Replacing my TV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS

Come on guys, let's keep it friendly. Can we get back to the original topic please or this thread will be locked.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
av-1.gif

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy glad the update has solved your issue with your tv as it did with mine and as i have said i cannot praise panasonic enough with the speed to which the issue was solved contary to one certain person on this forum :cheer:

A

Anonymous

3937edwards said:
hi oldboy glad the update has solved your issue with your tv as it did with mine and as i have said i cannot praise panasonic enough with the speed to which the issue was solved contary to one certain person on this forum :cheer:

Well we all entitled to our opinion it's called democracy! i think a lot of people on forums have forgot that.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i second that oldboy before i got my gt30 i purchased the d8000 horendus backlight bleed and dead pixels yes samsung do make good looking tvs but thats no good when they suffer with these such issues

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Having owned both LCD and Plasma TVs, I'd always go for a Plasma. Most LCDs, including my current Samsung bedroom TV suffer badly with backlight bleed.

So, I'd go with the http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p50g30b-full-hd-50-plasma-tv-10388043-pdt.html, but not necessarily from Currys.

As good as the GT30, but without the 3D, thus saving you lots of cash.

Thanks for this, this looks amazing value, but tell me, is it only 3D I would be missing here or is there anything else??

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, been to Currys and Comet to view today, staff hopeless and wouldn't trust any of them to give me reliable information. In Comet they had the 50GT30 running on 3D and the guy couldn't even change it to 2D for me?? Almost the first question he asked was, do you want one today, and when I said no I was just researching, he quickly dissapeared! So I walked..

Having decided on Panasonic I am finding it all very confusing with the different models and prices. Some of these look ridiculously cheap so I am just worried I am missing something here.

The ST30 series looks very interesting. Tell me what is the disadvantage to the 46ST30 compared to the 46GT30?. M & S looks a good bet at £750 with 5 year guarantee on the 46ST30.

A

Anonymous

I was also took on myself to visit Comet and Currys today. Reason for the cheap sets is to make shop room to be replaced by the new 2012 range. You also need some extended warranty if you go with Panasonic as the costomer services are dreadful the worst i come across may i add. There mostly likely be more reductions come the Easter Bank Holidays as like you, i do like the D7000 so might be better off to wait as the price will come down on this television due to the new Samsung 2012 range. :bounce:

A

Anonymous

Oldboy said:
Now this is definately a good place to use LOL! Nice one Lee H that cracked me up :rofl:

I've said you was lucky with your retailor being Amazon! if this was say a small retailor then you probably would of been stuck with your tv like i was. As with Panasonic you wouldn't got any where due to self abuse by your self. It's a good thing you got a 5 year a extended warranty as you gona need it :)

Mark Webb said:
Having decided on Panasonic I am finding it all very confusing with the different models and prices. Some of these look ridiculously cheap so I am just worried I am missing something here.

The ST30 series looks very interesting. Tell me what is the disadvantage to the 46ST30 compared to the 46GT30?. M & S looks a good bet at £750 with 5 year guarantee on the 46ST30.

The prices are low because retailers are clearing the older models out for the new 2012 range.

GT30 has a freesat tuner, THX, media slot (camera and video card), computer input, and more HDMI inputs.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/tx-p50st30

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p50gt30

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mark Webb said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Having owned both LCD and Plasma TVs, I'd always go for a Plasma. Most LCDs, including my current Samsung bedroom TV suffer badly with backlight bleed.

So, I'd go with the http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p50g30b-full-hd-50-plasma-tv-10388043-pdt.html, but not necessarily from Currys.

As good as the GT30, but without the 3D, thus saving you lots of cash.

Thanks for this, this looks amazing value, but tell me, is it only 3D I would be missing here or is there anything else??

A far as I can tell, they have a gloss black bezel (the GT30 has a brushed steel look), no built in Freesat tuner, and no 3D. Otherwise, the same.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again Bigboss and Bigbernard. Having experienced the numpties in Currys and Comet I really want to buy from John Lewis. The only bargain non 3D they have is the TX-P50S30 at £600.

If you can spot any downsides with that I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks guys

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I got the 46S20 at Christmas and love it. No 3D but a fine image. I'd changed from Sony LCD previously. For me, it was a real bargain in an Amazon Black Friday deal.

Personally, I'm still not convinced on 3D

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - DUPLICATE POST

Go to the Panasonic centre, thats your best bet for demoing the 3D models .We did that and bought the 50st30 and now wish we went upto the 55" model.The st30 doesn't have such a good look and misses the features as mentioned, but still can acheive an excellent picture without the THX mode.ST30 can't quite acheive the same colour reproduction as the GT30 very slightly duller imho, but after a while and proper run in time the tv excels with natural colours and deep blacks and the added bonus of 3d makes it a bargain £699 with the 5yrs warranty.John Lewis offer some good deals but dont stock the st models anymore and it has also been very difficult to source the 46 model.As the newer models are soon to appear the mid range models will disappear.Hunt one down best purchase weve made for such a hi spec tv at a really affordable price.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Go to the Panasonic centre, thats your best bet for demoing the 3D models .We did that and bought the 50st30 and now wish we went upto the 55" model.The st30 doesn't have such a good look and misses the features as mentioned, but still can acheive an excellent picture without the THX mode.ST30 can't quite acheive the same colour reproduction as the GT30 very slightly duller imho, but after a while and proper run in time the tv excels with natural colours and deep blacks and the added bonus of 3d makes it a bargain £699 with the 5yrs warranty.John Lewis offer some good deals but dont stock the st models anymore and it has also been very difficult to source the 46 model.As the newer models are soon to appear the mid range models will disappear.Hunt one down best purchase weve made for such a hi spec tv at a really affordable price.

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys.

Tried the Panasonic Centre but all they have is the 50VT30 at over £1000 so thats a non runner compared to John Lewis.

Mark Webb said:
Thanks again Bigboss and Bigbernard. Having experienced the numpties in Currys and Comet I really want to buy from John Lewis. The only bargain non 3D they have is the TX-P50S30 at £600.

If you can spot any downsides with that I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks guys

Why don't you try Richer Sounds or Sevenoaks? Excellent customer service.

http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/lcd-and-plasma/plasma-tv#1

http://www.ssav.com/products/category/1765.0.4.3.1003132.0.0.0.0?current_per_page=40&current_sortby=recommended&per_pager=40&sort_selection=recommended

Mark Webb

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip BigBoss, neither have such a good deal as JL. They have the ST30 at another £100 but not at a local store. Having spoken to John Lewis on the phone they are in a different class to the twats at Comet and Currys.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Im 90% certain that I am going to put down a deposit in Richer Sounds Maidstone tomorrow on the 42" (small front room) GT30 - the What HiFi tv of the year.

Ha,ha, that will upset MrCool twonk.

Its £699 - which I think is a blinding deal with a 5 year guarantee.

I know that R S are running out of them fast.

I am also aware of the green issue which if I am unlucky enough to experience, I am presuming the Panasonic engineers will sort still ?

Any advice for me as well please? What are the recommended burn in settings etc . to watch out for ? Is this still an issue ?

I just need a bit of re-assurance before I part with 700 squid.

Oh and random question time - is this the Mark Webb that used to work at Gillingham Football Club ? If not just ignore me ! It must just be a coincidence. Good luck with your purchase though.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart said:
What are the recommended burn in settings etc . to watch out for ? Is this still an issue ?

Keep the brightness and contrast fairly low for the first 100 hours or so. Mine had a "True Cinema" mode which did the job nicely. Coming from an LCD, I actually enjoyed not having it quite as bright.

Try not to clean the screen protector with industrial cleaning fluids or leave a game paused for 4 hours too. This is now known in the industry as "doing a coolxx"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts