Pro-Ject 5 Ei BT with Box 5 speakers

Don64

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I have a Pro-Ject E1 BT turntable and am using my BlueTooth speaker, all is good.

I have recently purchased Speaker Box 5 speakers however I cannot figure out how I am supposed to link them up to the turntable. The ports on the back of the speakers are different from those on the turntable.

As I'm pretty new to all of this I'm struggling to know what cables I need, do I need an amplifier in between etc...

Any advice would be welcomed.

Gray

Your speakers are passive Don, which means that you will need an amplifier between turntable and them.

Presumably your turntable has a LINE output. Can you confirm that?
(as it will determine the type of amp you require).

EDIT: It has got a line output.
So any integrated amplifier (with an analogue line input) will do.

Have a look at the (ridiculously cheap) little Lepy 2020A model.
It has just the single input you require and would connect to your speakers using bare wire.
It would be easy to dismiss it based on cost - and maybe you want something that looks and feels better.
But I've bought 3 of them, I think you'd find one a good start - you may not even want for more 👍

Last edited:

Don64

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for your reply. The turntable has a built-in phono Pre-amp, so do I still need an external amplifier?

If I do, the range in price is huge, any thoughts on where to start?

Don64

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
You do - as that preamp will not directly drive your speakers.

See the edit on my first reply - which probably didn't show when you first read it.

Say how much you'd like to spend and we might come up with something better (in theory).
Go it thank you.
I've spent about £600 on the turntable and speakers so I'd like to spend not much more than £400 on amp and cabling. Is that doable?

Gray

I'd like to spend not much more than £400 on amp and cabling. Is that doable?
Perfectly doable 👍
That would buy you a nice Marantz PM-6007* and some cable - preferably terminated with 4mm banana plugs.

The Marantz does include a built- in phono preamp. Although you don't need it, you could compare it with the one in your turntable - then stick with using the one you prefer .....which may well be the Marantz.

*Based on the price I've just seen.

Don64

Jul 13, 2023
Visit site
Perfectly doable 👍
That would buy you a nice Marantz PM-6007* and some cable - preferably terminated with 4mm banana plugs.

The Marantz does include a built- in phono preamp. Although you don't need it, you could compare it with the one in your turntable - then stick with using the one you prefer .....which may well be the Marantz.

*Based on the price I've just seen.
Thanks for that, I'll have a look tonight.
Re the cabling, I've attached two photos one of the turntable ports and the other of the speaker. They look like different connections is that a problem or do I need to ask for somethong specific?

Thanks for that, I'll have a look tonight.
Re the cabling, I've attached two photos one of the turntable ports and the other of the speaker. They look like different connections is that a problem or do I need to ask for somethong specific?
They are indeed different. The speaker connections are designed to take speaker cable with either bare wire, spades or banana plugs on the end. I suggest banana plugs might be the easiest termination as @Gray has already suggested.
Your turntable requires a pair of interconnects terminated with RCA plugs to connect to the amplifier.
By the way your photos are not visible..

Gray

Your turntable requires a pair of interconnects terminated with RCA plugs to connect to the amplifier.
And that cable was indeed supplied with your turntable Don.

It connects to one of the two pairs of sockets on the back of your TT.
The choice determines whether you take the output direct from the cartridge ('phono') or the built-in preamp ('line').

It's essential that you connect the other end to the appropriate input of the amplifier.

In the case of the 6007, look at all the analogue input sockets (bottom left) on the back.
TT phono must connect to amp phono.
TT line can connect to any of the other four L R pairs (which are identical in all but their name labels).

...and if you think your turntable sounds good into a Bluetooth speaker, wait till you hear it via the Marantz into your (proper) speakers 👍

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts