Which Pro-ject Debut would be most valuable? Edwards Audio Apprentice MK2 enters game.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Which Pro-ject would be best value?Hello to everybody! I'm new on the forum and I hope you could Help me.

I have to decide between two Pro-ject turntables:

- a Debut III with its aluminium tonearm, 2M Red cartridge and acrylic plate, AC typ selec3 motor. Shiny piano black finish.
- a Debut Carbon AC with its carbon tonearm, OM10 cartridge, stock plate. Only in yellow and blue (hey, I don't dislike the yellow one!)

The Debut III is slighty more expensive than the Carbon, I can afford it. Both are quite inexpensive.

Which one would you go for? Thank you all!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
Which Pro-ject would be best value? Hello to everybody! I'm new on the forum and I hope you could Help me.

- a Debut III with its aluminium tonearm, 2M Red cartridge and acrylic plate, AC typ selec3 motor. Shiny piano black finish.- a Debut Carbon AC with its carbon tonearm, OM10 cartridge, stock plate. Only in yellow and blue (hey, I don't dislike the yellow one!)

The Debut III is slighty more expensive than the Carbon, I can afford it. Both are quite inexpensive.

Probably the Carbon and upgrade the platter. Or ask them how much would a Carbon arm be on the Debut III.

Canguino Purlat said:
Which Pro-ject would be best value? Hello to everybody! I'm new on the forum and I hope you could Help me.

- a Debut III with its aluminium tonearm, 2M Red cartridge and acrylic plate, AC typ selec3 motor. Shiny piano black finish.- a Debut Carbon AC with its carbon tonearm, OM10 cartridge, stock plate. Only in yellow and blue (hey, I don't dislike the yellow one!)

Welcome to the forum. If it were my money I would be looking at buying the Carbon and spending a bit more on upgrading that cartridge. However, that's my personal feeling.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
So, from what I understand, the carbon tonearm is what makes a difference in quality and sound?

It is one thing that will be a benefit. Acrylic platter should also be a benefit. Its to do will reducing vibration. Also siting well the TT will be a benefit. I would get the Carbon then upgrade the platter and cartridge when funds allow.

It's a bit strange that the om10 is still being supplied with a turntable,it's a bit old,but hey if you get either ditch them carts asap and if staying on the ortofon path at least a 2m blue but nagaoka and audiotechnica among others have some fine carts in the same price range.Believe the hype a good cart makes a heck of a difference to those budget offerings.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
How does the OM10 compare to the 2M Red? I've read different opinions: some think the 2M is an upgrade from OM10, others say there's not much difference and the 2M is too bright sounding... But they are opinions, of course. So if the cartridge is what sets the most important difference, is the 2M a lot better than the OM10?

And thank you for your responses.

Forget about the cartridge that's on either.both aren't very good,you won't realise the turntables potential until you get a decent one.Get the better turntable of the two which is probably the carbon and put the cart on flee bay to help fund a new one . that's what I'd do and have done.

Canguino Purlat said:
How does the OM10 compare to the 2M Red? I've read different opinions: some think the 2M is an upgrade from OM10, others say there's not much difference and the 2M is too bright sounding... But they are opinions, of course. So if the cartridge is what sets the most important difference, is the 2M a lot better than the OM10?

My thoughts again, and it is no secret that I don't like the 2M Red, is that there will be little in it. If you have the money I would upgrade either of these pretty rapidly.

Is there any chance you can get the turntable without a cartridge fitted and save more money that way?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:

I don't think there is a great deal of difference, some people find OM too bright, so its something for you to judge, many are happy with them. You may be able to find some comparisions on youtube which may help you.

BigH said:
Canguino Purlat said:

I don't think there is a great deal of difference, some people find OM too bright, so its something for you to judge, many are happy with them. You may be able to find some comparisions on youtube which may help you.

The only well to tell for sure is to listen for yourself. Can you audition either or both?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
That's the problem: both a online offers, so... There's a store in town with both Carbons: 2M and OM10. Maybe I'll go and test them!

There's nothing wrong with the 2m red, I swapped out the OM on my debut II for a 2m red and it was a huge improvement.

The_Lhc said:
Canguino Purlat said:
That's the problem: both a online offers, so... There's a store in town with both Carbons: 2M and OM10. Maybe I'll go and test them!

There's nothing wrong with the 2m red, I swapped out the OM on my debut II for a 2m red and it was a huge improvement.

Yes it would. Not saying there is anything wrong with it per se, just that I don't like the sound it produces and it could, in my opinion, be bettered for the money. However if its coming pre fitted you don't have the option.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Is it the 2M Blue a better cart? I've found a dealer who has the Carbon without cart, he sells Ortofons too and can fit any cart I want. Good prices too! Maybe I'm lucky...

Canguino Purlat said:
Is it the 2M Blue a better cart? I've found a dealer who has the Carbon without cart, he sells Ortofons too and can fit any cart I want. Good prices too! Maybe I'm lucky...

The Blue is better than the Red. However I wouldn't fit either given the choice. Does the dealer only stock Ortofon cartridges?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:

Yes its better, should be its about double the price, but as Alears says there maybe ones better for you, its a question of taste, some want high detail, others want a smoother, warmer sound. If you have a dealer nearby go and see him, have some demos and seek his advise, some cartridges are better with that arm and TT than others, a good dealer will know what works best. I think the Carbon without a cartridge is your best bet, unless you really like the OM 2M Red. My advise is get the best you can aford then you should not need to upgrade for a while.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Well, I can purchase the turntable without cart and look for something good ( the dealer only sells ortos). Which cart could be good and not too expensive for the Carbon? My taste goes somewhere between detail and warmth, something that can bring a good bit of both.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
Well, I can purchase the turntable without cart and look for something good ( the dealer only sells ortos). Which cart could be good and not too expensive for the Carbon? My taste goes somewhere between detail and warmth, something that can bring a good bit of both.

How much can you spend?

Whats the rest of your system?

I've had the blue and it's in a different league to the om 10 and a little bit better than the red.It is nicely detailed and not bright at all.....within my system anyway.Also the blue mates well with the project arms.But as others have said maybe something from nagaoka or audiotechnica might be just as good for slightly less money.the problem is trying to hear the cartridges themselves.Dealers don't want to use them for demo purposes.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
I've had the blue and it's in a different league to the om 10 and a little bit better than the red.It is nicely detailed and not bright at all.....within my system anyway.Also the blue mates well with the project arms.But as others have said maybe something from nagaoka or audiotechnica might be just as good for slightly less money.the problem is trying to hear the cartridges themselves.Dealers don't want to use them for demo purposes.

No, you're right. They don't like breaking open a box just for you to audition, unfortunately. You can usually only hear whatever they have fitted to demo decks and these tend to be the usual culprits on most turntables sold these days.

Might I suggest, if the dealer agrees to fit it if necessary, he looks at something a bit cheaper than the Blue and a better all rounder, this being the Audio Technica AT440mlb

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts