Rega P9 - at what cost?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm at a dilemma point - really into my vinyl now and trying to get the best sound.

Because of a bad back, I'm about to sell my Laser dinghy, which will give me about £1,500 I didn't expect, so that could go into chipping away at mortgage, or could be used for more fun pursuits....like vinyl.

Having started down the Rega turntable path (P3-24 with Goldring 1042 mm cartridge) perhaps this might be my chance to jump a few stages and get say a Rega P9 ?

The P9 has the simple clean looks (no gyros or visible drive belts etc) that my wife is happy with. Ok, I'll have to look s/h or add some more cash, but this might be my turntable for eventual retirement and happy days ahead.

But the P9 reviews I've seen have all used cartridges that cost a lot of money (Ortofon Jubilee at £1,300+ etc), and maybe I'll have to change my Trichord Dino phono stage for something more expensive to do justice to the P9?

Also, the dealers I've so far tried do not have a P9, and would probably have to specially get one in to try out.

I don't want to waste their time unnecessarily - do I realistically have to budget £4,000+ for a P9 and cartridge, or is there a much cheaper way to reach vinyl nirvana, and be worth the ugrade from my P3-24?

What level/cost of cartridge would I need to get to do justice to the P9? (would my Goldring 1042 be up to the task?)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I don't think you need to worry about putting a 1042 on a P9, you will still get a nice hike in performance and when funds allow you can decide on a cartridge or phono stage change (if you feel the need that is)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A Rega P7 (£1325 black, £1355 solid cherry wood surround, includes TT-PSU in the price) and a Rega Exact cartridge (£255) should give you a suitably big jump in quality for around what you want to spend.

'True Blue' uses this combination in his Naim/PMC set-up.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
How about a trailer sailer? Nice and comfortable, not too hard on the old back.

I'm going to do a lindsayt and suggest a good Thorens instead. Unless my memory's gone AWOL they're pretty s*** hot. TD160 or TD145

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
A Rega P7 (£1325 black, £1355 solid cherry wood surround, includes TT-PSU in the price) and a Rega Exact cartridge (£255) should give you a suitably big jump in quality for around what you want to spend.

The problem with the P7 is the white ceramic subplatter design, which some reviewers have said makes them dizzy. Otherwise would be a great option.

Reassuring that a P9 with a modest cartridge would be fine (is the Rega Exact any better than my 1042? Similar price.) - just need to find somewhere with one to try out.

John Duncan

I'm afraid I'm a terrible turntable sl-t - if I was dropping two and a half grand on a spinner, I'd want it to look like I had (which means steel or acrylic). Boo to Mrs DC and her Gyro Emnity!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Boo to Mrs DC and her Gyro Emnity!

She puts up with a lot of guitars and buttonless black boxes with plugs on, so I have to meet her halfway on this :)

I managed to replace my CA BD650 with a CA BD751 without her noticing, but then she noticed the improved sound and picture.

I have to be honest with the turntable, as I'd really hope she'd notice any improved sound for the big extra cost.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
agree with JD I'm afraid. At that price point, nothing less than the Gyro bling factor will do. Having said that, take the sensible advice re P7 given above. That should be a considerable improvement without breaking bank.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
But I've already got the Rega wallmount shelf :)

My friends at Rayleigh HiFi have tracked down the official Rega P9 demo unit, and once it comes back from the Bristol Show, I should be able to arrange an audition. Maybe I should go to the Bristol Show?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
chebby said:

The problem with the P7 is the white ceramic subplatter design, which some reviewers have said makes them dizzy. Otherwise would be a great option.

Reassuring that a P9 with a modest cartridge would be fine (is the Rega Exact any better than my 1042? Similar price.) - just need to find somewhere with one to try out.

How about spraying the 'White Ceramic platter' with a black or any colour that suits, acrilic satin or matt finish pait, use an etching undercoat, the type used for glass fiber and plastic car pannels, it should be avaliable as an airosol? I remember tracking down an acid etch undercoat designed for painting on glass.

Of course, there is the component upgrade to your existing P3-24 as per my P5, thats been well documented on here.

The best option; there is a guy in Chesterfield I think? who totaly rebuilds Regas, using your own as the component source. One of the options is a new thicker solid wood plinth (choice of woods) . . . I was reading the web site a couple of days ago . . . he even invites you to watch the rebuild and then 'demonstrates the finished artical' . . . I seem to recal the price was reasonable too. I cant remember the name . . . come on Chebby, you must know . . . .

. . . :bounce: Found it; 'Inspire HiFi' based in Chesterfield, they do all sorts of rebuilds, Thorens, Linn, Rega, Google the name.

CJSF

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
agree with JD I'm afraid. At that price point, nothing less than the Gyro bling factor will do. Having said that, take the sensible advice re P7 given above. That should be a considerable improvement without breaking bank.

I don't think so, simply because the P7 will shortly be replaced by the RP8 or whatever they decide to call it. The P7 and P9 replacements will likely have ceramic platters too, though whether the P7 retains the gyro effect remains to be seen ( I somehow doubt it).

Far better to buy the stunning and relatively inexpensive RP6. This has these advantages over even a P7:

- the new brace between arm and bearing

- a newly designed arm (RB303) which will probably be on a par if not better than the RB700

- a rigid plinth multi-coated and stiffened, unlike the P5 and 7

- a brand new design TTPSU

- all for £798

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Helmut80 said:

I don't think so, simply because the P7 will shortly be replaced by the RP8 or whatever they decide to call it. The P7 and P9 replacements will likely have ceramic platters too, though whether the P7 retains the gyro effect remains to be seen ( I somehow doubt it).

Far better to buy the stunning and relatively inexpensive RP6. This has these advantages over even a P7:

- the new brace between arm and bearing

- a newly designed arm (RB303) which will probably be on a par if not better than the RB700

- a rigid plinth multi-coated and stiffened, unlike the P5 and 7

- a brand new design TTPSU

- all for £798
I've already "pimped" my P3-24 to a certain extent, with Origin Live counterweight, sub platter damping kit, so I'm looking for the big jump in sound quality, so that I don't get tempted to upgrade for at least another 10 years. Should I wait for an RP8 ? Any ideas when it might appear?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Congrats on what sounds like a great choice, however please dont believe all you read, I have the fantastic P7 +Exact combo and beleive me when your engrossed in the musical reproduction you dont worry about what the platter looks like and TBH I dont even notice it when I am staring at it. The P7 is a fantastic deck. Should be able to pick up some cheap as rega will be announcing no doubt the RP8 and RP10 (the succesors to the P7 and P9) soonish I would have thought.

The P7 + exact gives such a deep insight into the music whilst retaining what is best about rega. It is very very accurate but not clinical or harsh. I gives me a lovely warm feeling when I am listening to it and could loose myself for hours.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think a Gyro Deck can be had with black gyro weights or a solid acrilic platter (no visable weights). However I would sugest a call to 'Inspire HI Fi' to talk about their rebuilds, the word is, they are a bit special? I believe they will set up a demo listening session, decide for your self.

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Forget the P9 (and the P7 for that matter). Rega's design philosphy really is at the stage of diminishing returns at those prices.

try out a Well Tempered Simplex (£1500), bolt on a Dynavector 10x5 (£300) and never look back! Soooo much more musical than the Regas and potential for even greater information retrieval!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DistinctlyMinto said:
try out a Well Tempered Simplex (£1500), bolt on a Dynavector 10x5 (£300) and never look back! Soooo much more musical than the Regas and potential for even greater information retrieval!

Interesting - certainly got the simple approach - looks like Rayleigh HiFi are also dealers of Well Tempered, so hopefully might be able to do a head-to-head comparison.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
However I would sugest a call to 'Inspire HI Fi' to talk about their rebuilds, the word is, they are a bit special? CJSF

Just had a very useful conversation with Robert from Inspire Hifi and he has sent a pic of the Rega Quest upgrade package, and particularly a beautiful macassar (dark rosewood style) veneer for the birch plinth - looks stunning.

This could well be my route forward !!

A

Anonymous

DandyCobalt said:
CJSF said:
However I would sugest a call to 'Inspire HI Fi' to talk about their rebuilds, the word is, they are a bit special? CJSF

Just had a very useful conversation with Robert from Inspire Hifi and he has sent a pic of the Rega Quest upgrade package, and particularly a beautiful macassar (dark rosewood style) veneer for the birch plinth - looks stunning.

This could well be my route forward !!

Got my LP12 from Inspire. Can't think of a single negative. I ended up with what looks like a brand new TT, with improved sound over the basic brand new LP12 for about a third of the cost! Bob also brought the TT round for a home demo against my previous TT and a nearly new Pro-ject that someone had traded in, so I got to hear exactly how it would sound in my own room.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
DistinctlyMinto said:
Forget the P9 (and the P7 for that matter). Rega's design philosphy really is at the stage of diminishing returns at those prices.

No idea what this really means. Rega designed the P7 to be a cost-effective version of the P9, with ceramic platter and twin-belt aluminium sub-platter, all of which works a treat. I had a P7 for 3 years and it's a different ballgame to a P3-24.

You use a Well-Tempered because you like the sound, which is fair enough. Most of us will never get the chance to hear one!

TRENDING THREADS