Rega vs Pro-ject

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for some clarification.

I've read some negative reviews regarding the build quality of Rega Turntables.
I'm no expert but find it difficult to fathom considering the reputation of the P3 particularly.

How good are Pro-ject turntables?
Have they really advancedfand surpassed Rega in Sound & Build Quality.

I'm deciding between Rega P3 24 & Pro-ject Xpression III.

Any views or other ecommendations please, need to decide soon

p.s. I dream of the day when my choice is between Linn LP12 & Roksan Xerxes

A

Anonymous

ssvirk

I don't think you'll ever get the definitive answers you want, the P3 and xpression are both fantastic tables. I'm thinking about making a lateral move from my xpression to an rpm 5, but that's mostly a style choice.

You should focus more on price and personal preference (like which one is prettier to you, which one you think sounds better) at this point, imo.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I guess you're right Ray.

Just wanted clarification on Build quality.

Can get the Xpression for £289 from Cool Gales with a 2M Red

Looks pretty enough and can't see how the basic (bias) Rega P3 24 can be that much better than the 2M Red Xpression.

Nobody has commented on the upgrade path of the Pro-Ject which concerns me somewhat.

I want my TT to grow, I know the Rega can, but can the Xpression.

If I win the Lottery next week I'll have both in my shop - problem solved.

A

Anonymous

Well I know you can install Rega tonearms onto the pro-jects. I believe the tri-planars can fit, pro-ject makes a couple cuties as well, they make various replacement platters but I think the acrylic is pretty gear. As for build quality, it's very good. Made in Austria, I've heard that Music Hall tt's are manufactured in the ProJect facilities but that's hearsay. And there are tutorials on building ye old home-made plinth.

A

Anonymous

Well that clears things up then - not.

It appears they are both built well and will last & last, good to hear, But:

Can somebody please clarify if the Pro-Ject can be upgraded and can grow with me over the years as I understand you can with the Rega.
I'm thinking it probably can't as nobody has said it can the few places I've asked.

Can I add an external PSU to the Pro-ject?

Which is the better Tonearm?

Is the basic Rega, i.e. with basic Bias(?) cartridge on a par or better or worse than the Pro-ject with the 2M Red.

I'm not too concerned with the aesthetics, after all I'm going to LISTEN to the SOUND that it produces, rather than just LOOK at it.

Now, if they are on a par audibly, then obviously the pretty one would sway it.

I'm off to demo both this week as found a shop that stocks both.

Will be a interesting to see what a stockist who has both has to say.

nads

[quote user="ssvirk"]External PSU - External Power Supply Unit[/quote] thought so. Project do not state internal or External PSU's but i mine is external. and it is not specified on their webby.

A

Anonymous

Hey Nads,

If you are referring to your Pro-ject Xperience

I would expect as much considering it is double the price of the Pro-ject Xpression 3 I'm considering.

That's rather odd they do not specify whether it comes with an external PSU if it does.

Obviously wouldn't expect them to specify an internal one, but not specifying the external has me questioning how good it (the PSU) really is.

nads

Look at it this way. have one motor for each level of the range (or for the whole range) and have different PSU for each plug design/Voltage... Ok as to if the one you are looking at etc has a seperate PSU i can not answer, maybe the Manual has a packing/picking list?

A

Anonymous

OK, you're confusing me now or yourself ??

Isn't the one you are referring to the PSU or plug that comes with the Xpression.

I'm thinking of a PSU upgrade like the TT-PSU that the new Rega P3 24 is compatible with, last Rega P3 2000 could not have it attached. previously only an option with more expensive P5 & comes supplied with P7

John Duncan

Both Pro-ject Speedboxes (the Speedbox ad the Speedbox SE) are power supplies, yes. Both are more accurate, quartz-controlled upgrades to the one supplied in the box, and offer better stability as well as push-button speed change. About to get the cheap one, can't afford the SE.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ray/John,

Can the speed box be fitted to an Xpression III?

Found this on Hi-Fi Gear - "* The Pro-Ject Debut III E, Debut III/Phono SB, Xpression II Comfort, Xperience Comfort and RPM 6.1 SB can not be used with the Speed Box SE"

& What kind of money are we looking for one of these speedboxes? Found ~£75

Had a quick look online and these APPEAR to only control the speed change

There's no mention of improved power supply to significantly improve the sound?

Also just rang a shop and they clarified this too, ONLY a speed changer.

Looks like I'm leaning to the Rega

What say you?

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]Thanks Ray/John,

Can the speed box be fitted to an Xpression III?

& What kind of money are we looking for one of these speedboxes?[/quote]

Off the top of my head it can be fitted to practically everything except the 78 versions - the website refers, I will check it out. The lower end speed box is about 75, the SE about 300, from memory. (Edit - yes it can).

You asked if it can grow with you and I say absolutely yes - for starters there are the two speed boxes, the arm is good enough to take quite exotic cartridges, you can upgrade the phono cable since it has normal phono jacks as opposed to a captive wire on the rega. So pound for pound, I'd go for the Pro-ject over the Rega. I still say the RPM5 is funkier though
emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]Found this on Hi-Fi Gear - "* The Pro-Ject Debut III E, Debut III/Phono SB, Xpression II Comfort, Xperience Comfort and RPM 6.1 SB can not be used with the Speed Box SE"[/quote]

That's because they are all models with speed boxes built in, so have no need of one. The normal xpression 3 you're talking about does not.

[quote user="ssvirk"]Had a quick look online and these APPEAR to only control the speed change

There's no mention of improved power supply to significantly improve the sound?

Also just rang a shop and they clarified this too, ONLY a speed changer.

Looks like I'm leaning to the Rega

What say you?[/quote]

To my mind, the biggest thing you can do for a turntable (apart from a cartridge upgrade) is to control its speed properly, so the quartz regulation of the speed box by definition improves the sound - and if you look at the rega website, that's exactly what the Rega TT PSU does (for twice the price). But don't take my word for it, read this review of the RPM5 plus speedbox, which comments specifically on the sonic benefits of the latter (albeit an older version).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts