Rega Apollo - Am I crazy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

no your not crazy the apollo is a superb cd player and i can't rate it enough, but first i think you should let your system settle in before making any changes, its only been 2 weeks and all your kit is still box fresh. i would also move your speakers out some more and toe them in slightly.
emotion-21.gif

have you considered adding a sub dan?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
THESTIG08:
no your not crazy the apollo is a superb cd player and i can't rate it enough, but first i think you should let your system settle in before making any changes, its only been 2 weeks and all your kit is still box fresh. i would also move your speakers out some more and toe them in slightly.
emotion-21.gif

have you considered adding a sub dan?

Deffo no need for a sub; the RX6's go plenty deep enough for my room (I had a mojority of the house rattling yesterday
emotion-5.gif
)

I've already got a fairly big sub in place with the surround sound system as well so having 2 in the living room is a no-no really!

I decidxed to trial the system with and without the Tacima C929 mains conditioner yesterday...

Verdict: The Tacima is going on eBay
emotion-4.gif
Yes, it REALLY did make that much of a difference to the systems soundstage with it removed!

Bass was deeper, punchier and altogether tauter. Midrange really opened up and more detail was present and the treble lost its slight tin-ness and was crip and clear!

Now just to see what difference the Clearer Audio mains cables make!

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Not to nudge you over to the 'dark side' or anything, but I DID trade in my old NAD-545 for an Apollo a few months ago -- before Christmas, I think. Honestly, it's great I did. Maybe it's psychological but I seem to derive more pleasure out of using and seeing it over the old 545. TBH, the lingering talk about the NAD's supposed reliability issues, and the sudden arrival of some track skipping episodes caused me to trade it in at the ripe old age of two months.

Other than that, it sounded great.

matthewpiano

In terms of sound quality I think the 545BEE is superb for the money. I have absolutely no complaints about the way it plays music. I do, however, have concerns over the build quality and especially the transport itself which I have found to be overly noisy. I don't think I'll be going back to my 545BEE after using the Rotel for a few days. Similar high quality sound but far better build.

I personally feel the Apollo is a good step-up. It is a very well made machine, lovely to use, and extremely musical. Yer pays yer money....

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
crusaderlord:jax - i dont necessarily agree with this either but what it did was make me put my foot on the ball and consider better what and why i was doing it. i could have splashed out £2k on a new player which was fuelled more by a perceived need to see if something was better than a real disire to move on from my Arcam set up. my point is more to take your time and consider other options - i decided to get more from what i had already and i beleive this was much more cost effective for me - my Arcams are now performing a good deal above what they were for a mere fraction of the Musical Fidelity outlay. is it certainly a hobby for me and i do love upgrading and one day will i am sure get a new brand, but not just yet and i wont get into debt to do it either

Good points. We agree.
emotion-21.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well as I've said above I dont think I'll be changing just yet
emotion-5.gif

Having plugged the amp and CDP directly in to the mains has made a world of difference and I'm sure new Clearer Audio mains cables will help as well.

I have no issues with the NAD CDP; it doesnt make any noise what so ever so touch wood it'll stay like that
emotion-1.gif

d_a_n1979:Well as I've said above I dont think I'll be changing just yet
emotion-5.gif
Having plugged the amp and CDP directly in to the mains has made a world of difference and I'm sure new Clearer Audio mains cables will help as well. I have no issues with the NAD CDP; it doesnt make any noise what so ever so touch wood it'll stay like that
emotion-1.gif

No reason why it should. Well done, dan
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS