my only visit to what in my opinion was a pointless thread to begin with.

*bye*

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
macdiddy said:
as I'm getting really bored *boredom* of all this RA bashing, as I said in a reply to the original thread which started all this, if you don't like RA's products or opinions then don't visit their website, leave it to people like me and others who can form there own opinions and decide if we wish to purchase their products or not.

Oh and by the way RA has been offering upgraded Sky hd boxes ever since they came out so this is nothing new and if I had the budget I would definitely buy one.(my money,my decision).

ps. This will be my only visit to what in my opinion was a pointless thread to begin with.

*bye*

nice to hear people are happy to have vendors lie to them.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
So really - all RA left out was any claim that spending £600 would make any difference to sound or picture quality. But hey - who wouldn't want a super-sky box? Its got a 12 month guarantee.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
I have no issues for people to sell expensive cables and upgraded boxes. At least don't lie about performance.

Hi BB,

Not a dig at you - how do you know they lied about the performance, did you see one in action.

Q5 said:
bigboss said:
I have no issues for people to sell expensive cables and upgraded boxes. At least don't lie about performance.

Hi BB,

Not a dig at you - how do you know they lied about the performance, did you see one in action.
They merely need to show evidence for their claim, that's all. If you cannot produce evidence, don't claim improved performance.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Q5 said:
bigboss said:

Hi BB,

I would like to sell you a Blue Tiger Home Repelant System for only £1,500, 20 years warranty included. For two decades no blue tigers will ever come in your yard, and that is a promise or money back with interest.

Here is a photo of the product.

LandscapingRock.jpg

MattF

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
bigboss said:
A few days ago, there was a thread on here about Russ Andrews Sky HD box and some tall claims in the listing, claiming improved performance. I had mentioned in the thread that I reported this to ASA.

Why did you bother reporting them to the ASA - they are not hurting anyone with the advert, what people throw their money at is their own business.

On the other hand - has any one complained about the fact that the picture on their site shows the back with its original: 'CE mark, Double Insulated symbol and the beab approved mark'

Surely a modification from its original safety construction means that after retesting, the logos would have to be removed?

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MattF said:
bigboss said:
A few days ago, there was a thread on here about Russ Andrews Sky HD box and some tall claims in the listing, claiming improved performance. I had mentioned in the thread that I reported this to ASA.

Why did you bother reporting them to the ASA - they are not hurting anyone with the advert, what people throw their money at is their own business.

On the other hand - has any one complained about the fact that the picture on their site shows the back with its original: 'CE mark, Double Insulated symbol and the beab approved mark'

Surely a modification from its original safety construction means that after retesting, the logos would have to be removed?

Matt

Is that you Russ? *biggrin*

MattF

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Would he try to flag up that the equipment has been converted to Class II to Class I protection which could bring up some rather awkward issues if an accident/incident ever occurs?

(Especially if its still marked as Double Insulated)

Ignoring the 'Potentially Foo' advert part and looking at the electrical safety modification may be more useful?

Matt

MattF said:
bigboss said:

?

?

Matt
If people didn't report misleading adverts, we would be living in a very different world right now.

TRENDING THREADS