Question Best kit for a Beogram 9500

gilesforrest

Oct 30, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm no audiophile, but I've been gifted a Beogram 9500 to play vinyl. It needs repairing (no signs of power) so I've found someone to repair and service it.

However, I still would need to connect it to something - I've got a Sonos set up and thought about connecting it to that, however I thought it would be a bit of a waste of analogue audio to convert to digital so am now thinking it's best just to get an amp and speaker set up which makes the most of the natural sound.

I'll need a pre-amp (along with a cable for the 7 pin DIN on the Beogram), amp and speakers. Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable kit which will compliment the turntable without burning too much of a hole in my pocket?

Many thanks!

Why do you think you need a preamp?
Have you have some sort of budget in mind?
What size room is the system going into?
Ideally find a working BeoCentre 9500?
However, looking at some of the prices they are asking for these decks on eBay I would be tempted to sell it and buy a modern set-up.

Last edited:
That said if they do go for these prices it would mean you could afford a much better deck, in a sense, with a much better cartridge.
It's not all about looks.....
This is assuming the OP can actually get it working again.

gilesforrest

Oct 30, 2022
Visit site
Why do you think you need a preamp?
Have you have some sort of budget in mind?
What size room is the system going into?
Ideally find a working BeoCentre 9500?
However, looking at some of the prices they are asking for these decks on eBay I would be tempted to sell it and buy a modern set-up.

Hi, the 9500 apparently doesn't include an RIAA so assume I'd need that? Or at least an amp with a phono input?

I had investigated the Beocentre but it's rather large and don't think I'd use the tape or cd...

Room is about 4m x 8m

Unless it has a very rare control connection, the output is likely to be a 5-pin DIN plug, so all you need is a converter like this.

Then you can use any phono stage and/or integrated amp. I’m not sure how easy it is to get styli now, but if it’s working (once fixed) then it’s a fabulous thing. That said, perhaps not ideal outside of a complete B&O system.

What budget have you for the rest, because with a nice sized room like that you could easily spend ten grand? For a reasonable cost a Cambridge EVO 150 looks quite cool and can power any speaker.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi, the 9500 apparently doesn't include an RIAA so assume I'd need that? Or at least an amp with a phono input?

I had investigated the Beocentre but it's rather large and don't think I'd use the tape or cd...

Room is about 4m x 8m
Yes it will need an amp with an inbuilt phono stage. However most will have this facility.
there's little point in paying out a fortune if this is to be your primary source.
again some idea as to budget might help...

gilesforrest

Oct 30, 2022
Visit site
Yes it will need an amp with an inbuilt phono stage. However most will have this facility.
there's little point in paying out a fortune if this is to be your primary source.
again some idea as to budget might help...

Well, given it'll cost about £500 to connect to the Sonos (via a Sonos Connect Amp) maybe that should be the budget - as I said I'm no audiophile looking to spend thousands, but would like to make something of this gift.

Gray

It's a 7 pin (see picture)
Well if you intend to use it with modern day gear, here's what I'd suggest:

When you put it in for repair, ask him to replace that entire plug / cable with a twin cable with RCA plugs.
Discuss the earthing arrangement with him. (He could wire it internally so that the twin plugs are all you need...or, at your request, he could bring out a separate, single wire for you to attach to a ground post).

Ask him if he can preserve the old cable (not cut it) so you can store it.
The price those things are going for, you must retain the option of one day reverting it to original (although someone, such as yourself, might welcome the conversion.....you can charge them another £500 for that 🤑).

gilesforrest

Oct 30, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, to clarify, I was thinking of staying analogue (and not connecting it to modern gear) - the cost to hook up analogue to Sonos is about £500 for a Sonos Amp Connect so that was how I came to a £500 budget for an analogue amp and speakers - happy to go with something vintage, and as I said I considered the Beocentre 9500 as they go for about £400-£500 but they are very large and I wouldn't use the tape and CD. Looking for a nice amp I could put under the turntable and connect some speakers to and have some nice sound, with a budget of about £500

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts