Rega vs Pro-ject

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks John,

Great review.

"I didn't have a P3 on hand for direct comparison so at the $700 range sans cartridge, I'd check out both the RPM 5 and P3. One just might tickle your audio jones more than the other. However, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the RPM 5 came out on top."

Pity he didn't do a comparison.

Any ideas for covers ???

John Duncan

I haven't done side-by-side, but I've auditioned both and own a Pro-Ject RPM5.2. To me it's a bit more natural, whereas I thought the Rega (sans PSU, admittedly) was a bit coloured or distorted - though some might call that 'musical'. That can be good in the right context of course (rock, for example).

To be honest though, I think they're very, very close, and it was the Pro-Ject's looks (sorry) and size (essential to me as it was fitting on a shallow shelf) which swayed me, along with what I perceive to be better value in Pro-Jects generally. Note that obviously I'm talking about a marginally more expensive Pro-Ject deck than you are, but I suspect they're the same sonically and you're paying more for the design on the RPM5.

John Duncan

Sorry, didn't cover covers.

I leave mine nekkid (so to speak), but Michell do their Unicover which covers the platter and arm and is (relatively) affordable, and there are various other aftermarket ones available. Shame Pro-Ject don't still supply the jelly mould one that came with the RPM4 (or maybe they do if you ask) - the one they currently have in their catalogue is outrageously expensive............

Edit - google "red display", and check out their eBay shop - "plastic online"............

A

Anonymous

Apparently the Rega P3 24 is £398, so would come to £455 with something like an 2m Red

Where I saw it for £349 online said it had been priced incorrectly - HifiX / Frank Harvey

They also said they do not have in-store stock of Pro-jects. No Demo now then either !

& it doesn't come with a basic cartridge as I thought.

& the Phono leads are not replaceable like the Pro-jects

But to upgrade a Pro-ject, another shop told me the option would be to buy a new turntable.

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]i refer the right honourable gentleman etc etc...........[/quote]

???

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]i refer the right honourable gentleman etc etc...........[/quote]

???[/quote]

I meant the 'cover' question - I replied but our posts crossed each other.

As for upgrades, i think the dealer's quote is disingenuous - in order of efficacy a) you could buy a rather good cartridge (by that I mean 300 quid and up) and it not be a waste on the xpression or RPM ranges b) the speed boxes have been discussed (though I would add that the RPM5 has very good pitch stability to my ears) c) your point about phono leads is valid, though the out-of-the-box one isn't that bad to be honest, and would be the last thing I'd bother with

All of this assumes a top-notch support, by the way, and has so far ignored the plerthora of phono stages available.............

A

Anonymous

Sorry John, still don't understand the cover quote :[quote user="JohnDuncan"]i refer the right honourable gentleman etc etc...........[[/quote]

I'm leaning to the Pro-Ject Xpression III. £280 with decent cartridge, that sounded great with my PM6002.

RPM5 looks nice agreed, but comes with the same 2M Red & the Lid is an issue for me.

Rega P3 24 = £398 + £55 for 2M Red or £500 with Elys 2.

I'm now thinking from the perspective of what makes up my current system:

Marantz PM6002 - £279 rrp (even though cost £200 from Richer Sounds)

Marantz CD6002 - £279 rrp (even though cost £200 from Richer Sounds)

B & W 601 S3 - Discontinued £250 rrp (cost £190 ex-display)

Pro-Ject Xpression III - £280 (from Audio Affair)

Rack - Atacama Equinox - £125 (from Audio Affair)

Stands - Atacama SE6 - £90 (from Audio Affair) - ( SE6 or Nexus 6???)

Speaker Cable & Interconnect - ~ £20 & £40 respectively

Total £1145, which is a little over my original £1000 budget.

Think that will do me for a year or so.

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]Sorry John, still don't understand the cover quote :[quote user="JohnDuncan"]i refer the right honourable gentleman etc etc...........[/quote][/quote]

It's a reference to Parliamentary process where a standard response to questions which have been answered previously is "I refer the right honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago". Will follow up on your suggested system in a sec......

John Duncan

[quote user="ssvirk"]
I'm leaning to the Pro-Ject Xpression III. £280 with decent cartridge, that sounded great with my PM6002.

RPM5 looks nice agreed, but comes with the same 2M Red & the Lid is an issue for me.

Rega P3 24 = £398 + £55 for 2M Red or £500 with Elys 2.

I'm now thinking from the perspective of what makes up my current system:

Marantz PM6002 - £279 rrp (even though cost £200 from Richer Sounds)

Marantz CD6002 - £279 rrp (even though cost £200 from Richer Sounds)

B & W 601 S3 - Discontinued £250 rrp (cost £190 ex-display)

Pro-Ject Xpression III - £280 (from Audio Affair)

Rack - Atacama Equinox - £125 (from Audio Affair)

Stands - Atacama SE6 - £90 (from Audio Affair) - ( SE6 or Nexus 6???)

Speaker Cable & Interconnect - ~ £20 & £40 respectively

Total £1145, which is a little over my original £1000 budget.

Think that will do me for a year or so.[/quote]

OK, have coffee now. I think the Expression's a great deal, and I shall shut up about the lid now
emotion-2.gif

Find out if Pro-Ject are still doing deals on cartridge upgrades as well, because since Henley import Ortofon as well they used to do very good packages. A 2M Blue would be even better. But if you;re really tight on budget, I'd forego that and get a Knosti Disco Antistat, which I think is essential kit. I'd rather have the Expression with one of those than a grand's worth of turntable without.

As for the rest, looks like a great system, and if you like the sound of it then it is. If you need to squeeze every penny out of your budget, look up Thaiman's favourite Gotham cables on eBay, which are excellent quality and dirt cheap. The Atacama rack is a must though with a TT............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts