Rega Venus R

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
http://www.rega.co.uk/venus-r-cdp.html

they should have DAC outputs on this then bring it to the UK market - reckon they would sell loads!

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Rega should sell the Venus-R everywhere in the world. A person who buys a new Elex-R amplifier may not want to spend almost twice as much for a matching width Saturn-R CD player. They may also not want the half width Apollo-R. So this Venus-R makes a lot of sense.

While we are on the subject of non Rega products people may want, why don't they make a Tuner anymore? Are they ever going to make a digital streamer?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Are they ever going to make a digital streamer?

I've raise that same question here once... Oooh, boy that would be a winner!

But for now they will upgrade the existing DAC, and with two of my wishes...

Assync USB and a remote...!*man_in_love**dance4*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
While we are on the subject of non Rega products people may want, why don't they make a Tuner anymore?

I had a Rega Radio (tuner) and the original Rega Brio amp (both 'clamshell' designs) for 11 years between 1996 and 2007. They were excellent.

Before that I had the QED A240SA Mk2 amplifier and matching QED T260 tuner for a few years.

Seems I was a sucker for amps with matching tuners. (Naim Nait 5i + NAT05 too a few years back.)

Anyway, no more separate FM tuners from most (especially British) manufacturers because of DAB and internet radio. Probably because no-one quite knows when/if the Government will eventually follow up on it's intention to shut down FM broadcasting.

I still am enjoying a bit of BBC FM radio on my system everyday in amongst BBC iPlayer radio and BBC internet radio streamed via AirPlay. (A little bit of both worlds.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hope they don't. The market is already saturated with Rega components. Why would they make a model for the Chinese market only?

Because their Chinese distributor asked them to. (And China is a vast market, so if that's what they want ...)

Even if just one Chinese person out of every million buys one then that's 1357 units sold.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Hope they don't. The market is already saturated with Rega components. Why would they make a model for the Chinese market only?

Because their Chinese distributor asked them to. (And China is a vast market, so if that's what they want ...)

Even if just one Chinese person out of every million buys one then that's 1357 units sold.

China alone represents the sales of a whole continent...

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Totally get that. The point is why is the Venus limited to just China, if it's any good?

Do they produce, for instance, models specifically for the US or Asian sub-continent?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Totally get that. The point is why is the Venus limited to just China, if it's any good?

Do they produce, for instance, models specifically for the US or Asian sub-continent?

The Venus R is the Apollo in the Saturn case basically.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
"This is a unique player built into Rega's custom full width case exclusively requested by the Chinese market. The Venus-R is a full width version of the hugely successful Apollo-R CD player making it the perfect partner for the latest Elex-R amplifier."

from Rega web page.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
"This is a unique player built into Rega's custom full width case exclusively requested by the Chinese market. The Venus-R is a full width version of the hugely successful Apollo-R CD player making it the perfect partner for the latest Elex-R amplifier."

from Rega web page.

Forgive me for being dumb - if the Venus-R is the Apollo-R in Saturns clothes, what would be the benefit in basically duplicating the same machine?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

from Rega web page.

Forgive me for being dumb - if the Venus-R is the Apollo-R in Saturns clothes, what would be the benefit in basically duplicating the same machine?

Probably the Chinese market is not too fond of the half box of the Apollo...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking this is because UK's cheapies are Asia's audiophile wet dreams and they are simply willing to pay more (but obviosly not for a shoebox size).

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

from Rega web page.

Probably the Chinese market is not too fond of the half box of the Apollo...

Doesn't this bear out my initial concern? It's like me saying Arcam have supplied the US and Canada with a new CDP CD16.5. 'It's a half-width and could fit nicely into the UK market, but its internals are CD17.' Who would benefit from that, apart from a tiny minority who crave tiny boxes.

You would probably find that as puzzling as me reading the posts of you and Steve suggesting the Venus-R coming to the UK.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
the thing with the China market is, there is so much cash flowing around. Chances are, its probably gold plated in some way and there is a HUGE demand for gold-coloured items.

Did you guys hear, the 1st batch of iphone 6+, I believe the rumours are the gold colour version is going for £2400!!!

For a business like Rega, I'm surprised they are not producing China only specific really high end TTs, CDP, amps etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts