Which integrated amplifier / streamer? (to go with Monitor Audio Silver 100's & Pro-Ject Turntable)

Melbourne_Oz

Oct 13, 2022
Visit site
I'm looking for some advice on a home hifi set up. I've previously DJ'ed for many years and understand that set up, but finding it hard to fully grasp the best set for a home hifi. 70-80% of the time will be streaming music, the remaining 20-30% of the time will be playing vinyl records. I have a total budget of $5k AUD (for speakers, turntable & amp/streamer).

In terms of music and listening preferences - I tend to listen to a lot of electronic music, as well as a mix of soul, funk, disco type stuff. Volumes would be a mix of lower background music (as it will be placed in a living/dining space with the family) and at slightly higher levels for personal listening. I would say that I do like the bass to stand out when listening to music, not at the expense of mid/highs but needs to have some punch.

I'm pretty sold on the Monitor Audio Silver 100 7G speakers from everything I've read (and had a listen at my local hifi store), and although I'm a big fan of the Technics turntable, they are pushing my budget so I've been looking at Pro-Ject Debut PRO.

What I'm struggling with is the right integrated amplifier and streamer to go with this. The guy at the local hifi store recommended NAD C 368 with BluOS 2i streaming built into it, but I've read varying reviews. Darko Audio on youtube recommended AudioLab 6000A with the Silver 100's, but seems to get a bad review for its streaming capability.

Anyone got any recommendations for me please - ideally amp & streamer in one, but open to looking at 2 seperate devices? Budget around $2k AUD (with $3k going to speakers & turntable).

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi i think the criticisms on the audiolab 6000a play & 6000n refers to the playfi control app, the quality of the experience depends on what streaming service you use. I own both units & when used with spotify connect they have both worked perfectly without any problems, i understand the latest playfi update now allows a direct connection when using tidal avoiding the problems that were associated with having to stream via the control device, although ive not used it myself. Personally i really like the 6000a play sound, it's clean, with good seperation & dynamics. For the money if your streaming with spotify then personally i think it's a steal. I noted your comment about liking a slighly forward base presentation, you could add a small sub to the mix, if your speakers arn't full range it will fill out that bottom end, providing a foundation to the sound. You can get a sub to take the sound down to 20hz for 1000 AUD (svs sb1000, rel ht1205 etc), Id definatly add the audiolab 6000a play to your audition list & what ever you go with have fun.......😁

Reactions: RoA
I'm looking for some advice on a home hifi set up. I've previously DJ'ed for many years and understand that set up, but finding it hard to fully grasp the best set for a home hifi. 70-80% of the time will be streaming music, the remaining 20-30% of the time will be playing vinyl records. I have a total budget of $5k AUD (for speakers, turntable & amp/streamer).

In terms of music and listening preferences - I tend to listen to a lot of electronic music, as well as a mix of soul, funk, disco type stuff. Volumes would be a mix of lower background music (as it will be placed in a living/dining space with the family) and at slightly higher levels for personal listening. I would say that I do like the bass to stand out when listening to music, not at the expense of mid/highs but needs to have some punch.

I'm pretty sold on the Monitor Audio Silver 100 7G speakers from everything I've read (and had a listen at my local hifi store), and although I'm a big fan of the Technics turntable, they are pushing my budget so I've been looking at Pro-Ject Debut PRO.

What I'm struggling with is the right integrated amplifier and streamer to go with this. The guy at the local hifi store recommended NAD C 368 with BluOS 2i streaming built into it, but I've read varying reviews. Darko Audio on youtube recommended AudioLab 6000A with the Silver 100's, but seems to get a bad review for its streaming capability.

Anyone got any recommendations for me please - ideally amp & streamer in one, but open to looking at 2 seperate devices? Budget around $2k AUD (with $3k going to speakers & turntable).
As a long-term owner of Pro-ject tables I can recommend the brand.

Regards a amp/streamer is harder - not familiar with Oz brands available locally. Whatever make available it's wise to purchase one with a built-in phono stage: Arcam, Marantz, Rotel.....

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
For the cost of an Audiolab 6000A Play you could get a s/h Hegel H90.

As much as I like the Audiolab (non Play), and I like it a lot, the Hegel is better. It should be at over twice the cost new.

Failing that, the 6000A is one of Hifi's bargains imho. You won't be disappointed.

nads

Just a add my 2p worth. The interface with the streamer part of the whole set up is rather important. As is your compute/net work knowledge.

the Project set up is open source so you need to have a bit of know how to get things set up. The BluOS is easy to set up and seems to be quite intuitive.

i was looking at getting a streamer from either Project or BluOS (NAD) as I have decided to retire my Squeezebox which I used with iPeng which was fantastic.

anyway I went for the BlueSound Node and I like.
set it up to my library easily. Needed to register an account with Tunein to get BBC6 Music. Will play Spotify even though I only have the free account. It is just a shame it does not scrobble music from your stored library.

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
what about kef ls50 wireless 2's - amp streamer and dac all built in and you can input a turntable in the aux in. I have them and they are great for streaming ive also used the aux in just with ablu ray player playing a cd and sounds good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts