Replacement for Onkyo 875

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
My Onkyo 875 is slowly dying and I am in the market for a replacement. Currently on the list are Yamaha RXA-1060, RXA 3060 and Denon AVR-X3300 which all seem to be available at a good discount. I will try to audition, but would welcome comments on these (and any other in the ball park price range). If any of these fully support 2 HDMI outputs , one to a TV and one to a projector, that would be handy

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
How many channels are you looking for?

Atmos pretty much comes by default, but you'll be better off pushung the boat out a bit and going for a 9 or even 11 channel decoding receiver if you are considering Atmos now or in the future.

Marantz 7010 decodes 11 channels but only has power amps for 9, you need an external ower amp for the last two (rear Atmos by default) or you can hook up the front left and front right RCA outputs to a "proper stereo" amp and speakers instead.

Its successor the 7011 has eleven power amps I believe.

The 6010 decodes 9 but only has seven power amps. Again you need a separate amp or a "proper stereo" to take advantage of the last two. Its successor, the 6011 (already being heavily discounted in the US) decodes 11 and has power amps for 9. So again you need a separate amp or a. "proper stereo" to take advantage of the last two. I am hearing some issues about the 6011s not working properly straight out of the box, however.

The new 6012 also has 11 channels decoded, 9 internal power amps.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ Denon and Marantz come from the same stable. Denons assembled by robots in Japan, Marantz by robots in China or Vietnam or somewhere. Main differences are cosmetic.

But yes, that Denon would be a very good choice.

It all depends on how many channels the OP wants now and for the future.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
^ Denon and Marantz come from the same stable. Denons assembled by robots in Japan, Marantz by robots in China or Vietnam or somewhere. Main differences are cosmetic.

But yes, that Denon would be a very good choice.

It all depends on how many channels the OP wants now and for the future.
Got 11 on that Denon.

D

Deleted member 2457

macdiddy said:
only trouble is I still don't have £1150 to spend, unless my numbers come up this week. *nea*
I still got my trusty Pioneer.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Have ordered a marantz 7011 which arrives Saturday as it was reduced to 899 and the reviews were very good. Will report back.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
hammill said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Have ordered a marantz 7011 which arrives Saturday as it was reduced to 899 and the reviews were very good. Will report back.

You won't regret it, I'm sure. I bought the 7010, which, like when I bought my Ducati 916 back in 1997, dropped 30% almost immediately afterwards. Grrr...

If / when you want to go to 11 channels, add a modest 2-channel power amp to drive the rear Atmos speakers or connect the front channel RCA outputs to your "proper stereo" amplifier and use your hifi fronts as the AV fronts. The 9 internal amps can then drive the other 5 surround channels plus the four Atmos overheads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts