Replacing my TV

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My old Toshiba CRT went pop with a nasty smell last night so I am in the market for a replacement. I would appreciate some suggestions for best available picture and functions.

Looking for around 40"

LCD, LED, Plasma???

I must say I am asthetically drawn to the Samsung LCD's with very narrow frame.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that suggestion.

That looks a bargain, but what do I get for example another £500 in terms of picture quality and other features?

John Duncan

It's actually quite difficult to spend a grand on a 40-42" TV now. It won't get you much better picture quality, IMO, but it might get you prettier - eg

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-led-tvs/samsung/ue40d7000/sams-ue40d7000l

I personally prefer Panasonic TVs to Samsung though.

Alternatively, you could go bigger and get the 50" version of the Panasonic for £1k.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
We got the 50st30 a few weeks ago great tv looked at all the other brands and could not find anything as good for under £700.I would go and demo both the Panasonic and Samsung 40d7000, but at over twice as much and 2 inches smaller, the Panny wins it for me.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
tHINK VERY CAREFULLY ABOUT PICTURE SIZE. Everyone I know and me with a 40/42" wish that we had gone for a 50". The 50" will look ENORMOUS after a crt but spend the grand and get the 50" Panasonic. Last time I checked it was considerably less than a grand, more like £700, anyway.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
if you are looking at the samsung d7000 be wary of backlight bleed issues i purchased the d8000 which had extreme backlight bleed so went for plasma

A

Anonymous

A very expensive tv but absolutely stunning to look at! Every shop right now is off loading Panasonics Plasmas and other makes. I would say go with Samsung but be prepared to pay big bucks if you go with the D7000 or D8000 as they still full priced in the shops and on various websites.....

MrCoolxx said:
Every shop right now is off loading Panasonics Plasmas and other makes.

And your source of information? Stop talking non sense. Just because you've had a bad experience (most of which due to your fault) with a plasma doesn't automatically make it a bad experience for "every shop". Reply only when you have evidence to back up your claims.

A

Anonymous

I'm not going to walk round a shop taking pics of Panny Plasmas to prI've a point on a forum I'm not that sad lol. Panasonic Plasmas are the cheapest option on the high street at the moment, Samsung not!

zientific

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
MrCoolxx said:
I'm not going to walk round a shop taking pics of Panny Plasmas to prI've a point on a forum I'm not that sad lol. Panasonic Plasmas are the cheapest option on the high street at the moment, Samsung not!

I think you will find that most of the old models are now being discounted and its quite clear that your own blinkered view regarding Panasonic is far from offering the op some clarity in his purchase!

MrCoolxx said:

That's simply because 2012 Panasonic models have started to come in the market. So the 2011 models will be discounted. Samsung ones will come in May.

A

Anonymous

No what I'm actually saying is the D8000 and D7000 are the best looking TVs on the shop floor period! But at the moment they are carrying thier price and have centre stage in John Lewis. If you in the market for a cheaper tv then you can pick up a 500 quid inferior Panny plasma. It got nothing to do with my opinion it what looks better quality on the floor and that gong goes to Samsung.

MrCoolxx said:
No what I'm actually saying is the D8000 and D7000 are the best looking TVs on the shop floor period! But at the moment they are carrying thier price and have centre stage in John Lewis. If you in the market for a cheaper tv then you can pick up a 500 quid inferior Panny plasma. It got nothing to do with my opinion it what looks better quality on the floor and that gong goes to Samsung.

It's obvious you prefer the oversaturated colours of LED lit LCD TVs rather than natural colour rendition of plasmas.

A

Anonymous

DUPLICATE POST - DELETED BY MODS

So which model should i go for then andy for £1000? 46HX823 Sony @£999 or an ex display pan 46gt30 for £1049? Any ideas as there is still no reviews for pans 1st passive sets.

A

Anonymous

So which model should i go for then andy for £1000? 46HX823 Sony @£999 or an ex display pan 46gt30 for £1049? Any ideas as there is still no reviews for pans 1st passive sets.

A

Anonymous

RoloMonkey said:

You sound like you are in the same position as me regards a new tv. If you buying from the high street try John Lewis as they are the cheapest do 5 year warranty on all sets and free delivery. But they not got the GT30 no more and you find a lot of plasma's are going really cheap at the moment. Beware of the Sony's as crosstalk has been reported on some. Samsung D7000, D8000 have great picture quality but are very expensive. But these sets are 800 hz refresh built in wifi too. Another option is Ebay but on here they still fetching 900 plus. Panasonics plasma look faded compared to Samsung leds as they look richer in colour. Best thing to do is go to your local John Lewis and view for your self and then decide. I would advise against 42 on a plasma if you decide to go down that option, bigger the screen the better when it comes to 3d otherwise you be sitting on top of your screen.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Words cannot express my discontent with John Lewis and Panasonic about my 4 year old 37" 2008 prize winning TV.Not only did I get a price match down to £539 from £799 with 5 year guarantee,but the damn thing will just not go wrong,no matter what I do to it.Kids have hit it,the cleaner's sprayed everything at the screen but it still keeps showing this fantastic picture.

I have complained ad nauseam to Pana and JL but they will not entertain my complaints.I had to reject their offer of a new telly because it couldn't match what I had.

My advice to you out there is don't bother with all other makes,just buy Pannies and suffer like I have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts