48" 4K for kitchen/kids?

NorfolkNChance

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
Hello

I have recently bought a OLED55C34LA for the lounge and love it, a vast improvement on what we had before, a Samsung UE48JU6400 which is now in the kitchen/kids room.

I would like to now upgrade that but because of the layout of the wall it has to be 48". I don't want to spend C3 sort of money.

Any suggestions for a 48" 4K TV for kids/kitchen/Nintendo that is thin, easily wall mountable, will work through a Sonos, and won't break the bank?

Links to UK sales would be appreciated.

Thank you

S

Hello

I have recently bought a OLED55C34LA for the lounge and love it, a vast improvement on what we had before, a Samsung UE48JU6400 which is now in the kitchen/kids room.

I would like to now upgrade that but because of the layout of the wall it has to be 48". I don't want to spend C3 sort of money.

Any suggestions for a 48" 4K TV for kids/kitchen/Nintendo that is thin, easily wall mountable, will work through a Sonos, and won't break the bank?

Links to UK sales would be appreciated.

Thank you

S
You're more likely to find a cheaper 50-inch TV than 48-inch due to economies of scale. Only OLED TVs are made in 48-inch sizes, expect to pay minimum £899 for it. Double check the size because TVs nowadays have thinner bezels and you may find that the 50-inch TVs are equal in size to 48-inch TVs.

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

Juzzie Wuzzie

Adding to what BB has said above, I would measure your space and then, assuming today's 50" will fit in the space of yesterday's 48" buy a Samsung or LG according to budget. Six years ago, I was able to put a 49" Samsung in the space that a (now ten year old) 42" had previously occupied.

Reactions: bigboss

NorfolkNChance

Dec 28, 2023
Visit site
This has been good advice, there isn't much in the differences in size. Thank you.

With that in mind, any suggestions?

I don't really want to have to buy another C3 but I would like better than the current Samsung, which is actually not that bad but noticeably inferior to the C3 in the other room.

Reactions: jjbomber
That Samsung is a mid range TV which is very good for the price.

To go up in quality, look at Samsung QE50Q60C and Samsung QE50Q80C with quantum dot. I have personally preferred the more accurate rendition of colours on the Sony. Check out Sony BRAVIA KD50X75WL. Richer Sounds is a good website to check prices. They come with 6 year warranty and are amongst the best for after sales support.

You'll always find OLED TVs to be superior to these options, so best to stop comparing and enjoy the viewing.

podknocker

I think the 4k dot pitch is 'spot on' at 48", in most normal sized rooms at the right viewing distance etc. When you have this resolution over a very large panel, say 55 or 65 inches, you need to be sat further away, due to the pixels being larger and/or there is more space between them. I don't own a TV, but the last time I saw a 48" Sony OLED, it did look marvellous from about 8 feet away. Many people buy huge TVs and sit about 4ft away and will not get the best experience.

Last edited:

daveh75

I think the 4k dot pitch is 'spot on' at 48", in most normal sized rooms at the right viewing distance etc. When you have this resolution over a very large panel, say 55 or 65 inches, you need to be sat further away, due to the pixels being larger and/or there is more space between them. I don't own a TV, but the last time I saw a 48" Sony OLED, it did look marvellous from about 8 feet away. Many people buy huge TVs and sit about 4ft away and will not get the best experience.

Nope. The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels.

48" at 8ft away is about optimum for HD viewing, for 4K/UHD you'd need to sit closer, or go bigger for the best experience.

Attachments

• optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png
    optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 9

podknocker

Nope. The higher the resolution the smaller the pixels.

48" at 8ft away is about optimum for HD viewing, for 4K/UHD you'd need to sit closer, or go bigger for the best experience.
Er, yes. That's what I said, but they will be larger pixels, or more empty space between them, the larger the screen area. If you put the 4k pixels from a 48" panel onto a 100" panel, they will need to be larger pixels to fit across more panel, or there will be more of the gaps between them. I do know what dot pitch refers to. I made the mistake of unignoring you.

Last edited:
Er, yes. That's what I said, but they will be larger pixels, or more empty space between them, the larger the screen area. If you put the 4k pixels from a 48" panel onto a 100" panel, they will need to be larger pixels to fit across more panel, or there will be more of the gaps between them. I do know what dot pitch refers to. I made the mistake of unignoring you.
Well, I am sat 8 feet away from my 75-inch TV. This is the perfect size for me for the distance. For 48 inches, I'll need to sit a lot closer. I don't see any "gaps" between pixels. The picture is nice and sharp and motion is perfect.

podknocker

I don't doubt your screen is excellent, but the same number of pixels, over a smaller panel, will have more information, per square wotnot. They refer to it as DPI on phones. Same thing really. It will be sharper, but as I said, there is an optimal distance for all size screens and some people do have their preferred viewing distance. I have viewed the same content on a 48" Sony OLED and a 65" Panny, I think and I much preferred the Sony at about 8ft away. At 54 I possibly appreciated it less than I would have 30 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts