New Rega MM cartridge coming

I understand that there is a new Rega MM cartridge being launched in the not too distant future. The cartridge sits above the Exact and will top Rega's MM range.

Wondered what Rega TT aficionados think of the announcement.
Interesting, haven't heard of this one. Is it a single cartridge or a range?
Possibly to combat Ortofons new range of shorter bodied cartridges for Rega turntables??

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Interesting, haven't heard of this one. Is it a single cartridge or a range?
Possibly to combat Ortofons new range of shorter bodied cartridges for Rega turntables??
My understanding is that there is just the one at the moment, it is named the Nd7 - rather catchy (not).

Apparently there is a new Pre/Power amp coming as well, I don't have any details on model names or specs.

As you mention the Nd7 is probably to combat the new 2MR range from Ortofon, the announcements are good for vinyl fans and show Rega's commitment to the format.

Reactions: Revolutions

Oxfordian

Has it been announced at the Bristol show?

Interesting. Although I think my next cart will be MC, so probably not for me.
Yes, Bristol.

If I keep my P3 then it could be considered as a logical upgrade on the Exact but as that has only 30 hours of play under it's stylus it could be a while before that upgrade is needed.

Should I upgrade my TT then a MC cart is more likely to be in situ.

Reactions: Revolutions
Yes, Bristol.

If I keep my P3 then it could be considered as a logical upgrade on the Exact but as that has only 30 hours of play under it's stylus it could be a while before that upgrade is needed.

Should I upgrade my TT then a MC cart is more likely to be in situ.
I heard it today, at the show. I must say I thought the whole system was very impressive.

It was:
Planar 6, with the prototype Nd7 which they reckon will be £450.
Elex mk4 amp
Fono MM mk5
Aya speakers, the new ‘concrete’ ones, £1499/pr.

Whole system c. £4500 and really punchy, clean, clear and enjoyable. Impossible to say how each bit contributes, but frankly if they said the cartridge was twice the price I wouldn’t have been shocked.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

I heard it today, at the show. I must say I thought the whole system was very impressive.

It was:
Planar 6, with the prototype Nd7 which they reckon will be £450.
Elex mk4 amp
Fono MM mk5
Aya speakers, the new ‘concrete’ ones, £1499/pr.

Whole system c. £4500 and really punchy, clean, clear and enjoyable. Impossible to say how each bit contributes, but frankly if they said the cartridge was twice the price I wouldn’t have been shocked.
Awesome, nice to get feedback from someone who has actually heard it, I only got the gossip about it being launched. Apparently the Rega stand/room was one of the best at the show, some other reputable brands were a bit meh and lacklustre.

Was there any sign of the new pre/power combination that is rumoured?

Would you put the Nd7 on a P8?

Awesome, nice to get feedback from someone who has actually heard it, I only got the gossip about it being launched. Apparently the Rega stand/room was one of the best at the show, some other reputable brands were a bit meh and lacklustre.

why wouldn't you fit one to a P8 if you didn't want to go the MC route?

Oxfordian

why wouldn't you fit one to a P8 if you didn't want to go the MC route?
I always get this feeling that MC carts and TT’s at or near the top of the range sort of go together, yes I know it’s stupid but sometimes I just forget that a good MM cart can work just as well as an MC cart in the right system.

Thanks for the proverbial slap to get me thinking straight.

🤦‍♂️

I always get this feeling that MC carts and TT’s at or near the top of the range sort of go together, yes I know it’s stupid but sometimes I just forget that a good MM cart can work just as well as an MC cart in the right system.

Thanks for the proverbial slap to get me thinking straight.

🤦‍♂️
Not what I meant, i think, however you are correct that spending hundreds on what could be an entry level MC could be considered madness when there are as good or better MM cartridges available for the same price.

Last edited:

I didn’t notice the pre-power, but it might well have been in a static display. Indeed, Rega had a second room, opposite the one I listened in. It’s on the show plan, so it was probably in there. There is a picture in the WHF show report, on the main website.

Yes, I’d definitely use it on a P8, though they were canny to show it on the modest P6.

Generally, I heard few poor rooms this time, though I picked and chose carefully and tried not to overdo it. It’s easy to get tired ears!

£4500 Rega System was outclassed by £995 Silence new turntable from serbia ex clearaudio engineer start up company with exposure / Kef for a excellent sounding £2500 system
I’d forgotten that one, but it looked stunning. Definitely looked like two grands worth with the wooden plinth laminate and carbon fibre arm. Curiously used the AT-3600 carbon cartridge like Rega does with the one branded for them, complete with conical stylus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts