Roon v1.5

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I guess I could have typed something wrong and hence it didn't possibly accept my key. Anyways I have already started with the 14 days free trail, and iam keen on going for a annual subscription to start with. I will either buy a life time license or will not renew the annual subscription next year, depending on how I find it.

For a first day , iam still waiting for roon to complete analysing my library. It showed 4110 tracks in the morning, and just when it was about to finish my daughter snagged the ethernet cable and room hung up. So I've restarted the pc again, and now it showing only 244 tracks. Wonder what went wrong. Will find out by tomorrow morning.

In my limited testing today I fed the same track from my Nas via wxc50 to optical in on the chord dac, and again the same track via roon from the pc into the usb in on the chord dac. I felt the clarity to slightly better with roon, though not night and day. And I also felt the back ground was more silent with roon. But again I wouldn't be able to tell in a blind test. Possible placebo effect here.
The tracks I played were all FLAC from hd tracks.

When I tried playing mp3's, the roon output definitely sounded better. Though I can't exactly explain why. Still early days here, will keep posting my impressions as I go along. My umik-1 should arrive by mid of June. So will try DRC then. Thanks.

insider9

I'd suggest leaving your laptop on a charger over night. Could also change the setting under Library. It's called Background Audio Analysis it's set as Throttled as standard. Set it to 4 cores when you're not using your laptop. It will do it a full tilt, compiling database much quicker :)

I would not be surprised at all if it sounded better. However that's likely because of Chord DAC's preferring USB input (at least that's my experience).

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'd suggest leaving your laptop on a charger over night. Could also change the setting under Library. It's called Background Audio Analysis it's set as Throttled as standard. Set it to 4 cores when you're not using your laptop. It will do it a full tilt, compiling database much quicker :)

I would not be surprised at all if it sounded better. However that's likely because of Chord DAC's preferring USB input (at least that's my experience). 

I did notice in the evening that the back ground analysis was showing as throttled. So I changed it to 8 cores and it's been real fast ever since. But one thing I noticed is that it always reaches the last but one track and keeps hanging there without finishing the analysis. Will leave my laptop on for the night today and will check it in the morning. It's already been on the last track for the last 30 mins , will probably see in the morning then :)

insider9

Oooooh, 8 cores fancy *dirol*

If the old library file somehow is messing with it you have an option to Clean Up Library under Library Maintenance. I left my streamer over night to go through my local library of no more than 6,000 tracks. But then I have another 12,000+ on Tidal which Roon treats as my library.

Luckily once that's done adding new stuff is very quick. Also make sure you backup your library and set scheduled backups.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is there a setting in room to allow you to see your music in a file format without the pictures for easier location.

I find the tiles long winded

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Is there a setting in room to allow you to see your music in a file format without the pictures for easier location.

I’ve gone back to iTunes it’s free and a excellent database and I am using Apple lossless encoder which is no different to flac just a different way of in coding but the same you couldn’t tell the difference between flac and apples lossless encoder .

The problems I was having with Roon was putting 3 cd album together but apple does this correctly but Roon doesn’t and apple finds the album cover and if not google the cover so Roon as some good features but to expensive for something that has trouble with doing something simple like putting led zeppelin albums together in one file even though I tried to edit the files it wouldn’t do it .

I tried Jriver it’s rubbish the software kept crashing on windows 10 so wasn’t impressed with it .

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I have started the free trail for 14 days. Will probably take a one year subscription and then decide if I will go for a lifetime license

Just remember that the life expectancy of a new startup (spinout in this case) software company isn't great. This software won't stay working without continual updates (to keep up with OS updates, streaming interfaces and so on), so opting for the lifetime deal is placing a bet on the survival of the company. That may be a great bet, I dont know, but you need to be aware that this is the bet you are making.

Good luck.

insider9

Agree with all Andy has said above. I was more than willing to assist. As to Roon, they've been making money from early on which is great for a startup, but I agree nothing is without its risks. That's why I still haven't pulled the trigger on lifetime membership.

And Sabbath I'm glad you found a soltion that works. But iTunes in my opinion is horrendous *pardon*

jjbomber

andyjm said:
Just remember that the life expectancy of a new startup (spinout in this case) software company isn't great. This software won't stay working without continual updates (to keep up with OS updates, streaming interfaces and so on), so opting for the lifetime deal is placing a bet on the survival of the company. That may be a great bet, I dont know, but you need to be aware that this is the bet you are making.

The 'bet' is only that the company will last 5 years, as a lifetime membership is cheaper than paying for 5 annual memberships. I would think it is a pretty good bet.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I’ve gone back to iTunes it’s free and a excellent database and I am using Apple lossless encoder which is no different to flac just a different way of in coding but the same you couldn’t tell the difference between flac and apples lossless encoder .

The problems I was having with Roon was putting 3 cd album together but apple does this correctly but Roon doesn’t and apple finds the album cover and if not google the cover so Roon as some good features but to expensive for something that has trouble with doing something simple like putting led zeppelin albums together in one file even though I tried to edit the files it wouldn’t do it .

I tried Jriver it’s rubbish the software kept crashing on windows 10 so wasn’t impressed with it .

Software does not crash with win 10 if you install the correct version and know what you are doing.( I warned you and foreseen problems)
But I'm happy for you that you've found hifi bliss again

Btw all the problems you had with roon were easily fixable btw.
I think if you'd had more patience and let insider help you it could have been easily sorted.

But the fact you are happy now is the main thing.

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
jjbomber said:
The 'bet' is only that the company will last 5 years, as a lifetime membership is cheaper than paying for 5 annual memberships. I would think it is a pretty good bet.

Although if the prices change in that time then the bet could pay off sooner.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Software does not crash with win 10 if you install the correct version and know what you are doing.( I warned you and foreseen problems) But I'm happy for you that you've found hifi bliss again

Btw all the problems you had with roon were easily fixable btw. I think if you'd had more patience and let insider help you it could have been easily sorted.

I downloaded the latest version of Jriver of there site for windows 10 64bit but for some reason now and again it crashed and my Pc is up for the job so it put me off .

I did ask for help of insider which he did help me and Roon is fairly easy ones you get to no where everything is I did try and sort out the issue I had but couldn’t get them sorted out as I was running Roon for nearly a month

But it bothered me not sorting out where albums where meant to go where ITunes does this with ease and you can normally sort a problem out fairly easily but I did like Roon and maybe I should of email them to try and sort out the issue I was having but I did try to sort it out with out much luck .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Software does not crash with win 10 if you install the correct version and know what you are doing.( I warned you and foreseen problems) But I'm happy for you that you've found hifi bliss again

Btw all the problems you had with roon were easily fixable btw. I think if you'd had more patience and let insider help you it could have been easily sorted.

I downloaded the latest version of Jriver of there site for windows 10 64bit but for some reason now and again it crashed and my Pc is up for the job so it put me off  .

I did ask for help of insider which he did help me and Roon is fairly easy ones you get to no where everything is I did try and sort out the issue I had but couldn’t get them sorted out as I was running Roon for nearly a month 

But it bothered me not sorting out where albums where meant to go where ITunes does this with ease and you can normally sort a problem out fairly easily but I did like Roon and maybe I should of email them to try and sort out the issue I was having but I did try to sort it out with out much luck .

It will be user error
It's very stable
I've used it for almost 3 years

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

I downloaded the latest version of Jriver of there site for windows 10 64bit but for some reason now and again it crashed and my Pc is up for the job so it put me off .

I did ask for help of insider which he did help me and Roon is fairly easy ones you get to no where everything is I did try and sort out the issue I had but couldn’t get them sorted out as I was running Roon for nearly a month

It will be user error It's very stable I've used it for almost 3 years
user error. ? I’ve just built my Pc myself and windows 10 is stable on my Pc and my spec are intel i7 , 16gb of ddr4 ram , solid state hard drive , 10Tb of western digital black hard drives and if that lot can’t run a simple program like Jriver then I’ve built my Pc wrong I reckon all I was doing was sorting out the library and it just kept freezing so I would say it’s buggy software from Jriver anyway doesn’t matter now I am sorted

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My roon trail hasn't been very convincing so far. But these are reasons specific to me alone :

1. My entire music collection has been painstakingly assembled into folders over the years. It is not much, just 4000 tracks. But I know which track is where when I want it. Unfortunately 'folder view' goes against the very ethos of roon. And with roon staggering my entire collection over artists, albums & genres iam finding it difficult to find my tracks. Constantly using the search function is proving a bit tiring for me.

2. A lot of my tracks are local indian. And roon doesn't recognise them so far. They are also staggered all over the place, depending on how roon analysed them as per it's genre algorithm.

3. I've never used a computer for audio before, and I find that I don't like it. Besides iam having issues with my roon remote not connecting to the core sometimes.

4. For some reason the music is screeching at times. I tried several settings with upsampling and no upsampling, but having the same problem from time to time.

5. Iam very happy with the user interface of the wxc-50, and it has never dropped connection or hung up once. Even my wife who uses my system more than me, preferred the wxc-50. She infact preferred even the blueos I used previously, above the complexity that roon seems to be.

The game changer for me will be room correction once the umik-1 arrives on 13th June. And I fondly hope the results are convincing enough to persist with roon till iam fully familiar with its full potential.

I do stream a lot from local sites which are not supported in roon. So iam basically buying roon only for tidal and DRC and management of my small library which iam not happy with so far. So keeping fingers crossed for now :)

But again if my mother tongue and entire music collection was in English, roon would have been wonderful there.

I've also realised that iam not keen on trying any other library or music software running on a pc. Iam very happy with a streamer with its inbuilt software and fool proof control app. So I don't mind buying a off the shelf streamer than run a pc with software. Still early days...but that's my experience so far :)

insider9

I'll do my best to help

1) You are right it does. You could always tag your music or create playlist.

2) Unfortunately all I could suggest is to manually edit. It will be long and painful process though.

3) I don't like using PC for audio either. You should be able to control it from a mobile or tablet. But your Core (laptop) should ideally be hardwired into your network.

4) All I can think of is some network instability but otherwise its weird. The good news is you get to contact support who will not only help but are likely to extend the trial for you, since you're experiencing issues :)

5) That's why it's important to try before you buy. But fear not if Roon is not your thing I just found a free alternative I'm currently testing. It should bridge the gap between Yamaha and Roon with interface more like Yamaha but you'd be able to use DSP almost like in Roon. And it's free and can do other steaming service. Just got a trial to Deezer Elite so I can test it.

As to you last point that's absolutely fair, but make sure you're happy with software.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'll do my best to help

1) You are right it does. You could always tag your music or create playlist.

2) Unfortunately all I could suggest is to manually edit. It will be long and painful process though.

3) I don't like using PC for audio either. You should be able to control it from a mobile or tablet. But your Core (laptop) should ideally be hardwired into your network.

4) All I can think of is some network instability but otherwise its weird. The good news is you get to contact support who will not only help but are likely to extend the trial for you, since you're experiencing issues :)

5) That's why it's important to try before you buy. But fear not if Roon is not your thing I just found a free alternative I'm currently testing. It should bridge the gap between Yamaha and Roon with interface more like Yamaha but you'd be able to use DSP almost like in Roon. And it's free and can do other steaming service. Just got a trial to Deezer Elite so I can test it.

As to you last point that's absolutely fair, but make sure you're happy with software.

I just read your post on daphile and looks very promising indeed.

My laptop is actually hardwired to ethernet. But when I did my house, I had a single LAN cable from the main router, running to the system. Since I wanted to use roon on pc + wxc50 in parallel, I have rigged another network switch here. This could perhaps be the problem as well.

I understand I have to manually tag all my native language tracks. Will see if it is worth the effort once the umik-1 arrives.

I really wanted to fall in love with roon. But my language limitation is the biggest obstacle. I can see in my 2 days of use, that for a all English collection, roon would be awesome with how it just knows what you want to hear, and just plays it. I haven't bothered about compiling any playlists so far. I just play one as per my mood, and roon plays so much new music which somehow just gels with the mood iam in. Lots of tweaking still to go. But this small experiment has made me realise so many things about myself. Will keep it for later :)

insider9

It's all a learning curve. As long as you get to realise what you want and not spend money it's all that matters.

I really tried not to run a PC based solution but DSP is so important to me that only PC based solution doesn't restrict me in terms of processing power.

Luckily not all PCs are equal and you can build or buy more appliance looking devices that don't need a screen and are silent.

I'll start a separate thread on Daphile over the next few days as I get to know it a bit. I run it as a Roon alternative to add some functionality. Even took our Deezer Elite trial to test it. Early signs are positive from functionality perspective.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
It's all a learning curve. As long as you get to realise what you want and not spend money it's all that matters.

I really tried not to run a PC based solution but DSP is so important to me that only PC based solution doesn't restrict me in terms of processing power.

Luckily not all PCs are equal and you can build or buy more appliance looking devices that don't need a screen and are silent.

I'll start a separate thread on Daphile over the next few days as I get to know it a bit. I run it as a Roon alternative to add some functionality. Even took our Deezer Elite trial to test it. Early signs are positive from functionality perspective.

I will certainly look forward to your thoughts on daphile . And all the best in advance for your new all in one build. You keep the excitement flowing here with shoebox9 amp and now the AIO9 being built :D

Maybe it's pure coincidence, but my email is also newlash09@yahoo.com funnily :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

I will certainly look forward to your thoughts on daphile . And all the best in advance for your new all in one build. You keep the excitement flowing here with shoebox9 amp and now the AIO9 being built :D

Maybe it's pure coincidence, but my email is also newlash09@yahoo.com funnily :)

Also but luckily all my changes to the genre/track info imported correct.

But I had similar problems
Especially the finding artists.
I'd want an windows explorer sort of way instead of the pictures.

insider9

I'm doing my best. The shoebox amp is actually replacing my mate's Musical Fidelity A1 (2008) would you believe. That's how well its put together *lol* It must be the box.

All in one is at planning phase. That's how I got the Pet Hates thread as been reading rubbish specs for a few days. I'd give the build a few month to materialise if at all. It won't be a quick one. Plus I still got Rick's Leema so not really in need of project right now.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

Also but luckily all my changes to the genre/track info imported correct.

But I had similar problems
Especially the finding artists.
I'd want an windows explorer sort of way instead of the pictures.

I would have loved having a folder view or some visual heirarchy structure of my library. Roon can do what it does best, but no harm in presenting a pure native picture of my Nas in a seperate screen. That is my biggest bugbear so far. And you are lucky to have a all English collection that roon actually recognises from its huge database. I have tracks from 3 native languages that constitute a major chunk of my collection. And that sends roon into a spin :D

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Are you an album listener or do you prefer individual tracks or playlists?

I don't listen to individual LP anymore

I like to not know what's next.

All my music is set up in 4 genre
Hard, medium, soft and live

Mostly I listen all genre together on shuffle.

I rarely get time to just sit and listen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts