replacement for Philips 42PFL9664

sicklyorange

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I bought the TV from Richer Sounds just after it received the 'TV Product of the Year' in the 2009 Awards. I have had to have the panel replaced twice and it has gone again (same problem - shadows/lines in parts of the screen). Despite this, I love the TV (and the Ambilight) and I know several people on here have said that it IS a problem but if you can get a good panel then it will last.

Richer Sounds have been great but the guy at the shop they say it may come under the '3 strikes and it's out' kind of unwritten policy they have.

They recon with advances in technology, a replacement like-for-like basis would be around the £750 mark - pointing to an LG 3D Smart TV (a premium TV??)

1) Can they do this?

2) What do people people think about their like-for-like price

3) What would people opinions on a replacement TV... (cue opening of can of worms...)

I'm not fussed on 3D - I just want a good picture. WiFi would be nice but it has to be from Richer Sounds

Thanks,

Rich.

D

Deleted member 2457

sicklyorange said:
Hi all,

I bought the TV from Richer Sounds just after it received the 'TV Product of the Year' in the 2009 Awards. I have had to have the panel replaced twice and it has gone again (same problem - shadows/lines in parts of the screen). Despite this, I love the TV (and the Ambilight) and I know several people on here have said that it IS a problem but if you can get a good panel then it will last.

Richer Sounds have been great but the guy at the shop they say it may come under the '3 strikes and it's out' kind of unwritten policy they have.

They recon with advances in technology, a replacement like-for-like basis would be around the £750 mark - pointing to an LG 3D Smart TV (a premium TV??)

1) Can they do this?

2) What do people people think about their like-for-like price

3) What would people opinions on a replacement TV... (cue opening of can of worms...)

I'm not fussed on 3D - I just want a good picture. WiFi would be nice but it has to be from Richer Sounds

Thanks,

Rich.

Blimey, that don't sound good! How much did you pay for the Philips? I would say a Panasonic or a top Sony TV would be more fair.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Would you have to have the same size tv?

If so, I think this would be an excellent choice.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42st50b/pana-txp42st50b

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42st50b/pana-txp42st50b

+1 to that, but you would have to pay the 10% extra for another 5 year warranty by the looks of it.

The LG does get a free 5 year warranty, mind you i do not know if that is applicable on a replacement TV, you may have to haggle it as you have had so many problems with the Philips.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

That's exactly what I thought when I read the original post. As it would be a replacement rather than purchase, I'm not sure where you would stand on claiming 2x 3D glasses via Panasonic's promotional offer (valid on purchases before the 24th of December). It's worth checking.

You say you're not interested in 3D, but the ST is a good 3D performer. Plus, if you can claim the glasses and decide you've no interest in the 3D function, you could sell the glasses on and top up your Blu-ray collection (or whatever else takes your fancy).

It's probably worth an audition, though of course plasma televisions never look great under bright shop lighting.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

That's exactly what I thought when I read the original post. As it would be a replacement rather than purchase, I'm not sure where you would stand on claiming 2x 3D glasses via Panasonic's promotional offer (valid on purchases before the 24th of December). It's worth checking.

You say you're not interested in 3D, but the ST is a good 3D performer. Plus, if you can claim the glasses and decide you've no interest in the 3D function, you could sell the glasses on and top up your Blu-ray collection (or whatever else takes your fancy).

It's probably worth an audition, though of course plasma televisions never look great under bright shop lighting.

Yep, good choice, and a really good price too!

sicklyorange

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Blimey, thanks for the replies, that was quick!

I paid £1500 (then add warrenty) 3.5 years ago - it was pretty advanced for it's time: bult in WiFi/Net TV (early smart TV), Ambilight (I LOVE the Ambilight!), decent sound, , 200Hz, reasonably thin, (and it was a Philips after all)

It doesn't have to be the same size but I would be happy going bigger :) .

Also I would be happy putting another, say, £500 towards it.

Regarding 3D - I paid a fair bit for the BR player at the same time and that isn't 3D!

Regarding whether it is a smart TV, I have the computer/media player linked up to the TV and wireless keyboard/mouse so that feature wouldn't wouldn't be needed.

So basically I want one that does what a TV is meant to do - show a damn-good clear, contrasting, detailed, picture with good motion

I'll look into the suggestion from above.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

sicklyorange said:
Blimey, thanks for the replies, that was quick!

I paid £1500 (then add warrenty) 3.5 years ago - it was pretty advanced for it's time: bult in WiFi/Net TV (early smart TV), Ambilight (I LOVE the Ambilight!), decent sound, , 200Hz, reasonably thin, (and it was a Philips after all)

It doesn't have to be the same size but I would be happy going bigger :) .

Also I would be happy putting another, say, £500 towards it.

Regarding 3D - I paid a fair bit for the BR player at the same time and that isn't 3D!

Regarding whether it is a smart TV, I have the computer/media player linked up to the TV and wireless keyboard/mouse so that feature wouldn't wouldn't be needed.

So basically I want one that does what a TV is meant to do - show a damn-good clear, contrasting, detailed, picture with good motion

I'll look into the suggestion from above.

This //www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp50st50b/pana-txp50st50b

or this http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp55st50b/pana-txp55st50b

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Let me try and get this straight...

You paid £1500 for a premium TV, including extended warranty, 3 years ago. You really like the TV but are now on the 3rd set (or has that gone as well?).

And Richer Sounds are trying to offer you a £750 TV as a "direct" replacement? I don't care what they say, £1500 3 years ago should at least get you a TV worth £1500 today (perhaps argue inflation should get you more!) or am I being too simplistic?

I would ask for a full refund of £1500 as the product you received has been faulty and go to John Lewis to buy the Panasonic GT50 (5 year warranty as standard). Failing that a TV worth £1500 or go to Watchdog or Which for advice. I can see why some people only buy their TVs from John Lewis as this would never happen (I'm sorry Sir, £1500 3 years ago is now only worth £750 so take you're pick from our non-Smart TV range :cry: ).

I have the Philips 32 9632D and love Ambilight as well but picture must always be the over riding factor when buying a TV. Plus the Panasonic is as close to the natural tones of the Philips set that I've seen with better contrast. Plus my 32" 9632D struggles with motion (only 100 Hz) so it's a no brainer for me.

D

Deleted member 2457

ianr23gp said:
Let me try and get this straight...

You paid £1500 for a premium TV, including extended warranty, 3 years ago. You really like the TV but are now on the 3rd set (or has that gone as well?).

And Richer Sounds are trying to offer you a £750 TV as a "direct" replacement? I don't care what they say, £1500 3 years ago should at least get you a TV worth £1500 today (perhaps argue inflation should get you more!) or am I being too simplistic?

I would ask for a full refund of £1500 as the product you received has been faulty and go to John Lewis to buy the Panasonic GT50 (5 year warranty as standard). Failing that a TV worth £1500 or go to Watchdog or Which for advice. I can see why some people only buy their TVs from John Lewis as this would never happen (I'm sorry Sir, £1500 3 years ago is now only worth £750 so take you're pick from our non-Smart TV range :cry: ).

I have the Philips 32 9632D and love Ambilight as well but picture must always be the over riding factor when buying a TV. Plus the Panasonic is as close to the natural tones of the Philips set that I've seen with better contrast. Plus my 32" 9632D struggles with motion (only 100 Hz) so it's a no brainer for me.

Great post.
smiley-smile.gif
It is the best TV I have seen since my Philips 32pf9731d too.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts