Remember when..........

fog567

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Today I went down to Richer sounds and for less than £150 picked up a rather nice 22 inch samsung tv and DVD player(remember them) for my 10 year olds bedroom or as i like to call it the disney dvd wharehouse.now my point being my first widescreen tv (crt) cost well over £1000 and a pioneer dvd player over £350,hooked it all up and I cant remember my old set up ;ooking this good.Everybody must have stories on how much they paid for stuff in the early days of AV and now even the budget stuff is pretty good for the price you pay.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow how far back do you want to go.....

Early 1990 my grandfather took me into Currys or Dixons, I forget which now and Purchased my first ever Hifi Pioneer system, The Tape deck, Equiliser and CD deck where all in one and the LP deck was separate. The speakers were 350W in power as I vaguely recall.

I loved that system! Cost £450 back then.

I fell in love with Hifi back then and I remember the incredible feeling of looking at system separates in Currys and dreaming of one day owning them.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree. As a young man in 1992/93 I purchased a new Philips 28" NICAM Stereo flatscreen TV for my bedroom (stll living with the rents). NICAM Stereo flatscreen TVs were cutting-edge technology back then. I mean it even had two SCART sockets and S-Video. Seem to recall it cost me about £600 or maybe more. The Akai HiFi Stereo editing VCR I bought the year after was knocking-on-the-door of the same price as well, it had manual record levels, frame-by-frame cueing and editing, and a built-in NICAM Teletext receiver.

These days we've never had so much for so little.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
In 1997/8 i bought a 21" panasonic tv with nicam stereo and teletext for about £300, then ten years later i bought a 46" panasonic plasma tv for £1200-£1300 which i still have & is in my signiture i also got a deal with the tv rack when i bought the tv. :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Remember paying £1,100 for a 32" Sony Wega CRT back in the 90's - was a great TV in its day but doesn't come anywhere close to what you could get nowadays for the same money

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I remember when my dad got a state of the art vhs...it was the latest one out,smaller than previous units and came with this new fangled remote control...on a wire :O

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
I remember when my dad got a state of the art vhs...it was the latest one out,smaller than previous units and came with this new fangled remote control...on a wire :O

at least he chose VHS - my uncle went for Betamax! (HD-DVD anyone??)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Looking at it from the other perspective...

You still have to pay a lot for quality-built gear which is largely hand-made. For example, back in the day, even a Linn Sondek was achievable if you had a half-decent job and you saved-up for a bit, but to buy it now it's 'home-improvement loan' money. It's robotic production lines and cheap labour in China that have brought down the price if mass-market electronics. Same with cars too.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
mr malarky said:
GSB said:

It was to replace the betamax...a ferguson i think...was bigger than my avr...we had to sit on the ejector just to close it! :shifty:

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
mr malarky said:
GSB said:

My now father-in-law deceased (is that how you type it?) went for betamax on all his friends advice.... goes to show you eh ?

We used to go along to the local shop (the better one) to hire tapes at that time..... many a title on the VHS were not available on betamax... most annoying back then ... lolz

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
mr malarky said:
GSB said:

It was to replace the betamax...a ferguson i think...was bigger than my avr...we had to sit on the ejector just to close it! :shifty:

ah, the old "top loaders", built like tanks and just as noisy!

:grin:

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
mr malarky said:
GSB said:

My now father-in-law deceased (is that how you type it?) went for betamax on all his friends advice.... goes to show you eh ?

We used to go along to the local shop (the better one) to hire tapes at that time..... many a title on the VHS were not available on betamax... most annoying back then ... lolz

Give it another few years and there'll be a thread on here reminiscing about those strange shops in the town that you used to be able to rent films from...

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Alantiggger said:
mr malarky said:
GSB said:

Lolz, very good :rofl: (hope not though ((hehe)) )

Give it another few years and there'll be a thread on here reminiscing about those strange shops in the town that you used to be able to rent films from...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
mr malarky said:

Give it another few years and there'll be a thread on here reminiscing about those strange shops in the town that you used to be able to buy HiFi from... :cry:

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
mr malarky said:

Give it another few years and there'll be a thread on here reminiscing about those strange shops in the town that you used to be able to buy HiFi from... :cry:

NOOOoooooooo !

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Retailers are starting to smarten up to the Internet. Now they price match online, something they never did a few years back.

Now, you lot mentioned a strange word.....shops? :?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
mr malarky said:

Yep, good point! Have gone full circle lately, used to by everything off the Internet but in recent years have made a point of buying from a high street dealer, if only to try and make sure there's still one there when I want to demo something

fog567

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the loss of video shops in the high st and growth of down loads will drive down the costs of hard copy bd discs thats if there are any shops left to buy them from!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure they're overly expensive even now. Has everyone else forgotten how twenty years ago top-rated VHS films were about fifteen pound each? But folks moan these days that you can't get just-released blockbuster blu-rays three-for-a-tenner.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Not sure they're overly expensive even now. Has everyone else forgotten how twenty years ago top-rated VHS films were about fifteen pound each? But folks moan these days that you can't get just-released blockbuster blu-rays three-for-a-tenner.

I used to go into HMV and buy 3 VHS for a tenner, just before the format became redundant. Then made exactly the same mistake with DVD's (and still have whole shelves of "3 for a tenner" DVD's that I'll never watch). If I start seeing BluRay discs being sold 3 for a tenner I'll know its time to chuck the BluRay player in the bin!!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
mr malarky said:
MajorFubar said:

I used to go into HMV and buy 3 VHS for a tenner, just before the format became redundant. Then made exactly the same mistake with DVD's (and still have whole shelves of "3 for a tenner" DVD's that I'll never watch). If I start seeing BluRay discs being sold 3 for a tenner I'll know its time to chuck the BluRay player in the bin!!

I thought the same with my DVD's until recently when I watched them on the 751BD the upscaling is so good that its like watching a bluray film, well not exactly as clear but damn good.

Put them on your will be surprised :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
mr malarky said:
I used to go into HMV and buy 3 VHS for a tenner, just before the format became redundant.

Haha! I did the same. Most of them are now sat in bin-bag in the loft, waiting to be 'taken to the charity shop' by SWMBO, who seems to genuinely believe a charity shop will hail her as the new Messiah for walking in with a bin-bag full of old films on VHS tape. First time I think I can get away with it without her noticing, they'll get donated to that 'charity shop' in my front garden, the one with wheels on the bottom that I put outside the gate every Tuesday morning.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
duaplex said:
mr malarky said:
MajorFubar said:

I thought the same with my DVD's until recently when I watched them on the 751BD the upscaling is so good that its like watching a bluray film, well not exactly as clear but damn good.

Put them on your will be surprised :)

You're on. I've got a couple of "SuperBit" DVD's in there somewhere (yet another format that went down the toilet), be interesting to see how they look.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I bought a Toshiba 37" CRT tv, with Dolby Digital Surround, for £2500, back in 2000. It was a monster and weighed 100KGS! Getting it up a flight of stairs was an absolute nightmare!

EDIT: Just found a vid of the TV on YOUTUBE, HERE. It looks so small now! Also, one of the people commenting on the vid just bought the tv, second hand for £12! £12 bloody quid! Now thats depreciation!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts