Rega RP3 new or Technics sl1200mk2 used

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
That's some good information, thank you. You seem to be very limited as to what is available for you to purchase in your country. For comparison, prices in the UK are as follows:

Marantz TT-15S1 - £1400 (vs $1245)
Pioneer PLX1000 - £600 (vs $645)
Yamaha TT-S303 - n/a in UK ($650)
Rega Planar 3 - £600 (vs $1300)
Project DC RM - £650 (vs $740)
Audio Technica - AT-LP5 - £300

Using the above comparisons here's my thoughts:
Forget the Rega it's too expensive for what it is. Also forget the Technics as that's too much money as well. AT is not available to you so forget that too. The Yamaha S303 isn't available here, only an upgraded Music Cast 500 version @ £500.

I've had the pleasure of owning three of the above models: Project, Pioneer and Marantz, purchased in that order and I would categorise their performance in that order too, the Project and the Pioneer were close, just a different sound signature. My sister has my old Project in her system and it still sounds very good indeed.

If you can get the Marantz it will get you the best sound for your money. Is it better than the Project/PLX? Yes. Is it twice as good as the Project/PLX? No.

The Yamaha looks interesting, made in China again, but most things are made there these days. It does look a little expensive in the price comparison being the same price as the Pioneer, when its superior version is available here for the same price as the PLX. The Yamaha is belt driven whereas the Pioneer is DD, I personally have no preference either way. The Yamaha does look sleek and uncluttered compared to the Pioneer and also comes with a cartridge, though a replacement cart does seem to be a necessary upgrade.

Marantz comes with a good cartridge but it's not plug and play out of the box, there is some assembly required, so not novice friendly. It also has no dust cover.
Pioneer comes with a dust cover but no cartridge so not quite plug and play straight out of the box.
Yamaha comes with a dust cover and a bundled cartridge so once set-up you will spinning LPs within the hour.
Project comes with a dust cover and a reasonable mounted cartridge, so is probably the most novice friendly deck in the list. Stylus upgrade on the Ortofon is simple. For a beginners turntable the Project would be my choice.

Does your amp have an internal phono-stage for turntable connection?
Can you get a standard Project Debut Carbon in your country and if so what is the price?
Mate, if I were near you I'd have sent a few pints your way already! Thanks a lot Doug! And Al Ears, too. He's always been very helpful and kind.
Great, I agree with what you suggested. Narrowing down my options I'm left with these 3:

1.Marantz TT15 if (fingers crossed) its asynchronous motor isn't affected by power frequency or find a 50hz pulley (waiting for ClearAudio and/or Marantz reply to my email). 1265$. This is my ideal TT, I'm in love with it! I do not want to go the upgrading route but I think can handle all the assembly process and have a bunch of tools (azimuth, stylus gauge, tweezers, protractors and good steady hands). I think I could be good with this TT for years to come.

2- Pioneer PLX1000 with an Ortofon 2M Bronze (I listened to some demos on YouTube today and really liked that cartridge, 440$). For this combo I'd pay 1085$ or 1000$ if I can get it w/o taxes. This will leave me with some extra money I could save to upgrade my Q Acoustics 3030i for a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 or 200 in a couple of months.

3- Pro Ject Debut Carbon standard if they have one in stock here. The one I'm sure they have here is the RecordMaster version which has a built in phono and USB which I do not like for the extra wiring and circuits I wouldn't use and may affect overall audio quality. I do not want to keep the 2M Red that comes with it, I'd need to get the 2M Bronze. I could see the Red for 80$ and the total cost would be pretty much the same as option 2 (plx1000).

I have a Cambridge Audio Solo Phono stage going into a Cambridge Audio CXA61,

D

Deleted member 108165

Mate, if I were near you I'd have sent a few pints your way already! Thanks a lot Doug! And Al Ears, too. He's always been very helpful and kind.
Great, I agree with what you suggested. Narrowing down my options I'm left with these 3:

1.Marantz TT15 if (fingers crossed) its asynchronous motor isn't affected by power frequency or find a 50hz pulley (waiting for ClearAudio and/or Marantz reply to my email). 1265$. This is my ideal TT, I'm in love with it! I do not want to go the upgrading route but I think can handle all the assembly process and have a bunch of tools (azimuth, stylus gauge, tweezers, protractors and good steady hands). I think I could be good with this TT for years to come.

2- Pioneer PLX1000 with an Ortofon 2M Bronze (I listened to some demos on YouTube today and really liked that cartridge, 440$). For this combo I'd pay 1085$ or 1000$ if I can get it w/o taxes. This will leave me with some extra money I could save to upgrade my Q Acoustics 3030i for a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 or 200 in a couple of months.

3- Pro Ject Debut Carbon standard if they have one in stock here. The one I'm sure they have here is the RecordMaster version which has a built in phono and USB which I do not like for the extra wiring and circuits I wouldn't use and may affect overall audio quality. I do not want to keep the 2M Red that comes with it, I'd need to get the 2M Bronze. I could see the Red for 80$ and the total cost would be pretty much the same as option 2 (plx1000).

I have a Cambridge Audio Solo Phono stage going into a Cambridge Audio CXA61,
Agree with you on every point, also once you have seen the Marantz it's hard to let it go. Fingers crossed that it works out for you. Don't forget that you will need a cover for it as all turntables are dust magnets. If you manage to bag the Marantz the manual in the box is very sparse indeed but there is an excellent set-up video on YT.

The 2M Bronze is my favourite amongst the 2M range, I prefer it over the 2M Black; my sister has the Bronze mounted on my old Project. In the end my ears went with Nagaoka but they are no longer the bargain they used to be.

Good luck and let us know how you get on (y) We are all here to help if we can :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Finally Marantz has replied to my email. They said they are no longer providing tech support for the TT15S1 and directed me to a distributor in my area to see if they had any spare parts left (pulley). I contacted them and got an immediate response saying that due to very low sales in my area they do not have any pulleys left and that indeed the TT15S1 120v 60Hz will not work in my country (220v 50Hz). That was my last attempt to get the Marantz. :cry:

So, I went to my local store to see the PJ Debut Carbon Standard (not the one with USB which is called Recordmaster) but they didn't have any in stock. Also, the Debut Recordmaster version they have is 120V 60Hz, I couldn't use it either. I told them that there's no point in importing those 110V 60Hz turntables because they won't work. I don't think they really cared.
So, I checked the PLX1000, they offered a discount (590$) and found it ok. As everyone says, it is heavy, looks sturdy, I couldn't hear or hand feel any significant tonearm bearings issue (though I have to check thoroughly when I can) and the platter is flat. I'm still waiting for the Ortofon Bronze cartridge to arrive so I can adjust everything and see how it goes. Fingers crossed! I ended up spending 1000$ and hope I can enjoy it. The PLX ended up being my only option available so I hope it works out well.
Doing all the research on phono preamp, TT, the 50/60hz thing, cartridge has driven me crazy. Now, I just want to finally sit down and enjoy my records!
I will write my opinion on this combo as soon as I spend somewhere between 40 and 70 hours on them just in case someone else finds it useful.
Thank you all very much!

D

Deleted member 108165

Finally Marantz has replied to my email. They said they are no longer providing tech support for the TT15S1 and directed me to a distributor in my area to see if they had any spare parts left (pulley). I contacted them and got an immediate response saying that due to very low sales in my area they do not have any pulleys left and that indeed the TT15S1 120v 60Hz will not work in my country (220v 50Hz). That was my last attempt to get the Marantz. :cry:

So, I went to my local store to see the PJ Debut Carbon Standard (not the one with USB which is called Recordmaster) but they didn't have any in stock. Also, the Debut Recordmaster version they have is 120V 60Hz, I couldn't use it either. I told them that there's no point in importing those 110V 60Hz turntables because they won't work. I don't think they really cared.
So, I checked the PLX1000, they offered a discount (590$) and found it ok. As everyone says, it is heavy, looks sturdy, I couldn't hear or hand feel any significant tonearm bearings issue (though I have to check thoroughly when I can) and the platter is flat. I'm still waiting for the Ortofon Bronze cartridge to arrive so I can adjust everything and see how it goes. Fingers crossed! I ended up spending 1000$ and hope I can enjoy it. The PLX ended up being my only option available so I hope it works out well.
Doing all the research on phono preamp, TT, the 50/60hz thing, cartridge has driven me crazy. Now, I just want to finally sit down and enjoy my records!
I will write my opinion on this combo as soon as I spend somewhere between 40 and 70 hours on them just in case someone else finds it useful.
Thank you all very much!
Sorry to hear about the Marantz as it would have been a steal at the price. I'm sure the Pioneer will be a sterling performer and look forward to hearing your thoughts. As a PLX owner myself if you have any questions just ask away.

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

TRENDING THREADS