Roksan BT or non-BT

Tangerine_Rick

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
As the BT version of the K2 is I assume a later version, am I correct in that this would on the face of it be a better buy?

As posted previously I am after a new Amp & CD and given the recent price drop on the Roksan K2 & CD package, it looks a great deal. As the proce difference on the package deals is only £70 between the BT version and the non-BT version I am tempted to go for the BT version - any thoughts?

Ta

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1000% positive go BT.

It is the better amp, especially if you can grab the final version Mk II (has 175W per channel power rating on the back).

Tangerine_Rick

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir - I hoped you would pick this up.

I am likely to purchase online, so will not be able to confirm the version until it turns up. But here's hoping.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Both versions will have 175W p/c in 8 ohms despite mk I being rated very conservatively at 140W. Check this white paper.

Mk II has additional small refinements and few better caps in the power section but nothing to lose sleep over. *wink*

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You need to audition this amp. Vald won't like me repeating this but it didn't get past first base when I listened to it. Power isn't everything and IMO it's as dull as ditchwater.

Chris

Tangerine_Rick

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I did have a brief listen at Richer Sounds the other day and it sounded ok, but to be fair not in the best of set ups.

Appreciate the comments! I will try and organise a more involved audition - with some comparisions.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
You need to audition this amp. Vald won't like me repeating this but it didn't get past first base when I listened to it. Power isn't everything and IMO it's as dull as ditchwater.

Chris

I had the same experience. Quite a dull sounding amp. I wiped that off my list straight away.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

I had the same experience. Quite a dull sounding amp. I wiped that off my list straight away.

yes I agree also lacking in clarity, if you want power and bass then maybe.

matthewpiano

Lots of talent in the amplifier market at the K2 price point so do have a good listen to a few things before you take the plunge.

Alongside the Roksan (which, as others have said, may or may not suit you) I would suggest also trying the following:

Exposure 2010S2

Creek Evolution 50a

Rega Elex-R (I haven't heard it yet but I've been told by someone who has that it is closer to the Elicit-R than the Brio-R, and that means it could potentially be stunning for the price))

Tangerine_Rick said:
As the BT version of the K2 is I assume a later version, am I correct in that this would on the face of it be a better buy?

As posted previously I am after a new Amp & CD and given the recent price drop on the Roksan K2 & CD package, it looks a great deal. As the proce difference on the package deals is only £70 between the BT version and the non-BT version I am tempted to go for the BT version - any thoughts?

Ta

Like some of the others I don't buy into theory that the newer model is always best. When I heard the original K2 and thought the sound was over refined. The LIII, by comparison, lacked a little refinement but more than made up for it with verve.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh well. You guys bust my sale and now I won't get my fanboy comission. So sad I have to put up with this terrible dull 175W/300W British made amp.
14.gif
If I could only turn back time and buy a Marantz.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
When you're spending this amount of money I would definitely auditions some other amps too. I can't help it but I'm also not a Roksan fan. Auditioned the K2 a couple of years ago and I expected a lot more from it. The Marantz PM6003 I had at that time sounded better to me.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This isn't the first time I've said this, but this maxim applies to many a demo (in this case, that of the Roksan): to be fair to the amp it has to be well-matched to the speakers.

As the Roksan is warm & full-blooded, it suits peppy detailed fast speakers extremely well. If you heard the Roksan with speakers that had a similar bias, then of course it would sound stodgy. But that's the fault of bad partnering not the individual component. The Roksan can tame speakers that might otherwise be fatiguing.

My point is, if you do audition, listen to the amp with a few different speakers, searching out those with the above characteristics.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For domestic Hi-Fi stereo amplifiers under £2000 in the UK the Roksan Kandy series cannot be beaten for VFM. Only above £2K you begin to find amps with Kandy specs. Roksan is British owned, designed and made, sounds great, very reliable (unlike Rega and Naim), has 5 year warranty and wont cost you a kidney.

Why would I buy a 60W/90W amp for £900 when I can buy a 175W/300W amp for £900? Is owning too much power vulgar to the venerable audiophile or is clipping distortion exciting and edgy?

matthewpiano

It is only good value if you like the sound it produces. Also I wouldn't say Roksan are any more reliable than anyone else. The K2 CD player I had had to have a new display module, and I remember there being quite a few issues with the Kandy LIII amps when they were current models.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
It is only good value if you like the sound it produces. Also I wouldn't say Roksan are any more reliable than anyone else. The K2 CD player I had had to have a new display module, and I remember there being quite a few issues with the Kandy LIII amps when they were current models.

I tend to agree there have been several posts about Roksan problems from memory most seem to be with the remote control. Not sure the search facility works anymore on here.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Auditioned these three at Sevenoaks powering some CM8's.

Musical Fidelity M3 - Really wanted to like this as it was £600 and the best looking by far. Really clear and spacious sounding with powerful bass but somehow it all sounded a bit disjointed. I'd imagine it would sound great with classical or Jazz but not for me.

NAD 356beeDAC - Within 30secs I knew I didn't like this. Sounded hard and shut in with no soundstage, turn it off!

Roksan K2 - Heavy! Much heavier than the other two ( I was helping the sales guy ) Very clear and powerful sounding , similar soundstage to M3 ie. very expansive but just so more cohesive. It wasn't as detailed but I think the M3 detail levels would grate on me, especially with poorer recordings. I've yet to listen to the Rotel RA-1570 before I make my decision. I didn't have time to plug in the BT version and the sales said there isn't much between them.

There is another conserderation, and one which I don't hold that much credance: Given that WHFI has been staunch believers in all the Kandy's sound, they have pretty much given them a clean sweep of 5 stars.

The last time WHFI gave a Kandy a 4 star review was in 2005 when the MKIII was dethroned by Rotel RA-03.

Is this significant? Not really, but given WHFI's enthusiasm for all things Roksan, it's certainly worth bearing in mind.

Tangerine_Rick

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for the time and effort, much appreciated.

The review/ratings has certainly influenced my decision process. As I said I have had a brief listen to the Roksan, and it seemed fine. Some food for thought though!

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I think I am in the minority in liking Roksan products, both in sound and aesthetics. The deals you can get on these products is also appealing, especially when, like me, budget is tight.
What speakers do people recommend to run with Roksan? I hear Rotel and B&W go hand in hand. What about Roksan?

dangerouspartridge said:
I think I am in the minority in liking Roksan products, both in sound and aesthetics. The deals you can get on these products is also appealing, especially when, like me, budget is tight. What speakers do people recommend to run with Roksan? I hear Rotel and B&W go hand in hand. What about Roksan?

Speakers: MA Silver or Gold, PMC, Quad, Focal, Q Acoustics. Oh, and Roksan's own speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts