Replacing my TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Words cannot express my discontent with John Lewis and Panasonic about my 4 year old 37" 2008 prize winning TV.Not only did I get a price match down to £539 from £799 with 5 year guarantee,but the damn thing will just not go wrong,no matter what I do to it.Kids have hit it,the cleaner's sprayed everything at the screen but it still keeps showing this fantastic picture.

I have complained ad nauseam to Pana and JL but they will not entertain my complaints.I had to reject their offer of a new telly because it couldn't match what I had.

My advice to you out there is don't bother with all other makes,just buy Pannies and suffer like I have.

:) You must be gutted RGD. :)

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
MrCoolxx said:
No what I'm actually saying is the D8000 and D7000 are the best looking TVs on the shop floor period! But at the moment they are carrying thier price and have centre stage in John Lewis. If you in the market for a cheaper tv then you can pick up a 500 quid inferior Panny plasma. It got nothing to do with my opinion it what looks better quality on the floor and that gong goes to Samsung.

So if it's not your opinion, who's opinion is it ?

You're saying the 'D8000 and D7000 are the best looking TVs on the shop floor'.

You're saying you can pick up a '500 quid inferior Panny plasma'.

You're saying that 'it's what looks better quality on the floor and that gong goes to Samsung'.

So again, if these statements are not 'your opinion' please enlighten us as to their original source.

If, as I suspect, these are really just your own personal opinions, then it's quite obvious that you really don't have a clue what you are talking about.

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS: PLEASE DON'T ATTACK OTHER FORUM USERS.

You can make me as tiny as you want but I pity any one who parts with thier cash on a Panasonic Plasma fanboy view.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi bigboss i see the panasonic basher has reared its ugly head again i dont think panasonic will be to happy at mr coolxx putting potentiol customers off of buying there tvs >)

A

Anonymous

3937edwards said:
hi bigboss i see the panasonic basher has reared its ugly head again i dont think panasonic will be to happy at mr coolxx putting potentiol customers off of buying there tvs >)

SORRY, i must of missed the sponsored by Panasonic (voted worst Customer Services of 2012) sign when i walked in! :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MrCoolxx said:
3937edwards said:

SORRY, i must of missed the sponsored by Panasonic (voted worst Customer Services of 2012) sign when i walked in! :rofl:

Can't believe people are still entertaining this troll.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
MrCoolxx said:
3937edwards said:

One troll surrounded by A forum of Panasonic Plasma Fanboys lol?

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
MrCoolxx said:
3937edwards said:

Troll (lol), sad individual (lol), over user of "lol" (lol)

A

Anonymous

Lee H said:
The_Lhc said:
MrCoolxx said:
3937edwards said:

That's allright you Edited by mods - please don't use swear words any way! just remember when some 1 comes here for recomendation i be honest with them as for you can stick your clown costume and do what you do best :rofl:

Troll (lol), sad individual (lol), over user of "lol" (lol)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Just wanted to add a positive spin on the anti Panasonic stance of Mr not so coolxx.

Today the engineers turned up to update my GT30 tv as i had started to notice some green tinge rearing it's ugly head, 10-15mins and it was done and seems to have solved the issue straight away. Panasonic customer service were very helpful and quick to act on the issue and i couldn't be happier with the service i received from them, i'm still extremely happy with the tv and don't plan to change it any time soon.

Just to be clear i'm not a Panasonic fanboy i just wanted to add some clarity as to what the average consumer can expect from Panasonic customer services if you contact them. From the moment i reported the issue to it being fixed today via an sd card update took about a week, i thought that was good service.

A

Anonymous

Oldboy said:
Just wanted to add a positive spin on the anti Panasonic stance of Mr not so coolxx.

Today the engineers turned up to update my GT30 tv as i had started to notice some green tinge rearing it's ugly head, 10-15mins and it was done and seems to have solved the issue straight away. Panasonic customer service were very helpful and quick to act on the issue and i couldn't be happier with the service i received from them, i'm still extremely happy with the tv and don't plan to change it any time soon.

Just to be clear i'm not a Panasonic fanboy i just wanted to add some clarity as to what the average consumer can expect from Panasonic customer services if you contact them. From the moment i reported the issue to it being fixed today via an sd card update took about a week, i thought that was good service.

Remember that thread not started by me may i add Panasonic worst customer service for 2012 i wonder if you be happy in a few years with your product?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
With a 5 year guarantee purchased at the same time as the tv i would say the answer is an emphatic yes. Only a new tv tech such as OLED would tempt me before then to upgrade and i'm safe in the knowledge that my tv is covered for the next 5 years.

I know the thread wasn't started by you but the OP was asking about replacing his tv and Panasonic recomendations were given so i thought a bit of perspective was in order after your posts which were very negative.

A

Anonymous

Oldboy said:
With a 5 year guarantee purchased at the same time as the tv i would say the answer is an emphatic yes. Only a new tv tech such as OLED would tempt me before then to upgrade and i'm safe in the knowledge that my tv is covered for the next 5 years.

I know the thread wasn't started by you but the OP was asking about replacing his tv and Panasonic recomendations were given so i thought a bit of perspective was in order after your posts which were very negative.

That's cos i wouldn't reccomend Panasonic over a D7000 or D8000 no way! panny was 699 but it been deleted now because JL no longer have it in store. D8000 1300 there's no comparison and that a 42 panny old plasma tv with no wifi slower refresh rate and most likely poorer sound. The problem is there too many Panasonic plasma fanboys on here as all they reccomend is Panasonic nothing else. Plasma is old tech it days are numbered, but it's the Koreans who have the market now not the Japs. Samsung and LG currently have 70 percent of the market between them. Thats why they will launch Oled this year. Panasonic are lagging behind still producing old tech. LG have helped them with a passive led for the record.......

John Duncan

MrCoolxx said:
That's cos i wouldn't reccomend Panasonic over a D7000 or D8000 no way! panny was 699 but it been deleted now because JL no longer have it in store. D8000 1300 there's no comparison and that a 42 panny old plasma tv with no wifi slower refresh rate and most likely poorer sound. The problem is there too many Panasonic plasma fanboys on here as all they reccomend is Panasonic nothing else. Plasma is old tech it days are numbered, but it's the Koreans who have the market now not the Japs. Samsung and LG currently have 70 percent of the market between them. Thats why they will launch Oled this year. Panasonic are lagging behind still producing old tech. LG have helped them with a passive led for the record.......

"the Japs".

Loving your turn of phrase, MrCoolxx*

*this is a lie

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
MrCoolxx said:

"the Japs".

Google it pal it ain't lol there's alot you can learn from a web browser, try it for once you might shock your self lol....

*this is a lie

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Oldboy said:

Sounds like excellent service :)

John Duncan

MrCoolxx said:
John Duncan said:
MrCoolxx said:

"the Japs".

Google it pal it ain't lol there's alot you can learn from a web browser, try it for once you might shock your self lol....

*this is a lie

Before I do, you might wish to google the dictionary definition of "moderator".

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
MrCoolxx said:
John Duncan said:
MrCoolxx said:

"the Japs".

*this is a lie

Before I do, you might wish to google the dictionary definition of "moderator".

I don't need to I know! But obviously don't know everything about Panasonic

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
MrCoolxx,

I demoed both of those Samsung tvs before i bought my GT30 and i simply wouldn't buy either of them, both the 7000 and 8000 suffered from horrendous backlight issues! They were so bad i asked the retailer if the sets were faulty to which he replied, and i quote "they are both within spec" which immediately put me off as anyone could see these tvs had a real issue. 3 of the four corners were absolutlely terrible with strong white clouds visible no matter what was on screen and when the picture went dark the effect got even worse with the other corner of the screen showing the issue (although not as bad) and the effect intruding even further into the screen.

I even took the time out to visit a second retailer just to make sure that the first store didn't just have a bad batch but alas at the second retailer the plot thickened...this time the 7000 showed exactly the same issue but the 8000 had the issue around the entire screen! Backlighting like that was more than enough to stop me from buying either tv and just goes to show that you should try before you buy, i have since read many angry forums reporting the issue much like you did with your Panasonic G20 and i wouldn't buy one over a GT30 or VT30 if you paid me.

Plasma is an older tech then lcd/led that's true but it's days are far from numbered with most home cinema enthusiasts much preferring the more natural picture they produce. The 2011 Panasonic plasma tvs were highly recommended on these forums because of their performance and indeed a quick glance at the 2011 WHF awards issue would tell you why, no other tv got even close to the performance offered by these tvs thats why they are so highly recommended and not because everyone here is a fanboy of Panasonic...i think i can speak for most of the members here by saying we are fans of performance regardless of manufacturer which is why the Pioneer Kuro tvs are still held in such high regard on here.

zientific

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Oldboy said:
MrCoolxx,

I demoed both of those Samsung tvs before i bought my GT30 and i simply wouldn't buy either of them, both the 7000 and 8000 suffered from horrendous backlight issues! They were so bad i asked the retailer if the sets were faulty to which he replied, and i quote "they are both within spec" which immediately put me off as anyone could see these tvs had a real issue. 3 of the four corners were absolutlely terrible with strong white clouds visible no matter what was on screen and when the picture went dark the effect got even worse with the other corner of the screen showing the issue (although not as bad) and the effect intruding even further into the screen.

I even took the time out to visit a second retailer just to make sure that the first store didn't just have a bad batch but alas at the second retailer the plot thickened...this time the 7000 showed exactly the same issue but the 8000 had the issue around the entire screen! Backlighting like that was more than enough to stop me from buying either tv and just goes to show that you should try before you buy, i have since read many angry forums reporting the issue much like you did with your Panasonic G20 and i wouldn't buy one over a GT30 or VT30 if you paid me.

Plasma is an older tech then lcd/led that's true but it's days are far from numbered with most home cinema enthusiasts much preferring the more natural picture they produce. The 2011 Panasonic plasma tvs were highly recommended on these forums because of their performance and indeed a quick glance at the 2011 WHF awards issue would tell you why, no other tv got even close to the performance offered by these tvs thats why they are so highly recommended and not because everyone here is a fanboy of Panasonic...i think i can speak for most of the members here by saying we are fans of performance regardless of manufacturer which is why the Pioneer Kuro tvs are still held in such high regard on here.

I concur totally with this. I can say I was seduced by the look of the Samsungs but once I demoed them along side the GT30 there was no comparison. I went with the best set that I could afford and that was the Panasonic, I have a 5 year warranty also so am content. I also realise that its a tad silly to leave a plasma paused for four hours :oops:

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Oldboy said:
The 2011 Panasonic plasma tvs were highly recommended on these forums because of their performance and indeed a quick glance at the 2011 WHF awards issue would tell you why, no other tv got even close to the performance offered by these tvs thats why they are so highly recommended and not because everyone here is a fanboy of Panasonic.

And its not just WHF who give them very good reviews but every organisation that has reviewed them does the same.

TRENDING THREADS