Rega RP3 vs RP6

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well my White RP3 with Ortofon Red 2M is on order been waiting 2 weeks so far.........Been reading on other forums about the RP6 and the more I read the more I wish I had listened to the RP6 when I demoed he RP3.

How big is the gap in perfomrance between these 2 decks? I dont want to uprade once Ive got my RP3 but I think I will always be thinking maybe I should of gone straight the the RP6 with Exact.

Is the Brio R phono stage capable of justifying such a deck?

Or should I just enjoy the RP3 and not worry about it?

And the colour options are a plus for me..........Green please!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Stevebrock

as you know my RP3 is brand new, as the rest of my system. I've bought the RP3 with my mind on a future upgrade to the RP6, as you know the arm, the engine, the lid are the same, I only will need the plinth and the TTPSU.

I don't think that the gap in performance between the RP3 and RP6 is that mutch.

If you have the extra money why not go all the way and buy the RP6, in my case i didn't, one thing i can say; the sound quality that i have is wonderfull, and the RP3 is responsavle for the half of it!

The way i see it there's no rong or right, just a wounderfull TT to ear your vinyl at the fullest!

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I can't really afford an RP6 but I have been good with my credit card I'm really tempted now! I might speak to my dealer tomorrow and see what he thinks maybe go and have a demo! I know people on other forums have got their modded RP3s sounding as good as the RP6.

I know the RP3 is a great TT fro the money!

Main difference is the platter, aluminium brace, aluminium sub platter and obviously the cartridge! I must say the polished plinth looks amazing!!

Many way I'm sat here with a beer listening to my RP1 and even that sounds great!

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yeah I can't really afford an RP6 but I have been good with my credit card I'm really tempted now! I might speak to my dealer tomorrow and see what he thinks maybe go and have a demo! I know people on other forums have got their modded RP3s sounding as good as the RP6.

Main difference is the platter, aluminium brace, aluminium sub platter and obviously the cartridge! I must say the polished plinth looks amazing!!

Many way I'm sat here with a beer listening to my RP1 and even that sounds great!

Guys - I currently stream lossless from mac to airport express then into REGA DAC. I'd love a turntable at some stage - RP3 seems to be the goto - How much of a jump do you notice?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:

All can be bought piece by piece!

Except for the cartridge, that is the only thing, in my opinion, that you can stretch your budget and have the best of the RP3, as the major expences go to the arm and cartridge.

BluePotato said:
stevebrock said:

Guys - I currently stream lossless from mac to airport express then into REGA DAC. I'd love a turntable at some stage - RP3 seems to be the goto - How much of a jump do you notice?

I've up close and personal with the RP6, and it certainly looks the biz (as yet not heard), as long as you can cope with the migraine-inducing colours. That's the only thing choking me off.

A

Anonymous

I just got my brio r and RP6 in gloss red and am very happy! I demod both and I think you do notice the difference in sound (although the RP3 does sound great). One thing to consider is that if you are going to opt for the RP3 and later buy the separate power pack then it is only a few hundred pounds more for the RP6. This and the fact the gloss colour looks a lot nicer sealed the deal for me!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have had a little windfall!

I am seriously considering upgrading to an RP6 in gloss white - going to ring my dealer tomorrow and see if he will do a trade in on my RP3 - I even could get a reasonable price off ebay or AVForums

I may even just go and demo one this week - An RP3?TT PSU vs RP6 if they are nearly the same I may just go straight for the standalone TT PSU!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I have had a little windfall!

I am seriously considering upgrading to an RP6 in gloss white - going to ring my dealer tomorrow and see if he will do a trade in on my RP3 - I even could get a reasonable price off ebay or AVForums

I may even just go and demo one this week - An RP3?TT PSU vs RP6 if they are nearly the same I may just go straight for the standalone TT PSU!

That will be my next year upgrade, if all goes well in my job, as you know Portugal is in a major crises, and the goverment measures are not helping, in my activity people are getting fired every month....

And yes White WILL BE THE COLOUR !!! 8)

best REGArds

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't usually participate in TT threads, and I might not be thanked for this contribution, but the title made me look.

A guy on the AVI forum has a RP3 and RP6 and has one of them up for sale, I think whichever goes first. He obviously has real world experience of them both. It might be worth just having a look in the buying selling bit.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
richardw42 said:
A guy on the AVI forum has a RP3 and RP6 and has one of them up for sale, I think whichever goes first. He obviously has real world experience of them both. It might be worth just having a look in the buying selling bit.

Ahh....that's probably the same guy who's selling on GSP audio forum.........nice looking decks :) Can't comment on RP3 vs RP6 but the RP6 is a big improvemnt over the P3-24. I was very lucky and got mine at the same price as an RP3 so, for me, it was an obvious choice :beer:

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The question is, could there be a bigger improvement from upgrading the Elys 2 to something more exotic? Worth consideration...

Funnily enough my thoughts currently are whether my Bias cartridge is a weak link in my system, and what to upgrade to for noticeable improvements.

I used to have a Goldring 1042 on my old system but I'm not looking to spend that much just yet, not on my P3 anyway. Nearly pulled the trigger on a new Elys 2 last night on Ebay going for £50, but decided against it even though it was going at less than half price.

Ortofon 2M Blue maybe?

335guy

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Though not exactly the same comparison, I recently made the move from Planar 3/Elys to RP6/Exact. The improvement is quite remarkable, though eschewing the banality of the typical technical review I have to just say the music is just a lot more, well, musical. Downside - it's now costing me a small fortune buying new vinyl to replace a lot of CD's i bought to replace old vinyl that was not well cared for back in the younger days.

I imagine a good chunk of the improvement could be attributed to the cartridge alone, but overall, I'm very pleased with the move I made.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I should go and demo a RP6/Exact side by side with an RP3/Elys2 & TT PSU!

If i upgraded to the the TT PSU then that is £748 I have spent, then to get the Exact Cartridge is another £200 (but still the RP6 has has the thicker, glossier plinth, metal bracing and better platter)

Makes it uneconomical to add the TT PSU & Exact - may as well sell my RP3 and go straight for the RP6.

Thoughts please?

stevebrock said:
I should go and demo a RP6/Exact side by side with an RP3/Elys2 & TT PSU!

If i upgraded to the the TT PSU then that is £748 I have spent, then to get the Exact Cartridge is another £200 (but still the RP6 has has the thicker, glossier plinth, metal bracing and better platter)

Makes it uneconomical to add the TT PSU & Exact - may as well sell my RP3 and go straight for the RP6.

Thoughts please?

Wouldn't do any harm to dem the RP6 - if your Rega dealer is approachable then try out different variations: RP6 or new power source. See which give the biggest uplift.

TBH I think changing speakers will give you bigger sonic lift.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Regarding my speakers..... TBH i dare not start messing with the RS1s, they work well in my small room 4X3m firing across the shortest side.

I would be open to suggestions of speakers - maybe KEF R100? I did a little bit of research on them they seem to get a good folllowing. I was going for the RS3 as I was moving and the new lounge was bigger but that has fallen through so at the minute don't want to mess with speakers until I know for certain on house move.

I did try some Neat Motive 3 for a week, but they had too much bass and I had to take them back - that is when my dealer suggested the RS1 and ever since been quite happy with them - yes they have there shortcomings with bass, but the positives outweigh this.

thanks

I can totally and utterly understand where you're coming from. Same with me and why I cling on to the MAs - they sound right for my room and taste. Having said that, I'm sure something like Neat Petites will give you the ideal sound in terms of room placement and overall sound. I only mention because you admire the Motive 3 so much.

Anyway back to the RP6: As stated earlier you'll need to hear the RP6 against your current TT. Not sure, TBH, whether the Brio-R will be good enough to hear a difference to justify spending an extra £500. I could be totally wrong but this is something you'll need to decide for yourself.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have an annoying itch.......i think its upgraditis!

Just spinning Pet Shop Boys - Introspective on the RP3. Amazing production as always from them.

It sounds mint - trying to justify now why i really need to change anything, amazing pace, rhythm & timing!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
confused even more now!

My dealer said he would give me £350 for my RP3/Elys 2 - so would cost £648 to change to an RP6/Exact!

Got a demo booked tomorrow!

Any body heard both decks side by side?

I suppose £350 is ok for trade in - would expect £400 from ebay, £40 fees so guess the p/ex with dealer is less hassle.

Any body offer some words of wisdom?

TRENDING THREADS