Rega P9 - at what cost?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
There's also the Nottingham Analogue decks, not to mention Avid and Clearaudio. Myself, I'd still go for the Thorens TD150 or 160 secondhand, plus (as Chebby suggests) an SME arm. Unbeatable value for money.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
CJSF said:
However I would sugest a call to 'Inspire HI Fi' to talk about their rebuilds, the word is, they are a bit special? CJSF

Just had a very useful conversation with Robert from Inspire Hifi and he has sent a pic of the Rega Quest upgrade package, and particularly a beautiful macassar (dark rosewood style) veneer for the birch plinth - looks stunning.

This could well be my route forward !!

Did the 'Inspire i2' TT get mentioned? There is a full review avaliable that they will send you as a pd file. I think the price is in the £800-£1000 bracket depending on spec., chosen . . . SME arm avaliable as well I believe? However I think the rebuild might be a way forward at a reasonable price???

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Did the 'Inspire i2' TT get mentioned? There is a full review avaliable that they will send you as a pd file. I think the price is in the £800-£1000 bracket depending on spec., chosen . . . SME arm avaliable as well I believe? However I think the rebuild might be a way forward at a reasonable price???

CJSF

No, Robert didn't mention it, but domestically, the upgrading of my existing P3-24, resulting in a much more substantial machine, will hopefully get the nod.

I'll post before and after pics once it's come back from Robert

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:
It just struck me that Gyrophobia is a much better word...

Is their a society for those that have it , and can I join ?

Orbeviously I cannot be a member. :rofl:

I would have thought you would have been a perfect candidate to join . Even if it is just so that you can have a good slap for that punny pun !

Kinky, I'll be around shortly 8)

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:

I would have thought you would have been a perfect candidate to join . Even if it is just so that you can have a good slap for that punny pun !

I wasn't actually thinking along those lines , but what the heck . I'll get the whipped cream and manacles ready !

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:

I wasn't actually thinking along those lines , but what the heck . I'll get the whipped cream and manacles ready !

I prefer Angel Delight.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:

I prefer Angel Delight.

Any particular flavour ? No , don't answer that , I'll surprise you .

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:

I prefer Angel Delight.

Well, I set off for Shropshire yesterday, I’d sorted out all the addresses for Housman, trouble was I got to Rugeley, thought there is a decent vinyl shop here Thoseoldrecords so I stopped and had a browse, bought a few and thought playing vinyl is better than Angel Delight so I went back home for a listen and then went for a swim. :twisted:

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
Lost Angeles said:
shropshire lad said:
John Duncan said:

I prefer Angel Delight.

Well, I set off for Shropshire yesterday, I’d sorted out all the addresses for Housman, trouble was I got to Rugeley, thought there is a decent vinyl shop here Thoseoldrecords so I stopped and had a browse, bought a few and thought playing vinyl is better than Angel Delight so I went back home for a listen and then went for a swim. :twisted:

A very wise decision .

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyway....there was this issue of a sad guy with a Rega P3-24 that was after something more. Several instant desserts later...he's getting an Inspire Hifi Quest upgrade full package...fingers crossed will be able to post a report (with pics) next weekend.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Anyway....there was this issue of a sad guy with a Rega P3-24 that was after something more. Several instant desserts later...he's getting an Inspire Hifi Quest upgrade full package...fingers crossed will be able to post a report (with pics) next weekend.

Will watch your space with much interest . . .

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My P3-24 has now been carried up to Inspire by Parcelforce for its Quest makeover. (the full monty).

I'll link and post pics/review when I get it back (hopefully even by this weekend, though Parcelforce were a day late because their van broke down).

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
My P3-24 has now been carried up to Inspire by Parcelforce for its Quest makeover. (the full monty).

I'll link and post pics/review when I get it back (hopefully even by this weekend, though Parcelforce were a day late because their van broke down).

You'd think that they would splash out and buy a second van , just incase the first broke down . As it indeed did !

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:

You mean they did not ask for extra to cover the cost of repair . . . :read:

CJSF:rofl:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
DandyCobolt . . . hows the makeover going . . . ????

CJSF

Inspired turntable received on thursday, but Parcelforce had been playing keepy-uppy with the package. Damaged veneer so I didn't even think about plugging in and playing.

Back in the van yesterday up to Robert at Inspire, so fingers crossed will get back during next week.

I've got a pile of new vinyl all ready and waiting. (Carole king "music", the new mobile fidelity "street survivors"by skynyrd (ooh that smell!) and first aid kit's "lions roar".

Have to settle for fleetwood Mac's DVD-a of "rumours" this evening.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
CJSF said:
DandyCobolt . . . hows the makeover going . . . ????

CJSF

Inspired turntable received on thursday, but Parcelforce had been playing keepy-uppy with the package. Damaged veneer so I didn't even think about plugging in and playing.

Back in the van yesterday up to Robert at Inspire, so fingers crossed will get back during next week.

I've got a pile of new vinyl all ready and waiting. (Carole king "music", the new mobile fidelity "street survivors"by skynyrd (ooh that smell!) and first aid kit's "lions roar".

Have to settle for fleetwood Mac's DVD-a of "rumours" this evening.

Footy with your TT, a bu**er! that will be a total rebuild for Inspire . . . :wall: dont supose they are happy either?

Look forward to next weekend and the heap of new vinyl . . . :dance: CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is the big day when my Inspire Quest arrives.

Robert from Inspire has already sent me a sneek preview pic, and it looks stunning!!

As long as Parcelforce don't drop the ball again, I should have some pics and thoughts posted very shortly. Can't wait.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is the big day when my Inspire Quest arrives.

Robert from Inspire has already sent me a sneek preview pic, and it looks stunning!!

As long as Parcelforce don't drop the ball again, I should have some pics and thoughts posted very shortly. Can't wait.

You cant wait . . . ???? What about us . . . :bounce:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
The P9 has the simple clean looks (no gyros or visible drive belts etc) that my wife is happy with. Ok, I'll have to look s/h or add some more cash, but this might be my turntable for eventual retirement and happy days ahead.

Retirement . . . officially I retire in June, get my dosh, been paying in long enough! . . . started early, practising, not working this week, off half of next week. Then Hazel goes into hospital . . . I don the apron for a while, she will be into a 12 month recovery program.

So we sat down and did the sums, I can finish the end of this month . . . :dance: Then as from the 30th June, we become an official drain on the country. You will all have to pay more tax to keep me in the manner I am accustomed :read: Free mobility car and benefits, I play with my hifi, camera and garden . . . Retirement, its a hard, boring life . . . 8)

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I received my Quest Inspire Upgrade turntable today. I'm a very happy chap!

First photos and my attempt at a review here...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/inspire-quest-rega-upgrade

Thanks cjsf and all for your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts