Remember when..........

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Loads of people buy them until this day. A CRT is perfect for VHS, retro gaming, non widesceen movies you own on DVD, Laserdisc etc. My neighbours still own a CRT for main television viewing. ;)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
mr malarky said:
duaplex said:
mr malarky said:
MajorFubar said:
Not sure they're overly expensive even now. Has everyone else forgotten how twenty years ago top-rated VHS films were about fifteen pound each? But folks moan these days that you can't get just-released blockbuster blu-rays three-for-a-tenner.

I eagerly await :)

I used to go into HMV and buy 3 VHS for a tenner, just before the format became redundant. Then made exactly the same mistake with DVD's (and still have whole shelves of "3 for a tenner" DVD's that I'll never watch). If I start seeing BluRay discs being sold 3 for a tenner I'll know its time to chuck the BluRay player in the bin!!

I thought the same with my DVD's until recently when I watched them on the 751BD the upscaling is so good that its like watching a bluray film, well not exactly as clear but damn good.

Put them on your will be surprised :)

You're on. I've got a couple of "SuperBit" DVD's in there somewhere (yet another format that went down the toilet), be interesting to see how they look.

I eagerly await :)

fog567

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
talk about depreciation.I bought a sony wega 32 inch widescreen for £1900 in 1999 and I had to pay a bloke £20 to take the the thing away when I upgraded

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
lolz.... I recon we were ALL duped into paying vast amounts of money before for what is now considered old hat .... unless you live in one of the back-beat countries with many an old crt TV ... not naming em as the feedback may not be worth the hastle :)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
There was a time when there were places on the high street called Radio Rentals - because most people couldn't actually afford to buy a TV or a VCR - and certainly not both. It was perfectly normal to rent. If I remember correctly, 2 - 3 years rental was about the same as the purchase price.

mrpepperman

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
We could not afford a VHS we rented it from Radio Rentals., does anyone remember Philips 2000 that was even more of a flop than betamax.

As for Hi Fi in the late '70's I started of with a Bush music centre, then saved up bought a sony turntable, a sansui cassette deck, a Nad amp mission 700 speakers, then Ion Obelisk xpak with a Linn Sondeck ( a second hand one from '78) then I got married the ions are in the attic and I am waiting to upgrade my Denon 2901 and Kefs.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
mrpepperman said:
We could not afford a VHS we rented it from Radio Rentals., does anyone remember Philips 2000 that was even more of a flop than betamax.

As for Hi Fi in the late '70's I started of with a Bush music centre, then saved up bought a sony turntable, a sansui cassette deck, a Nad amp mission 700 speakers, then Ion Obelisk xpak with a Linn Sondeck ( a second hand one from '78) then I got married the ions are in the attic and I am waiting to upgrade my Denon 2901 and Kefs.

Remember it?! I had one. Fab machine, only one at the time that could do 'go to'. Reversible tapes, built like a brick outhouse. Like Betamax, it was technically superior to VHS but lost the war

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts