Aging Alpha 8/8p amp combo - replace with an A19?

damnspynovels

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I have an aging Arcam Alpha 8/8p combo that's exhibiting problems like balance channel slipping (its louder in one channel than another), and also if music is playing, it's still audible with the volume pot at zero.

Servicing would be approx £200. I'm wondering if the money would be better spent on a new integrated.

I've got a pair of MA BX5s which I love, and an Alpha 7SE CDP hooked up to an irDAC. Also, a Rega RP3.

Would switching to an A19 have a noticably improved effect over the integrated / power amp (bi-amped) combo?

Welcome to the forum.

I used to have the Arcam 8 pairing, long gone now I am afraid.

If you were happy with the sound as it was I would suggest the servicing route. These probably fetch around £150 each on eBay at the moment so I'd keep them.

Whether or not the move to an A19 would offer a 'noticeably improved effect' is, unfortunately, something only you can determine. Others may say yes, but then they don't have your exact system / room / ears.

Can you get to a dealer and audition?

damnspynovels

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I probably can't audition to the level I'd want. When I auditioned the speakers, the dealer hooked them up to an RP3 (my turntable) via an A38 amp - which of course all sounded wonderful. Whether it's the accoustics of my own room, or just the difference between the 8/8P and the A38 I dont know. But it's always left me wondering if technology has progressed so much that even the A19 outperforms what's now a 15 year old 8/8P combo.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It is a dilemma. I used to have the Alpha 8, it is a good amp for the money and I don’t think things have moved forward massively. You could spend a few hundred £££ to just replace it like for like with a modern equivalent, personally I’d look at one of two options, the first would be to spend a bit more and use this opportunity to make any change an upgrade rather than a sideways step. Also presumably the problem is with the integrated? Have you considered getting a new pre amp and [pairing that with your 8P? Something like a Croft basic is a great value option and I suspect would give you a good upgrade on the phono side.

damnspynovels

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
bluedroog said:
It is a dilemma. I used to have the Alpha 8, it is a good amp for the money and I don’t think things have moved forward massively. You could spend a few hundred £££ to just replace it like for like with a modern equivalent, personally I’d look at one of two options, the first would be to spend a bit more and use this opportunity to make any change an upgrade rather than a sideways step. Also presumably the problem is with the integrated? Have you considered getting a new pre amp and [pairing that with your 8P? Something like a Croft basic is a great value option and I suspect would give you a good upgrade on the phono side.

I think what I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not an A19 "is" considered an upgrade over the 8/8p. There's no real affordable power amp to pair with it like there was with the Alpha 8, so it's not like I'd be thinking in a year I could add a power amp to the mix.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven’t heard it but suspect it will be a slight improvement, it is just the modern equivalent model though. I think the Diva range in between was essentially the Alpha’s dressed up a bit, this range should be better but I don’t think it will be a jump in quality.

You really need to get a demo, ideally with your own speakers but there are quite a few options at the price point, entry level Naim, Rega etc. Your speakers are fairly senstive so not need massive power up them, it really comes down to synergy and how you like the presentation.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bluedroog said:
I haven’t heard it but suspect it will be a slight improvement, it is just the modern equivalent model though. I think the Diva range in between was essentially the Alpha’s dressed up a bit, this range should be better but I don’t think it will be a jump in quality.

You really need to get a demo, ideally with your own speakers but there are quite a few options at the price point, entry level Naim, Rega etc. Your speakers are fairly senstive so not need massive power up them, it really comes down to synergy and how you like the presentation.

Agreed, if you want a near like for like replacement then fine, if you want a real improvement or something 'different' then look elsewhere.

The only real alternative at the price is probably the Creek 50A, an amp that, in isolation, I prefer to the Arcam, though in your system you might think differently, who knows........ :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts