Roksan Kandy K2 not impresive... Onkyo TX-8050 as an alternative ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DJ-pressure said:
So I've got my TX8050 up and runnig, and guess what? I really like what I hear. :grin: :clap:

Thanks to Record Spot , WishTree, Andrej and others :clap: I'm gladly joining the club of TX8050 owners.

I think the "travel" I had through other amps helped me appreciated Onkyo more.

Glad to know!

There is so much value in the moderately priced segment and some times too much hype gets associated to some equipment. Happy to know that you found the right amp!

I have the Onkyo TX-NR709 which when I run in all channel stereo mode (5 channels) sounds a lot happy, almost like the main Stereo system (though pure stereo mode, I must give it to the Classe set up but the point is on a tight budget still there are options to find the similar fun from the system)

Onkyo does good stuff but I guess it some times gets challenging to accept, for some :)

T

the record spot

Welcome to the club DJ-Pressure! Glad you like the Onkyo - another happy owner! And no, I'm not surprised in the least you find it a better listen than the K2. A very versatile amp.

I connect my TV to my DVD/CD player by HDMI and thereafter to the Onkyo by both optical and RCA analog cables. I need the standard phono cable for SACD purposes but usually use the phono cables anyway.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Welcome to the club DJ-Pressure! Glad you like the Onkyo - another happy owner! And no, I'm not surprised in the least you find it a better listen than the K2. A very versatile amp.

I connect my TV to my DVD/CD player by HDMI and thereafter to the Onkyo by both optical and RCA analog cables. I need the standard phono cable for SACD purposes but usually use the phono cables anyway.

Thanks RS.

And I wasn't reffering to you but to matthewpiano:

matthewpiano said:
The K2 is a very capable amp and given that I have found going back to NAD has been an improvement for me, I would be very surprised if you found the 8050 better than the Roksan

matthewpiano

DJ-Pressure, I'm glad you are happy. The 8050 is a great piece of kit. I am surprised you find it better than the K2 but I am very happy, for you, that you do because it means the purchase has been worthwhile. Long may you enjoy it!

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm listening to buddy rich, just know, while downloading latest firmware for my lx55, and I'm really enjoying the music.

I don't remember when I heard the sounds so nice last time :bounce:

RS was very right:

the record spot said:
I think it's a fine amp. Yes, the naysayers are out there: "it couldn't possibly be better than..." and the like. Make your own mind up. Have a listen and decide. Plus the additional functionality it offers leaves most integrateds standing

And MP expressed it just right:

matthewpiano said:
Sound quality is excellent, particularly if clarity, detail and a sense of cohesion

+

matthewpiano said:
I wouldn't describe it as warm and if it lacks slightly in one aspect this is it, but careful partnering can resolve the issue

And I think i found the right match as as to me it sound quite warm - pleasant :grin:

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to let anyone interested know. I'm finding TX-8050 really, really good. But I'm finding this amp not as powerfull as other amps I've had. I don't mind that because I care about sound quality more than anything else. But I'm finding myself turning Onkyo up to 40 volume sometimes which is a half way through, I've never done this with other amps as music was too loud.

I just though I will share that experience as I haven't seen anybody saying it.

A

Anonymous

why do you think you need to turn it up so much .is it just volume

DJ-pressure said:
Just to let anyone interested know. I'm finding TX-8050 really, really good. But I'm finding this amp not as powerfull as other amps I've had. I don't mind that because I care about sound quality more than anything else. But I'm finding myself turning Onkyo up to 40 volume sometimes which is a half way through, I've never done this with other amps as music was too loud.

I just though I will share that experience as I haven't seen anybody saying it.

Think it's a Kandy hangover. I've had the K2 and LIII and they are the most powerful amps I've come across for the price.

Perhaps with more efficient speakers and adjusting your expectations may remedy the situation. Give it time.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
aversaurus said:
why do you think you need to turn it up so much .is it just volume

What I mean is that I'm in need to turn volume up more than on other amps I've had. why? because turning it half way throu on this amp dosen't make music as loud like on other amps. That's it.

DJ-pressure

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Think it's a Kandy hangover. I've had the K2 and LIII and they are the most powerful amps I've come across for the price.

Perhaps with more efficient speakers and adjusting your expectations may remedy the situation. Give it time.

I didn't say I find problem with it. I really like the amp, I don't need music to be very loud. I never find a need to turn the volume up high. I just shared my impression from using the amp. That however doesn't change the fact that this amp have enough power and it's exceptional.

DJ-pressure said:
plastic penguin said:

I didn't say I find problem with it. I really like the amp, I don't need music to be very loud. I never find a need to turn the volume up high. I just shared my impression from using the amp. That however doesn't change the fact that this amp have enough power and it's exceptional.

Easy, DJ. You find it not as powerful as other amps... just responding to your previous post, and giving a possible reason why.

If the Onkyo is fine then say so. If it lacks a little in volume and isn't a problem, no need to mention it.

T

the record spot

As I understand it, no two amps are the same, so if your K2 runs out of puff at 10 o'clock on the dial then you're doing alright if the 8050 has barely started. It's not just down to volume y'know!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
As I understand it, no two amps are the same, so if your K2 runs out of puff at 10 o'clock on the dial then you're doing alright if the 8050 has barely started. It's not just down to volume y'know!

Get the first part, definitely agree no two amps are the same.

Dont get the second part. Could you explain please?

T

the record spot

There's more to an amp's design than just the watts per channel and how loud it goes. I think this is more down to how Onkyo have implemented their design than any major issues around the amp's power capabilities.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Some amps deliver all their real power between 9'oclock and 10'oclock on the volume dial then distort therafter, others do so at 2'oclock but allow for smoother gain in volume as opposed to quite to shouty in a few clicks. is what i've found.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts