Which Pro-ject Debut would be most valuable? Edwards Audio Apprentice MK2 enters game.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
How does the AT95 compare to the Ortofons (OM10 or 2M Red)?

I guess it's all down to your ears and how you like the presentation of music really. Both of the Ortofon carts are, in my opinion and with my ears, rather bright and forward and I have used both of them....and replaced them with the AT95e. It's not perfect, it's a budget cartridge, but it's far more tonally-balanced, with a decent meaty presentation and, most importantly, it's listenable: the music sounds as it should and listener-fatigue is not an issue. Not as good as a Nagaoka, or some of the Denon carts, biut perfectly acceptable until you decide you need a change or fancy a different presentation. It's invariably listed in 'best budget carts surveys. I've used AT5e's as stop-gaps on more expensive turntables and they sound terrific.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:

The AT95 is a budget cartridge, its about £25 in UK, for the money its quite good but the OM are quite a bit better. If the AT95 comes with the TT I would keep it as a spare, then upgrade to something better. I would get the TT make sure everything is alright then when you are happy get a better cartridge. Think I posted this before, ok its only a youtube video but it should give some idea of the differences: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzp1rOLL0s

For me the 95E is one of the worst sounding of those. The best for me are OM, JVC, Shure and the AT 120 not in any order.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
20p :)

I think you're right.  Live with it as is, hand it on to one of the "Millenials" so that he might actually play those vinyl things, save up the beer money for something newer / better.  Will probably wait and see how the new Technics turns out compared to similar priced offerings from Pro-Ject, Rega, etc.  This one was just a toe in the water to see if I still liked vinyl.

Are we to assume then that you do?  ;-)
Yes. But only for the nostalgia. And exercise. :)
Sound-wise [believers should skip the rest of this message] CDs knocked vinyl off its perch 35 years ago.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Al ears said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
20p :)

I think you're right. Live with it as is, hand it on to one of the "Millenials" so that he might actually play those vinyl things, save up the beer money for something newer / better. Will probably wait and see how the new Technics turns out compared to similar priced offerings from Pro-Ject, Rega, etc. This one was just a toe in the water to see if I still liked vinyl.

Are we to assume then that you do? ;-)
Yes. But only for the nostalgia. And exercise. :) Sound-wise [believers should skip the rest of this message] CDs knocked vinyl off its perch 35 years ago.

Probably yes. But I still have LPs not reissued on CD or any other digital format, so... And still love the ceremony of listening to vinyl. It's like the japanese tea ceremony, like a liturgy. And deciding betwen a Debut Carbon, a Music Hall mmf 2.2 or a Edwards Audio Apprentice mk2 is more fun than downloading files, hehehe

Jim_W said:
Canguino Purlat said:

I guess it's all down to your ears and how you like the presentation of music really. Both of the Ortofon carts are, in my opinion and with my ears, rather bright and forward and I have used both of them....and replaced them with the AT95e. It's not perfect, it's a budget cartridge, but it's far more tonally-balanced, with a decent meaty presentation and, most importantly, it's listenable: the music sounds as it should and listener-fatigue is not an issue. Not as good as a Nagaoka, or some of the Denon carts, biut perfectly acceptable until you decide you need a change or fancy a different presentation. It's invariably listed in 'best budget carts surveys. I've used AT5e's as stop-gaps on more expensive turntables and they sound terrific.

+1 I must have similar ears to Jim_W.

Although I acknowledge that the Ortofon is technically better, and more expensive, cartridge it sounds way to bright and 'toppy' in my system.

If you can, to get the best of both worlds, I would try to get the Edwards Audio without a cartridge then get a Shure M97Xe fitted.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Jim_W said:
Canguino Purlat said:

+1 I must have similar ears to Jim_W.

Although I acknowledge that the Ortofon is technically better, and more expensive, cartridge it sounds way to bright and 'toppy' in my system.

If you can, to get the best of both worlds, I would try to get the Edwards Audio without a cartridge then get a Shure M97Xe fitted.

Yep, the Shure M97Xe is a good-sounding cartridge and pretty good with used records too...it's fairly forgiving.

TRENDING THREADS