Russ Andrews has amended wordings of Sky HD box listing (ASA response)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MattF

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Hypothetically, completely unrelated, nothing to do with the thread:

If someone produced a device that 'improved the sound quality of every device in your house', but had a metal case which was wired to live mains electricity, would you:

A. Complain about the advertising of the sound quality improvement

B. Deal with the product safety issue (which will probably end up taking care of the advert)

Hopefully someone would know enough to start looking at 'B' sooner or later, however I wouldn't know enough about where to start.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MattF said:

If someone produced a device that 'improved the sound quality of every device in your house', but had a metal case which was wired to live mains electricity, would you:

B. Deal with the product safety issue (which will probably end up taking care of the advert)

Hopefully someone would know enough to start looking at 'B' sooner or later, however I wouldn't know enough about where to start.

I often say to people who buy audiophile aftermarket power cords that they are not UL listed and don't aspire to high safety standards as regular market cords do. This is dangerous since there is high energy in those cables that could create a fire, electric shock or just void your house insurance if this happened due to other electric hazzard.

In one ear it goes, through the other one it leaves.

Dare I ask how many of Russ' cables are UL listed and tested?

I dare not.

Cheers *drinks*

MattF said:

?

Depends. If I am not aware about electric safety regulations but know advertising standards very well, it would be A. :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Those concerned about electrical safety, with knowledge about this issue should report to Trading Standards. ASA have a valuable role in preventing scams, fraud and misleading information - if this needs explaination then there is no hope! Well done BB. I took on Samsung and Currys for their advertising 'errors' and applaud those who take the time to keep these guys in check.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
MattF said:
Why did you bother reporting them to the ASA - they are not hurting anyone with the advert, what people throw their money at is their own business.

so you think retailers should be allowed to lie with no comeback?

MattF

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Do I think retailers should be allowed to lie?

No - not the point.

What I think is the sum of the *whole* of the post I made, not just the part you quoted, breaking this down as simply as possible in order of priority:

1. Should a manufacturer be selling a product

2. What are the words the manufacturer is using to sell the product.

Worrying about the 2nd one first seems a bit irrelevant, since people will hear what they want to believe anyway no matter how much real science says otherwise, for evidence, see a significant portion of posts to this site (CAUTION: overexposure can cause significant sanity problems and/or loss of faith in the future of the Human Race).

I don't have a copy of the relevant British Standard the BEAB approval tests to or know which legislation / safety standards apply, however if the finished product looks like the picture on the sellers website then something seems suspect (they've stated they've added earthing - so it's no longer double insulated - so at least that mark (double box) will have to go and I'm not sure about the BEAB mark - since the only entry I can see on the BEAB online product approval list is the Sky version of the product unless I'm searching wrong).

Surely the modification also affects the CE Marking? (safety device has been modified)

Just slapping earths onto equipment that was designed and tested for operation and safety with no earth and then reselling it (as a commercial seller) seems a bit 'odd' - if they can't get the marks right on the back of the box, what testing has been done?

Matt.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So the reality is, either they've done so little it doesn't warrant re-test or re-approval despite their blub, or its CE/BS/BEAB stickers aren't worth the paper they're written on. If the modifications cause a fire, there are home insurers who will happily slither their way out of paying-up for damages and losses.

There is of course the possibility that RA have re-submitted it for electrical safety approval and the stickers are relevant for the current as-purchased product.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
So the reality is, either they've done so little it doesn't warrant re-test or re-approval despite their blub, or its CE/BS/BEAB stickers aren't worth the paper they're written on. If the modifications cause a fire, there are home insurers who will happily slither their way out of paying-up for damages and losses.

There is of course the possibility that RA have re-submitted it for electrical safety approval and the stickers are relevant for the current as-purchased product.

I don't know about BS and BEAB, but CE is self assigned by mailing some forms. Worthless and no testing is involved. Unless you see a UL, TUV or VDE logo, don't bother.

Russ making stuff up about the product they sell is to give them unfair advantage and sell more. Matt is not worried by that, but by the possibility of them selling an unsafe product. However, if we reduce RA's unfair market advantage by reporting them to the ASA (bravo bigboss sir), we are effectively clipping their wings and they will endanger less people. So why our new forum member Matt doesn't want us to report them?

Why aren't these the droids we are looking for?!
stormtrooper.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts