Turntable upgrade?

Heynumberone

Apr 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,
My current turntable is a project debut III with a goldring E3 cartridge. I’m looking to upgrade but unsure what the minimum spend will be for an appreciable difference. I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t worth pursuing a better cartridge and it’s probably time to upgrade the complete deck. Would changing to a regs P3 bring a significant change or should I look more at things in the P6 range (which might be out of budget).
System is Sugden A48 amplifier, Dali Oberon 3 speakers. Ideal budget around £1000.
Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,
My current turntable is a project debut III with a goldring E3 cartridge. I’m looking to upgrade but unsure what the minimum spend will be for an appreciable difference. I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t worth pursuing a better cartridge and it’s probably time to upgrade the complete deck. Would changing to a regs P3 bring a significant change or should I look more at things in the P6 range (which might be out of budget).
System is Sugden A48 amplifier, Dali Oberon 3 speakers. Ideal budget around £1000.
Any thoughts/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.
Do you want to buy new or second-hand?

Trade in your debut for a X2B
And if that’s too rich, then maybe this…

On the wider point, a Rega 3 wouldn’t be a massive upgrade by any means, and quite a few think of the 6 as only slightly better than the P3. If you can see, hear and play with any of the possibilities, do take the opportunity, because the appearance and handling are often as important to your enjoyment as the sound. (I chose a Michell TecnoDec over a Rega Planar about a decade ago, but the Michell is now almost two grand)

For something completely different, a Technics SL1500 on offer, with a stylus upgrade to a 2M Blue might appeal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i would sugest a Rega as the pro-jects i tried amongst them the top-end model but the around 1000€ turntables are very weak,

but, maybe you prefer a less expensive and maybe better built, if you could find a 70´s technics if working properly ,

Rega is a good option and most important, the cartridge, i refer to before 79 technics as currently i´m using two and were heavy used ,

recentelly bought a P10 from Rega and i´m happy with it, and installed a Hana Umami red, as they are cheaper to me than the ofered options with a made for it power suply,

i would sugest to look for the cartridges especifications , if a Rega would be, hope you´ll be satisfied with your purchase

Why if he hasn't the peripherals to take advantage ot it, which he doesn't.....
Can you explain reasoning?

Outputs RCA & XLR Fully balanced for future upgrades

View attachment 6462
Good point assuming he wants to buy a suitable phono preamp in the future.

Fred1958

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
For just over £100 you could upgrade your E3 with the new E4 stylus. I contacted Goldring and they have confirmed that it is the same body. The E4 stylus is a nude eliptical which tightens up the bass, greater separation and more refined high frequencies. It's high compliance too so it will suit many arms/TT combos. A cost effective that is well worth it, to my ears at least.

David

I’ve got the goldring e3 too, it’s a good enough cart, but I much prefer the Nagaoka MP110.
For me, a way more musical cart. Worth shopping around for. They have gone up in price but I think are still worth the outlay.

Reactions: DougK1

Heynumberone

Apr 13, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all, lots of food for thought here. I’m interested in a stylus upgrade - perhaps while I save more for a total turntable change. How easy/difficult is it to fit a new stylus?

Local hifi shop does reconditioned Linn LP12’s often with an ATvm95ml cart. Any thoughts there? They average about £1300 so similar price to a moving magnet fitted Rega P6.

Heynumberone

Apr 13, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all, lots of food for thought here. I’m interested in a stylus upgrade - perhaps while I save more for a total turntable change. How easy/difficult is it to fit a new stylus?

Local hifi shop does reconditioned Linn LP12’s often with an ATvm95ml cart. Any thoughts there? They average about £1300 so similar price to a moving magnet fitted Rega P6

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site

Local hifi shop does reconditioned Linn LP12’s often with an ATvm95ml cart. Any thoughts there? They average about £1300 so similar price to a moving magnet fitted Rega P6.
Stylus change is really easy, generally just slide off the old one and slide the new one on. Might need a slight adjustment to VTF and bias setting - maybe, maybe not. It's 10x easier than the palaver of changing a cartridge.

Reactions: Heynumberone

Local hifi shop does reconditioned Linn LP12’s often with an ATvm95ml cart. Any thoughts there? They average about £1300 so similar price to a moving magnet fitted Rega P6
If they know what they’re doing then a Linn will be a vast improvement. But they do need to be kept in good shape and the set up is important, especially the bounce of the suspended chassis. Keep in mind you could spend literally ten times more on upgrades, so as long as you don’t go down that particular rabbit hole you have plenty of headroom.

The 95ML is a super cartridge, (I use one on my Technics) with a similar heritage to your Goldring (which is made by AT for them). Similar tonally too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts