1st foray into vinyl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
That's a good solid set-up, with a very strong cost/enjoyment ratio. My suggestion is to get at least a couple of years out of it before you consider any major changes beyond the repositioning already recommended. An MC would be overkill on that deck, and you'd have to add an external phono stage too.

My best advice is to avoid going further down the hi-fi rabbit warren at this stage. You've done you research and, with the help of a retailer with particular talents for well performing affordable systems, you have a rewarding set-up. Utilise that to enjoy the music - it's far more satisfying.

As for vinyl, it has become very expensive indeed. One of my favourite albums (Once Again, by Barclay James Harvest) has been reissued on quality vinyl, but I can't justify or afford the £47 that is being charged for it.
I was really surprised to see the price of new vinyl now (not having bought any for at least 40 odd years). Unless it's something I really want, then I'll stick to the second hand market. I've just bought 3 more LPs from Ebay for around a tenner each, which isn't bad, and is what you'd pay for a CD now...albeit a recent release.

Reactions: Al ears

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
Even a non-vinyl user like me would suggest the biggest gains you'll get will be from moving things further apart and then just enjoying the benefits.

Do you listen in such a way that you get a stereo image (i.e. between the speakers)? They are far too close together to give you much in that respect, as well as being too close from a heat/vibration perspective.
Yeah, I'm looking into repositioning as per advice from yourself and others (great advice for a hi fi newbie by the way). I think I'm also going to look at getting the speakers on the wall too....pending agreement from the other half 😂. My listening position will normally be opposite the speakers as we have a small sofa perfectly positioned....I assume it's preferable to have the speakers pointing at the listener....i.e. if they're on the wall, have them at a slight downward angle if im sitting opposite them?

Yeah, I'm looking into repositioning as per advice from yourself and others (great advice for a hi fi newbie by the way). I think I'm also going to look at getting the speakers on the wall too....pending agreement from the other half 😂. My listening position will normally be opposite the speakers as we have a small sofa perfectly positioned....I assume it's preferable to have the speakers pointing at the listener....i.e. if they're on the wall, have them at a slight downward angle if im sitting opposite them?
Ideally you need the tweeter at ear level when seated. Wall mounting may not allow this, they may sound better if not pointing directly at you. Experiment.

Gray

I'm looking into repositioning
I must have been reading another thread when I read the OP say the speakers were not rear ported.....because, of course, your Q Acoustics are rear ported Colin.

Not sure whether yours are designed to take advantage of close proximity to the front wall - but rear ports close to walls can be a real problem - making bass unlistenable.

Yours may have been supplied with foam bungs for the ports, which can help, but that's still less than ideal.

....will all be part of your experimentation.
(Make sure that you at least compare different distances from the wall before deciding on your permanent soeaker position).

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The lamp on the left and the plant on the right need to go. Then the turntable and the amplifier can be placed side by side. The speakers will also benefit from the increased distance between them.

Reactions: colinj71

colinj71

Jul 2, 2023
Visit site
I must have been reading another thread when I read the OP say the speakers were not rear ported.....because, of course, your Q Acoustics are rear ported Colin.

Not sure whether yours are designed to take advantage of close proximity to the front wall - but rear ports close to walls can be a real problem - making bass unlistenable.

Yours may have been supplied with foam bungs for the ports, which can help, but that's still less than ideal.

(Make sure that you at least compare different distances from the wall before deciding on your permanent soeaker position).
Yes, the speakers came with foam bungs but I'll try moving them before deciding their final position 👍.

matthewpianist

Q Acoustics make their own wall brackets specifically for the 3000i series, so with the bungs in there should really be no problem.

Gray

Before complaining about the price of vinyl compared to what it cost you in the past, use this calculator https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator to see what you paid in the past is equivalent too today. (Note were talking new prices)

Bill
Those comparisons mean nothing to me Bill.
My value judgements are based on how much a seller is taking the piss.

I paid £800 for a 42" LED backlit TV in 2011.
Today I can get a 55" OLED for £700 - so much more, for so much less.
Inflation in reverse there.

Yes inflation affects retail, but often it's just a 'justification' for real greed.
£47 for vinyl. Sorry, no.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

Yes inflation affects retail, but often it's just a 'justification' for real greed.
I did buy a brand new vinyl at £28.
Mind you, it was a 1/2 speed 180g high quality pressing :) re-issue

Reactions: Gray

DCarmi

As someone with a decent amount of vinyl, and still buys them, I'd recommend picking up a CD player. The cost of a CD is low. Shop around on sites and charity shops and you can pick up some bargains. Not so much with vinyl because charity shops have wised up a bit, unless you are into Perry Como or Val Doonican!!.

For the stuff I really want on vinyl I tend to put on my wish list and get them for birthdays, Xmas and the like.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
As someone with a decent amount of vinyl, and still buys them, I'd recommend picking up a CD player. The cost of a CD is low. Shop around on sites and charity shops and you can pick up some bargains. Not so much with vinyl because charity shops have wised up a bit, unless you are into Perry Como or Val Doonican!!.

For the stuff I really want on vinyl I tend to put on my wish list and get them for birthdays, Xmas and the like.
If I tell you my birthday will that mean that you'll get me Manfredo Fest - Jungle Kitten oo 12" vinyl?

Reactions: Oxfordian

matthewpianist

There's some good second hand buys around when it comes to CD players as well. I own a Sony CDP770 from around 1990 - it works perfectly and sounds as good as my new Rotel.

Yeah, I tend to look at charity shops, but buy online from known dealers

To be fair, for some makes of vinyl, £47 is cheap.... :)

Reactions: Oxfordian

DCarmi

If I tell you my birthday will that mean that you'll get me Manfredo Fest - Jungle Kitten oo 12" vinyl?
:LOL: Because its on my wish list doesn't mean I get, unfortunately.

Fathers day was a bottle of wine from one son and the pleasure of helping the other move out! If it wasn't for the fact his old room is 2 flights away from my turntable, I'd consider expanding vinyl storage in there.

Oxfordian

Neither could I.

It got me thinking about my own relatively modest collection of 7", 12" and even 10" vinyl.
I don't think I ever spent as much as £7 on any of it (including the odd double album).
Got a few great 12" singles brand new for 50p, one for 25p.

Admittedly, I'm a skinflint but £25-£30?
....absolutely no way.

Bemused me to see the same album in HMV; £5.99 on CD, £29.95 on vinyl.....being allowed (and encouraged) by people with too much spare money.
Interesting comment, I buy vinyl, I buy vinyl at retail new or secondhand. I just love the interaction that I have with vinyl it is something that I just don't get with any other format. I am however very selective in what I buy, the purchase has to be something that I really want and not just bought on a whim.

CD's, well I have quite a nice collection and I do play them but I don't get that same involvement as I do with vinyl, if I cannot get vinyl that I want then I will consider a CD to fill a gap.

Streaming, well sadly at this moment in time it holds absolutely no interest for me other than as a resource for checking out a new group or album that has piqued my interest, I find it a cold and uninvolving source.

But I do agree that vinyl is overpriced and that people are milking the current interest in the medium, its a bit like using film for photography, a year or three back film cameras and film were easily obtained and relatively cheap to use, now with all the social media interest camera prices have rocketed, the cost of buying and developing the film is sky high.

My frustration is the loss of approx 300 or so 7" singles and 100 or so 12" singles that have gone AWOL, somewhere in my various house moves an incoming owner has found a few crates of music that I inadvertently left behind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts