Returning to vinyl?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been thoroughly digital for the last 20 years. CD and then streaming -- digital has worked brilliantly for me and still does. But for a couple of reasons I want to find out what a TT might bring to my enjoyment of music.

The main reason is that much music of the last 15 years is brickwall mastered on CD and sounds poor. Check out the DR Database: the vinyl versions seem to be more benignly mastered. Whilst one might hope that the move towards hi-res will give us decently mastered digital versions, I’m sceptical. As things stand, hi-res looks like an attempt to flog an unnecessarily expensive product that won’t sound any better than the existing red book versions.

Also I have a good stash of LPs, many of which aren’t available on CD.

And I'm open to what people say about the SQ of vinyl. I guess I feel vinyl is an itch that needs to be scratched.

So tomorrow I have my first TT demo.

:cheers:

Matt

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Good luck with the demo and just in time for Record store day this Saturday. I am also returning to vinyl after an 11 year gap. There is nothing like looking after a record and enjoying the event of listening to it. I will happily lend someone a CD but my vinyl never leaves the house.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Tomorrow I have a Majik LP12 and SME 10 lined up. Not sure about all the arm and cartridge details. This is a dealer demo, but it will be with the same system as I use at home (Devialet 170 and ML Montis).

Next week I have a home demo of a Michell Orbe.

Matt

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Tomorrow I have a Majik LP12 and SME 10 lined up. Not sure about all the arm and cartridge details. This is a dealer demo, but it will be with the same system as I use at home (Devialet 170 and ML Montis).

Next week I have a home demo of a Michell Orbe.

Matt

Crikey, don't mess then!!!!

T

the record spot

Think I'd also consider a Garrard 301 or 401. The choice of custom plinths is astonishingly varied and plenty of experienced servicing folk out there. One of the few turntable setups you can really tailor to your preferences and make unique.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you like the Majik LP12 make sure you listen to is with the added trampoline, and if possible the kore. They make significant upgrades for not a lot of money :)

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you like the Majik LP12 make sure you listen to is with the added trampoline, and if possible the kore. They make significant upgrades for not a lot of money :)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
the record spot said:
Think I'd also consider a Garrard 301 or 401. The choice of custom plinths is astonishingly varied and plenty of experienced servicing folk out there. One of the few turntable setups you can really tailor to your preferences and make unique.

Don't forget the Garrard 501 < http://loricraftinternetshop.co.uk/page3.html > £14K excluding VAT.

T

the record spot

True, but I think that's a tad outside Matt's budget...!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah and vinyl is a real moolah hoover.

I just heard a £10K SME set up. It had the "entry level" Koetsu cartridge, just shy of £2K. Frankly I was terrified I'd break it just by breathing.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Just like CDs you get plenty of rubbish sounding Vinyl. Personally I don't think Vinyl sounds any better but that's for you to decide if it does or does not. Most people into Vinyl right now are only into it because it is cool to like right now so when it becomes not so cool to like any more they will stop buying it and move on to the next trend.

i'm not sure how good vinyl can sound, but having heard a Gyro se i was very impressed. i've only ever had basic bottom of the range turntables in the past, so i'm looking forward to hearing what a few more quid can do for me.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Just like CDs you get plenty of rubbish sounding Vinyl. Personally I don't think Vinyl sounds any better but that's for you to decide if it does or does not. Most people into Vinyl right now are only into it because it is cool to like right now so when it becomes not so cool to like any more they will stop buying it and move on to the next trend.

I agree regarding the quality varying. I have some LPs that sound pretty dull, yet for example, I am currently listening to a new Stephen Dale Petit LP and it's awesome, the production is so powerful and dynamic. Likewise with some CDs that I own. I was listening to my Live At Leeds CD by The Who today at work, and if the LP (which I also own) sounds better than the CD I will eat my hat.

Good and not so good in both formats as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that vinyl becomes less "cool" soon, the 2nd hand prices might come down a bit
smiley-laughing.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:

I just heard a £10K SME set up. It had the "entry level" Koetsu cartridge, just shy of £2K. Frankly I was terrified I'd break it just by breathing.

That is exactly what did it for me, in my day the Model 20A was about £6k, the not so entry level Koetsu Red about £2.4k.

Fortunately the Koetsus were never that delicate but even so........... :O

Throw in a decent phono stage and you are into five figures, ouch........!

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
matt49 said:

That is exactly what did it for me, in my day the Model 20A was about £6k, the not so entry level Koetsu Red about £2.4k.

Fortunately the Koetsus were never that delicate but even so........... :O

Throw in a decent phono stage and you are into five figures, ouch........!

Well, if one is 'loaded' :)

TRENDING THREADS