Rega RP3 new or Technics sl1200mk2 used

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi!
I was just about to buy a Marantz TT15S1 in a local store in my country but then I realized the TT was 110v 60hz and here we run 220v at 50hz. I've read that the Hz difference would make the TT spin at about 16-20% slower and there's no easy way around it and I ditched that option.

Because of the Hz difference, I can't order from the US and get it through a freight forwarder, so the only options I have been able to get are these:
1) Wait about a year until I can travel to Europe again ( I go there once a year) and get myself a Rega RP3 (maybe with a nagaoka MP150 or Ortofon 2m Blue) BUT this means no vinyl listening in a whole year!

2) I found a second hand Technics SL1200mk2 in my city for 700$ without a cartridge. It's got a new pitch control unit and the owner claims it has been recently serviced and it's in very good condition. I haven't seen it yet. Will do on saturday.

This is going to be my first real TT and I have no experience with them.
The Technics is appealing because it's a classic and I can get it now but since many posts claim it is not an audiophile TT, it makes me wonder if it would be useful for me. I am no way interested in DJing, yet again some other posts claim it can sound very good with a decent cartridge.

I'm totally overwhelmed after reading about the Marantz, RP3, SL1200MK2, even the Pioneer PLX1000 which I can also get here for 600$.
I'm only interested in the best audio quality performance I can get between these options.

Do you think it would make sense to get the Technics? even if it cannot perform like the Rega sonically? Or can it? o_O ha! I'm completely lost and confused!

I will appreciate any thoughts you can share with me.
Cheers!

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Is that US dollars?
If it is it is way too expensive.
How much will you have to pay for the Rega RP3?
Hey Al! Yes, that is US dollars. The Rega would be around 860-890 US $. BUT I can only get it when I travel to Europe (I live in South America). Next trip will be in a year or so. :cautious:
They sell regas here but they won’t work because they all are 110v at 60hz and we use 220v at 50hz here.

Hey Al! Yes, that is US dollars. The Rega would be around 860-890 US $. BUT I can only get it when I travel to Europe (I live in South America). Next trip will be in a year or so. :cautious:
They sell regas here but they won’t work because they all are 110v at 60hz and we use 220v at 50hz here.
There is a chap on this forum that uses a Marantz TT15S1 in the UK so they must do a 220v version surely? They probably make a pulley for a 50hertz supply as well....

Reactions: Arsenio Erico
I am one of a few members on here that have the Marantz tt15s1.
The motor is made by Clearaudio, so there will be several types available for use worldwide.
My advice would be to keep an eye open for a used one, or bide your time and get a new one.
It will be worth it in the end.
I’m not fully sure how the 50/60hz and 110/230v thing works, but you could ask Clearaudio if they do a different pulley for the motor.

Last edited:
I am one of a few members on here that have the Marantz tt15s1.
The motor is made by Clearaudio, so there will be several types available for use worldwide.
My advice would be to keep an eye open for a used one, or bide your time and get a new one.
It will be worth it in the end.
I’m not fully sure how the 50/60hz and 110/230v thing works, but you could ask Clearaudio if they do a different pulley for the motor.
Hi bigfish786
Presumably yours works on a 230v supply?
It's just that the Users Manual clearly states "TT-15S1 can be powered by 120V AC only". Presumably this is B.S.

D

Deleted member 108165

Another cheaper option is the pioneer plx1000 but I don’t know if it does a good job or not.
I have both, the original Pioneer PLX1000 and the Marantz TT-15S1. Personally, I found the Pioneer was better than a Project Carbon DC, however, the Marantz is far better than the Pioneer.

The Pioneer comes without a cartridge so you would need to factor that into the cost, also it's just a Technics clone made by Hanpin, not a bad deck but not on the same level as the Marantz.

D

Deleted member 108165

Yes, I’m on domestic UK supply. I imported my turntable from the Netherlands around 8 years ago. It worked right out of the box, with the addition of a three point plug adapter to take the eu plug.
Ditto. It was your initial thoughts all those years ago which prompted me to get one from the same dealer in NL (y)

Reactions: bigfish786

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your replies! They are very useful!
I contacted the store where they have a pair of the TT15S1 but there is no information available whether it's 120v 50hz or 60hz, and they are not willing to open the package to check it out.
I just emailed Marantz and Clear Audio to see what they suggest. I would really like to get this TT.

I am now doing some research on the 50hz 60hz thing. The TT has an asynchronous motor and I'm trying to see if the Frequency affects it anyway or not.

Reactions: Al ears
Thank you for your replies! They are very useful!
I contacted the store where they have a pair of the TT15S1 but there is no information available whether it's 120v 50hz or 60hz, and they are not willing to open the package to check it out.
I just emailed Marantz and Clear Audio to see what they suggest. I would really like to get this TT.

I am now doing some research on the 50hz 60hz thing. The TT has an asynchronous motor and I'm trying to see if the Frequency affects it anyway or not.
It's a great turntable. Hopefully you can get one that works with your electricity supply.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
I have both, the original Pioneer PLX1000 and the Marantz TT-15S1. Personally, I found the Pioneer was better than a Project Carbon DC, however, the Marantz is far better than the Pioneer.

The Pioneer comes without a cartridge so you would need to factor that into the cost, also it's just a Technics clone made by Hanpin, not a bad deck but not on the same level as the Marantz.
Hey Doug! I'm considering all of my options. That's why I'd like to ask you something. I'm imagining a scenario where I can't get the tt15 to work properly with my country's power, and then being unable to get a Rega RP3 either. In that case I'm left with only one option> the plx1000. Do you think it is decent enough to sound better than a 150$ automatic TT? It is VERY possible that I am left with only the option of the plx1000. I might get a Nagaoka MP150 or an Ortofon 2M Blue for it.
I know the TT15 is way superior, that's why Im contacting Clear Audio and Marantz to see if they can help me. But if I can't get it, I just want to make sure that the plx is good enough for a beginner like me. TY!!!

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
There are a lot of bad reviews on Trust Pilot re Hyper Fi, I'd be very careful before buying anything from them if it was my money. There are also positive reviews so I guess it's a case of 'You pays your money and take your chances'. A very tempting price though ........

D

Deleted member 108165

Hey Doug! I'm considering all of my options. That's why I'd like to ask you something. I'm imagining a scenario where I can't get the tt15 to work properly with my country's power, and then being unable to get a Rega RP3 either. In that case I'm left with only one option> the plx1000. Do you think it is decent enough to sound better than a 150$ automatic TT? It is VERY possible that I am left with only the option of the plx1000. I might get a Nagaoka MP150 or an Ortofon 2M Blue for it.
I know the TT15 is way superior, that's why Im contacting Clear Audio and Marantz to see if they can help me. But if I can't get it, I just want to make sure that the plx is good enough for a beginner like me. TY!!!
Personally I think the PLX is a very capable deck, hence why I still own one instead of selling it on; it's nice to have a direct drive. It is not and never will be in the same league as a Technics as it's purely a Chinese built Technics clone built along the same lines as the Audio Technica and Reloop decks, it's just re-badged as a Pioneer.

I'm not a big fan of Chinese decks as there are generally QC issues with them, main areas of concern are loose tonearm gimbal bearings and wonky platters. However, the PLX does spin an LP and gives decent reproduction. It is a fine looking deck and feels very robust, it also comes with a dust cover, something the Marantz lacks, but does not come with a bundled cartridge, the Marantz comes with a very decent bundled cartridge.

Having owned a Project and the Pioneer prior to the Marantz, un-boxing the Marantz was interesting, the engineering on the Marantz is superb. Both need correct basic set-up but after this the Pioneer was basically plug and play once a cartridge was fitted, the Marantz requires some careful assembly. For a beginner the Pioneer is a winner here.

Many people rave about the PLX, it has its place but will always be inferior to the Marantz in as much as cartridge selection and outright performance. The Marantz will take far better cartridges and will outperform the PLX on sonic performance and reproduction every time. All of this will be very dependent on the condition of your LP collection, dirty or worn LPs do not sound very good, regardless of how good the deck is.

Your ideas for a cartridge for the PLX is good, it will perform well with a Nagaoka or Ortofon, and also AT cartridges. You will not get the best out of an expensive cartridge so don't venture too high up the range. VTA adjustment on the Pioneer is a doddle as is cartridge swaps due to the removable headshell.

What is the difference in price in your country between the Pioneer and Marantz, how much does each deck cost? Can you get hold of an AT-LP5 in your country, and if so what is the price?

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Personally I think the PLX is a very capable deck, hence why I still own one instead of selling it on; it's nice to have a direct drive. It is not and never will be in the same league as a Technics as it's purely a Chinese built Technics clone built along the same lines as the Audio Technica and Reloop decks, it's just re-badged as a Pioneer.

I'm not a big fan of Chinese decks as there are generally QC issues with them, main areas of concern are loose tonearm gimbal bearings and wonky platters. However, the PLX does spin an LP and gives decent reproduction. It is a fine looking deck and feels very robust, it also comes with a dust cover, something the Marantz lacks, but does not come with a bundled cartridge, the Marantz comes with a very decent bundled cartridge.

Having owned a Project and the Pioneer prior to the Marantz, un-boxing the Marantz was interesting, the engineering on the Marantz is superb. Both need correct basic set-up but after this the Pioneer was basically plug and play once a cartridge was fitted, the Marantz requires some careful assembly. For a beginner the Pioneer is a winner here.

Many people rave about the PLX, it has its place but will always be inferior to the Marantz in as much as cartridge selection and outright performance. The Marantz will take far better cartridges and will outperform the PLX on sonic performance and reproduction every time. All of this will be very dependent on the condition of your LP collection, dirty or worn LPs do not sound very good, regardless of how good the deck is.

Your ideas for a cartridge for the PLX is good, it will perform well with a Nagaoka or Ortofon, and also AT cartridges. You will not get the best out of an expensive cartridge so don't venture too high up the range. VTA adjustment on the Pioneer is a doddle as is cartridge swaps due to the removable headshell.

What is the difference in price in your country between the Pioneer and Marantz, how much does each deck cost? Can you get hold of an AT-LP5 in your country, and if so what is the price?
First of all, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I appreciate it! :beercheers:
Last night I emailed Clear Audio and Marantz asking about the 50-60hz difference. I've read a couple of forums where people claim that "synchronous" motors are affected by the frequency difference. This made me wonder about the Marantz because in the official website of the TT15 it clearly says it has an "asynchronous non servo AC motor". That is why I am still hoping it might not be affected by the frequency difference. The 120v vs 220v is no big deal because I have a very good step up transformer which will do the job. Fingers crossed! Another option would be I THINK a 50hz Pulley which I also asked Clear Audio if they have it in stock and if it could solve the problem. Again: fingers crossed!

I just called the Audio Technica dealer in my country but they do not have the LP5, their top TT is the LP140xp which I'm not interested in. BUT they offered a Yamaha TT-S303 which I haven't read about yet. I will google it after I post this. I wonder how it compares to the PLX1000, they cost basically the same and I will not need all the DJ features the PLX has.

This is what it is looking like so far for me, then:
1) Hope Marantz or Clear Audio tells me it will be fine to use the TT15 with 50Hz power frequency because of the asynchronous motor it has, or offer to sell a 50hz pulley which might cost somewhere around 80US$ or more. The TT15 is 1245$. with the pulley it could go up to 1350$ +-

2) PLX1000 even though it plays in a way lower League compared to the TT15 (maybe League One vs Premier League?) but still decent enough over the Audio Technica LP120 or LP140xp. The PLX1000 is 645US$ (half the price of the TT15, half the quality and sound?)

3) Yamaha TT-S303 650US$ which comes with a cartridge which I would upgrade, I assume it is a very basic one.

4) Rega Planar 3 imported from the US 950US$ plus a 50hz pulley +- 50$ (would need to find out where to buy one from). Plus a cartridge (200-350$). Total +- 1300US$

5) Pro Ject Carbon Debut recordmaster hires with Ortofon Red cartridge for 740US$.

6) There is a second hand Technics SL1200mk2 for +- 700US$ w/o a cartridge. It has a modified pitch control and I'm not sure if it still has the original motor or if it's been changed. Al Ears told me that's a lot of money for an SL1200 and I also do not feel confident to determine if it plays well or not since I'm a total beginner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed reply! I appreciate it! :beercheers:
Last night I emailed Clear Audio and Marantz asking about the 50-60hz difference. I've read a couple of forums where people claim that "synchronous" motors are affected by the frequency difference. This made me wonder about the Marantz because in the official website of the TT15 it clearly says it has an "asynchronous non servo AC motor". That is why I am still hoping it might not be affected by the frequency difference. The 120v vs 220v is no big deal because I have a very good step up transformer which will do the job. Fingers crossed! Another option would be I THINK a 50hz Pulley which I also asked Clear Audio if they have it in stock and if it could solve the problem. Again: fingers crossed!

I just called the Audio Technica dealer in my country but they do not have the LP5, their top TT is the LP140xp which I'm not interested in. BUT they offered a Yamaha TT-S303 which I haven't read about yet. I will google it after I post this. I wonder how it compares to the PLX1000, they cost basically the same and I will not need all the DJ features the PLX has.

This is what it is looking like so far for me, then:
1) Hope Marantz or Clear Audio tells me it will be fine to use the TT15 with 50Hz power frequency because of the asynchronous motor it has, or offer to sell a 50hz pulley which might cost somewhere around 80US$ or more. The TT15 is 1245$. with the pulley it could go up to 1350$ +-

2) PLX1000 even though it plays in a way lower League compared to the TT15 (maybe League One vs Premier League?) but still decent enough over the Audio Technica LP120 or LP140xp. The PLX1000 is 645US$ (half the price of the TT15, half the quality and sound?)

3) Yamaha TT-S303 650US$ which comes with a cartridge which I would upgrade, I assume it is a very basic one.

4) Rega Planar 3 imported from the US 950US$ plus a 50hz pulley +- 50$ (would need to find out where to buy one from). Plus a cartridge (200-350$). Total +- 1300US$

5) Pro Ject Carbon Debut recordmaster hires with Ortofon Red cartridge for 740US$.

6) There is a second hand Technics SL1200mk2 for +- 700US$ w/o a cartridge. It has a modified pitch control and I'm not sure if it still has the original motor or if it's been changed. Al Ears told me that's a lot of money for an SL1200 and I also do not feel confident to determine if it plays well or not since I'm a total beginner.
That's some good information, thank you. You seem to be very limited as to what is available for you to purchase in your country. For comparison, prices in the UK are as follows:

Marantz TT-15S1 - £1400 (vs $1245)
Pioneer PLX1000 - £600 (vs $645)
Yamaha TT-S303 - n/a in UK ($650)
Rega Planar 3 - £600 (vs $1300)
Project DC RM - £650 (vs $740)
Audio Technica - AT-LP5 - £300

Using the above comparisons here's my thoughts:
Forget the Rega it's too expensive for what it is. Also forget the Technics as that's too much money as well. AT is not available to you so forget that too. The Yamaha S303 isn't available here, only an upgraded Music Cast 500 version @ £500.

I've had the pleasure of owning three of the above models: Project, Pioneer and Marantz, purchased in that order and I would categorise their performance in that order too, the Project and the Pioneer were close, just a different sound signature. My sister has my old Project in her system and it still sounds very good indeed.

If you can get the Marantz it will get you the best sound for your money. Is it better than the Project/PLX? Yes. Is it twice as good as the Project/PLX? No.

The Yamaha looks interesting, made in China again, but most things are made there these days. It does look a little expensive in the price comparison being the same price as the Pioneer, when its superior version is available here for the same price as the PLX. The Yamaha is belt driven whereas the Pioneer is DD, I personally have no preference either way. The Yamaha does look sleek and uncluttered compared to the Pioneer and also comes with a cartridge, though a replacement cart does seem to be a necessary upgrade.

Marantz comes with a good cartridge but it's not plug and play out of the box, there is some assembly required, so not novice friendly. It also has no dust cover.
Pioneer comes with a dust cover but no cartridge so not quite plug and play straight out of the box.
Yamaha comes with a dust cover and a bundled cartridge so once set-up you will spinning LPs within the hour.
Project comes with a dust cover and a reasonable mounted cartridge, so is probably the most novice friendly deck in the list. Stylus upgrade on the Ortofon is simple. For a beginners turntable the Project would be my choice.

Does your amp have an internal phono-stage for turntable connection?
Can you get a standard Project Debut Carbon in your country and if so what is the price?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts