Roon v1.5

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Jriver has many more options/settings
Are these related to audio? If so what are they, please?

There are too many to mention
Ive just come back from work so I'll email you tonight all the features.

I was going to recommend you take a free months trial of jriver so I can hear what you think going from room experience to jriver.
I'd suspect you'd find it far more complex at first.
I'm not averse to trying, but I'd doesn't meet my requirements to start with. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I need something that allows for lossless streaming, FIR based DSP and so I can operate it headless preferably on Linux, with an Android phone as a remote. I also don't care for any other functionality such as video. In fact I'd rather not have it.

From what I've read you can't do streaming with Jriver, if that's the case it's a non starter. Audirvana would be a nice alternative to Roon but it's only Mac at the minute. It's supposed to come to Windows but I'll do anything to avoid running Windows.

And as a side note. I see it as a massive compliment, and so would guys at Roon, that you see Roon as not that complex. It goes to show how well it is made and how much thought went into the design.

Saying all that I could always do a trial on a laptop just to see what else have they come up with. It wouldn't be with an option to buy if it can't give me the above mentioned features.

Lie with integration between gapless streaming with your own cd collection then I'd just stick with roon.

That's the point I made earlier.
As far as just using your own library then jriver wins imo.

I'll copy paste you the setting section as promised on jriver for you so at least you can picture what I'm talking about when I mention the setting differences.

Imo jriver is worth it if only ripping and setting the info as you want as it's very good in this regards

insider9

I mostly listen to new music (to me not necessarily new) on Tidal. So my priority is lossless and gapless streaming with FIR based DSP. Integration of local files is great but not necessary. In fact, local files are of little importance for me. I rarely listen to them and as long as I can use DSP and have an Android remote that's fine.

Most my listening is music I've not heard before, so discovery features are very welcome.

But, please do let me know as a mate of mine is a complete opposite. He only listens to local files and occasional internet radio, watches movies too. I'm a curios individual so if there are better ways of doing things I'd like to know :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
JRiver is not so good for streaming, they admit there is a problem with Tidal, one problem was with MQA. They also seem against any of the streaming services, you can see that from posts on their forum. For streaming your own ripped music or downloads its probably fine.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Update on the Roon software

I’ve decided to uninstall Roon from my Pc as I didn’t like the database which I felt it’s not that good for the money as the problems I was facing was not very good album artwork quality and sometimes the wrong album artwork and even going through the edit there was not always the choice to get better album artwork or the correct album artwork which for me is important .

The other issue is when you buy deluxe CDs with 3 or more CDs on one album Roon doesn’t always put the 3 CDs into one cover or a sub file and again even when you edit that album you can’t join the collection together .

So if I did buy the software Roon would have to improve there database a lot more I think as take the led zeppelin albums there lots of different versions of those albums but Roon struggles to find the correct versions but the same versions are on tidal which are correct but not on Roon .

So Anyway I tried it so I will try jriver now as that’s a lot cheaper and will see what that’s like but one thing I did like about Roon was how it finds all of the music on your Pc and I have 4 separate hard drives in my Pc and it found all really quickly that’s pretty good just a shame about the database and the cost of the software .

insider9

If that's so important to you I'd first contact Roon to see if there was anything they could do to help. They're very helpful and it could be the solution was simple. But fair enough, if you don't think it's value for money then I guess there was not much point.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Update on the Roon software 

I’ve decided to uninstall Roon from my Pc as I didn’t like the database which I felt it’s not that good for the money as the problems I was facing was not very good album artwork quality and sometimes the wrong album artwork and even going through the edit there was not always the choice to get better album artwork or the correct album artwork which for me is important .

The other issue is when you buy deluxe CDs with 3 or more CDs on one album Roon doesn’t always put the 3 CDs into one cover or a sub file and again even when you edit that album you can’t join the collection together .

So if I did buy the software Roon would have to improve there database a lot more I think as take the led zeppelin albums there lots of different versions of those albums but Roon struggles to find the correct versions but the same versions are on tidal which are correct but not on Roon .

So Anyway I tried it so I will try jriver now as that’s a lot cheaper and will see what that’s like but one thing I did like about Roon was how it finds all of the music on your Pc and I have 4 separate hard drives in my Pc and it found all really quickly that’s pretty good just a shame about the database and the cost of the software .

You will have the same problems with jriver regards the cover art and it's more technical to set up.

Be careful as I think roon would be more suitable for you.
There are a lot of set up options you will need to set up and some of it is not straight forward.

As you are also using videos
Make sure you check all the relevant codecs etc.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
No I wasn’t using video through Roon only music and tidal but Roon easy to work with but just the issue with the database not finding the correct album covers or album cover quality can change even size can change from each album where ever they get the covers from probably google images on the internet .

If Roon can make there album covers like iTunes or tidal I would be happy as that’s important to me and sort out what version of album you have correctly would be good I mean I even typed the album serial number in the edit section to sort out the led zeppelin albums I’ve got but it still kept putting all 3 CDs separately which peed me off I tried lots of things to sort that out but other albums like the Police complete boxset Roon put all 5 CDs in the same section which I liked and that is what I wanted for the led zeppelin albums .

The datebase seems to me it’s setup for the U.S market more then us as most of the album covers I see for some of my albums where U.S versions of the album not the uk version but even going to the edit section you have choice which covers yours if it’s wrong and I always picked the iTunes cover which was correct most of the time .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
No I wasn’t using video through Roon only music and tidal but Roon easy to work with but just the issue with the database not finding the correct album covers or album cover quality can change even size can change from each album where ever they get the covers from probably google images on the internet .

If Roon can make there album covers like iTunes or tidal I would be happy as that’s important to me and sort out what version of album you have correctly would be good  I mean I even typed the album serial number in the edit section to sort out the led zeppelin albums I’ve got but it still kept putting all 3 CDs separately which peed me off I tried lots of things to sort that out but other albums like the Police complete boxset Roon put all 5 CDs in the same section which I liked and that is what I wanted for the led zeppelin albums .

The datebase seems to me it’s setup for the U.S market more then us as most of the album covers I see for some of my albums where U.S versions of the album not the uk version but even going to the edit section you have choice which covers yours if it’s wrong and I always picked the iTunes cover which was correct most of the time  .

Jriver will not be any better than roon regards the cover art!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
No I wasn’t using video through Roon only music and tidal but Roon easy to work with but just the issue with the database not finding the correct album covers or album cover quality can change even size can change from each album where ever they get the covers from probably google images on the internet .

If Roon can make there album covers like iTunes or tidal I would be happy as that’s important to me and sort out what version of album you have correctly would be good I mean I even typed the album serial number in the edit section to sort out the led zeppelin albums I’ve got but it still kept putting all 3 CDs separately which peed me off I tried lots of things to sort that out but other albums like the Police complete boxset Roon put all 5 CDs in the same section which I liked and that is what I wanted for the led zeppelin albums .

The datebase seems to me it’s setup for the U.S market more then us as most of the album covers I see for some of my albums where U.S versions of the album not the uk version but even going to the edit section you have choice which covers yours if it’s wrong and I always picked the iTunes cover which was correct most of the time .

Jriver will not be any better than roon regards the cover art!
ok

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Insider does Roon support films as well as music ?

Roon is audio only. Jriver does movies too, I believe.
ok just be nice to have a bit of software that did the lot 
If it's good for everything than it usually doesn't do anything extremely well. I'd rather if Roon didn't do video. I want it to do audio best it can. But sure I can see you'd want something that meets all your needs.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Insider does Roon support films as well as music ?

Roon is audio only. Jriver does movies too, I believe.
ok just be nice to have a bit of software that did the lot
If it's good for everything than it usually doesn't do anything extremely well. I'd rather if Roon didn't do video. I want it to do audio best it can. But sure I can see you'd want something that meets all your needs.
yes I know but as strictly stereo said iTunes moves are protected by there own codes which I’ve forgot about so you buy Apple TV LoL to get them to work on your Tv .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam finally back home and itching to give roon a try. Just bought a umik -1, which should arrive around the 13th of June. Thought I'd get familiar with roon's functionality, before I started implementing room correction. I will be running roon on my windows laptop for now directly connected to the chord dac via usb. If iam happy with this arrangement, then my laptop will become my dedicated roon core and will look for roon end points later. Was wondering if I could request you for a code with 60 days trail, as I could only find 14 days trail on the roon website. Thanks in advance :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Glad you made it home all in one piece. This should hopefully still work.
insider9 said:
Try this

HDF1-VJM7-WU9Z

No credit card info needed. Just register with an email.

Redeem this at

https://roonlabs.com/coupon.html

Was really a relief getting back home :)

Just tried the above code, but the webpage is saying 'code invalid'. Do you happen to have any other code by any chance, or I can even take the 14 days trail otherwise :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
I have started the free trail for 14 days. Will probably take a one year subscription and then decide if I will go for a lifetime license
Ok, Newlash.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong there, but I put some odd credentials and the code worked for me. Feel free to log in with these them change password should you wish.

User:
gggggggg@ddddd.com
Password:

Or simply setup another 60 day trial on another email.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've just enabled airplay from my laptop win10 (server)
To connect to the marantz sr7011 via airplay

Now using laptop with roon as the controller.
Works very well indeed.

Question

What resolution does it play at?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Airplay works at 44.1kHz. It in doubt check the Signal Path.

Is that in the info when playing a song?

I haven't had much time with it and still not familiar with it apart from playing etc

Btw I thought it was full 44.1 as it's sounds much better than I had before without roon (MP3)

insider9

Click on a dot next to artist/song title to access signal path. It shows you all information of file played and any processing done done to it.

16/44.1 will be max what you can send via Airplay. Anything over that will be downsampled.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Click on a dot next to artist/song title to access signal path. It shows you all information of file played and any processing done done to it.

16/44.1 will be max what you can send via Airplay. Anything over that will be downsampled.

Ja I've seen the dot
Thanks
(Thumbs up Pacman icon inserted)

TRENDING THREADS