1st foray into vinyl

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Morning all....I've been toying with the idea of getting back into vinyl (like many others) over the last couple of years. I decided to take the plunge, did loads of research into a straightforward turntable setup, and ended up down so many rabbit holes!!! I didn't have a big budget so decided to go for a package that had already been put together by a certain hi fi chain of stores. Anyways, it all arrived yesterday and I'm so pleased with it, but I've only got a few LPs so far (Mike Oldfield x 2 and Elton John) and I listened to them all last night. I've got my eye on much more vinyl and intend to increase my collection. Here's my simple set up; Pro-ject Primary E turntable, Cambridge AXA35 amp and Q Acoustics 3010 speakers. Any other advice / info would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time 👍.

Attachments

• 20230702_093658.jpg
    20230702_093658.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 36

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Welcome

What a lovely setup.
The kind of thing I'd recommend for those on a budget.

As for buying LPs. They are not cheap compared to CDs. I purchase my LPs second hand from Discogs (www.discogs.com) they vary in quality and price and best of all you can get hold of those LPs you listened to when younger (IN my case it was StreetLife by The Crusaders)

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Welcome

What a lovely setup.
The kind of thing I'd recommend for those on a budget.

As for buying LPs. They are not cheap compared to CDs. I purchase my LPs second hand from Discogs (www.discogs.com) they vary in quality and price and best of all you can get hold of those LPs you listened to when younger (IN my case it was StreetLife by The Crusaders)
Thanks 👍. Yeah I've been looking on Discogs....so many LPs that I want / need. I've got loads of CDs and would like to replace those that I enjoy, with vinyl eventually. In my younger days I listened to a lot of Genesis, Mike Oldfield, Kate Bush, Tears for Fears....and much more...my list is long, and eclectic 😂.

Gray

Any other advice / info would be much appreciated.
My advice would be to do some re-positioning of what you have Colin.

It may currently all look nice and neatly compact....especially where any dictating female might be concerned....but:

The cartridge and it's wiring is extremely sensitive to electromagnetic radiation.
The last place your turntable wants to be is directly on top of the amp.

And the speakers would be better off with no acoustic coupling to the turntable.

I'd do whatever it took to get some distance and isolation between everything

If it's a solid wall, maybe a shelf for the turntable and ideally stands, but maybe wall brackets for the speakers too 👍

If you want to optimise performance.....don't listen to any dictator that might want to optimise visuals 😉

It may currently all look nice and neatly compact....especially where any dictating female might be concerned....but:

The cartridge and it's wiring is extremely sensitive to electromagnetic radiation.

And the speakers would be better off with no acoustic coupling to the turntable.

If it's a solid wall, maybe a shelf for the turntable and ideally stands, but maybe wall brackets for the speakers too 👍

If you want to optimise performance.....don't listen to any dictator that might want to optimise visuals 😉
I wasn't sure if the equipment was positioned like this purely for the photo or not.
I would agree it is far from ideal if it is intended to listen to music positioned as it is.

Indeed place the turntable on top of the amp isn't good for the hi-fi or sound quality.

I would put up a shelf above the amp, assuming it can't be placed elsewhere.

Reactions: colinj71 and Gray

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site

How did you guess there was a female involved here?? 😂. Thanks for advice though, it's really appreciated. Completely get what you're saying....I'll see what I can do about putting space between everything 👍.

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Charity shops used to be a great place to pick up cheap LPs, but I think they have all wised up.

that said Oxfam do a great mail order service and it’s doubly satisfying as it’s all for a good cause.

my only advice technically would be when the time and budget allows, moving coil…..

Gray

I could never justify spending £25-30, or even more, on music I either already own on CD, or if more recent, can access via streaming.
Neither could I.

It got me thinking about my own relatively modest collection of 7", 12" and even 10" vinyl.
I don't think I ever spent as much as £7 on any of it (including the odd double album).
Got a few great 12" singles brand new for 50p, one for 25p.

Admittedly, I'm a skinflint but £25-£30?
....absolutely no way.

Bemused me to see the same album in HMV; £5.99 on CD, £29.95 on vinyl.....being allowed (and encouraged) by people with too much spare money.

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

That's a good solid set-up, with a very strong cost/enjoyment ratio. My suggestion is to get at least a couple of years out of it before you consider any major changes beyond the repositioning already recommended. An MC would be overkill on that deck, and you'd have to add an external phono stage too.

My best advice is to avoid going further down the hi-fi rabbit warren at this stage. You've done you research and, with the help of a retailer with particular talents for well performing affordable systems, you have a rewarding set-up. Utilise that to enjoy the music - it's far more satisfying.

As for vinyl, it has become very expensive indeed. One of my favourite albums (Once Again, by Barclay James Harvest) has been reissued on quality vinyl, but I can't justify or afford the £47 that is being charged for it.

Last edited:
Even a non-vinyl user like me would suggest the biggest gains you'll get will be from moving things further apart and then just enjoying the benefits.

Do you listen in such a way that you get a stereo image (i.e. between the speakers)? They are far too close together to give you much in that respect, as well as being too close from a heat/vibration perspective.

TRENDING THREADS