Rega Elicit mk5 4ohm: overheating is real 😟

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Have you tried (for example) the Fosi V3 David?
20 times less expensive than your £2k figure.
Too cheap to be any good?
A lower class of D?
I might have said so.....before I tried one - and I'm not alone.
(True, the measurers claim some speaker dependency at HF - but they also reckon that's been corrected by the feedback implementation in the new Monoblocks 🤔)

The Fosi V3 is not a 300w amplifier, why are you obsessed with it? All very well ASR giving it a glowing review, without stating what speakers he's tested it with. Many other reviews as well. I seriously doubt it will drive those Elacs adequately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

The Fosi V3 is not a 300w amplifier, why are you obsessed with it? All very well ASR giving it a glowing review, without stating what speakers he's tested it with. Many other reviews as well. I seriously doubt it will drive those Elacs adequately.
Where did I say it was a 300 watt amp?
I know it is not.
And I've read about it's reported issue with speaker-dependent HF.
I'm not 'obsessed' by it - but it's fair to say that I like the value it provides.

I made no reference to ASR either...though I think I did see some 'reviewer' blasting it momentarily into a 1 ohm test load.

And that's the main point in the context of this thread - it probably (almost certainly) wouldn't be switching itself off if faced with the OPs speakers (and from what some of us have heard of it, I doubt it would even sound strained).

I'm not too interested whether an amplifier can momentarily cover a 4ohm/3ohm/2ohm load etc, but whether it can do so over a normal listening session, and sometimes in weather like this. You have to have faith in your equipment to be able to "use it and forget it", you don't want to be worrying whether it is going to overheat, or start producing negative characteristics because it can't handle what you want it to do.

For the last few weeks (except for when I was at the show), I've been listening to Magnepan Magneplanar LRS speakers, which state 4ohms, but the Stereophile review states they act more like 3.3ohms, and dip to 2.8ohms. Initially I was using a Bel Canto E1X integrated, even though I haven't used this amp with anything like this before, but it seems to handle Perlisten speakers pretty well, that drop to similar impedances. After I got the Hegel H390 back off loan, I swapped for that, knowing they double in output when the impedance halves, and knowing it can handle 2ohms easily. I honestly wouldn't trust something not much bigger than a pan Apple TV box to remain stable when the going gets tough. If anything goes wrong, I don't want to lose any expensive drivers! From what I'm told, Class D amps can let go dramatically, and take everything with them.

I'm always on the look out for amps that can handle low impedances, but I'd need to read solid data on its abilities in that respect to be able to trust it. The £2k figure I mentioned was a rough one, and for the most part, I'd say it's likely higher. Class AB amplifiers need big components to deal with it, so won't be cheap, and I'm not generally convinced that Class D can handle it properly, as even the Anthem M1 monoblocks which are 1kW into 8ohms and double into 4k don't give any ratings below 3ohms, and that rating isn't in line to show a doubling down towards 2ohms.

manicm

Where did I say it was a 300 watt amp?
I know it is not.
And I've read about it's reported issue with speaker-dependent HF.
I'm not 'obsessed' by it - but it's fair to say that I like the value it provides.

I made no reference to ASR either...though I think I did see some 'reviewer' blasting it momentarily into a 1 ohm test load.

And that's the main point in the context of this thread - it probably (almost certainly) wouldn't be switching itself off if faced with the OPs speakers (and from what some of us have heard of it, I doubt it would even sound strained).

It won't drive those Elacs.

Ian AV

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
If your amplifier can't cope with nominal 4 Ohm speakers, then it's replace the amp or speakers which ever is your choice.
Otherwise, if you are happy with the combination and the amp can handle 4 Ohm loads then add forced cooling.
I had a Quad amp that ran darned hot into 4 Ohms and output was reduced to cope by the amp itself. So I added external cooling and that cured the too hot to handle cooling fins at the back.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I couldn't sleep, it's almost 1:30 am. Crazy hot but this lovely baby keeps the room chilled.

1719534262502.png
This Klarstein Ethos High Performance Metal Pedestal Fan cost me £130 but worth every penny. Probably keep those 2Ohm amps from overheating, yeah there's the noise, Whoosh Whoosh..

gasolin

Read my posts, read the official specs of this specific Elac speaker.

Type: 2 1⁄2-Way, bass reflex
Woofer: 2 x 180 mm Ø, AS XR cone
Midrange: (180 mm)
Tweeter: JET 5
Frequency: 450 | 2550 Hz
Frequency range (IEC 268-5): 28 – 50000 Hz
Sensitivity: 88,5 dB at 2,83 V/m
Suitable for amplifiers: 4 – 8 Ω
Rec. amplifier power: 40 – 400 W/channel
Nominal/peak power handling: 150 W | 220 W
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω | 3,6 Ω at 180 Hz
Height x width x depth: 1142 x 276 x 332 mm
Weight: 27,1 kg

My speakers go down to 3.8 ohm my amp handles it without any problems

2024-06-28 10_38_39-Enceinte Bibliothèque Hi-Fi - Esprit EZ Titus (Paire) – Google Chrome.jpg

Get a min 2x 100 watt amp in 8 ohm or try a big power amp 200 watt in 8 ohm or more so you don't get close to using all of the power the amp has to play loud

Pa power amp is always an option but can be noisy do to a fan(s)

go for one with big heatsinks and ventilation holes

Last edited:

manicm

Type: 2 1⁄2-Way, bass reflex
Woofer: 2 x 180 mm Ø, AS XR cone
Midrange: (180 mm)
Tweeter: JET 5
Frequency: 450 | 2550 Hz
Frequency range (IEC 268-5): 28 – 50000 Hz
Sensitivity: 88,5 dB at 2,83 V/m
Suitable for amplifiers: 4 – 8 Ω
Rec. amplifier power: 40 – 400 W/channel
Nominal/peak power handling: 150 W | 220 W
Height x width x depth: 1142 x 276 x 332 mm
Weight: 27,1 kg

Forget the rest of the specs Gasolin, this is the only one that matters. This is a 4ohm speaker dipping to 3.6ohms.

This speaker in its latest iteration also costs around 4200 GBP.

Maybe the Fosi can drive it sufficiently, but it's a risk one would have to take.

Back to the OP, regardless of the Rega's weaknesses and taking into account his smaller room, it would be more cost efficient to replace his speaker rather than his amp, assuming there's nothing wrong with the Rega. But that should be entirely his decision, and all that matters is a system which will be reliable and make him happy.

gasolin

Back to the OP, regardless of the Rega's weaknesses and taking into account his smaller room, it would be more cost efficient to replace his speaker rather than his amp, assuming there's nothing wrong with the Rega. But that should be entirely his decision, and all that matters is a system which will be reliable and make him happy.

Elac NAVIS ARB51 Powered speakers (the amps match the speaker)

Use his rega as a preamp or if wast or money (not using the built in amp in the rega) get something from nad,rotel or what you can find of a good quality

2024-06-28 11_06_35-Elac NAVIS ARB51 _ Audiocompagniet.dk – Google Chrome.jpg

Rega AYA same price as the elacs Impedance: 6 Ω Sensitivity: 89.5dB
2024-06-28 11_15_36-Rega AYA gulvhøjttalere _ Audiocompagniet.dk – Google Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts