Advice please - best speakers for use with Arcam Alpha 8R and 8P bi-amp system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an older Arcam Alpha 8R and 8P bi-amped system with an Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player as source. I am in need of some decent speakers to use with them. I'm leaning towards standmounts (I have a pair of Atacama stands) but would be grateful for your recommendations. I have a budget of up to £500, but I am concerned that speakers in this price range would outclass my other system components (which I don't have the funds to upgrade anytime soon). Thanks guys.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-5.gif

I wouldnt worry about speakers outclassing the Arcams; thats a good system you've got, even better with it being bi-amped!

The Arcasm Alpha 8 amps were very good; much better than the Alpha 7's and the Alpha amps do sing a lot better when they've got their matching power amp as well.

What would be handy to know is what music do you generally listen to and at what levels etc...

For new speakers my choices would be:

Monitor Audio RX1'2 or the RX2's
B&W 685's or B&W CM1's
Arcaydis DM1's
EB Acoustic EB1's
Dali Lektor 2's

For 2nd hand:

Monitor Audio RS1's or if you're lucky the M/A GS10's
B&W 602 S2's or the S3's
Acoustic Energy AElite 2's

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy reply.

When it comes to music I have very eclectic taste: from classic rock (Lizzy, Zep, Neil Young etc.), through Pop, Funk (Parliament, Sly, Prince), 80s (Chic, ABC), contemporary rock and pop (Muse, MGMT, Scissor Sisters), and Folk-rock/Country-rock (Dylan, The Band, JJ Cale). I guess I'm looking at a good all-rounder speaker system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well in that case, with your music tastes, I'd highly recommend the B&W 685's and the Monitor Audio RX1's or the RX2's.

You really could do to demo these so see if you can find some decent hifi shops where you live and get some demo's booked. Also see if you are able to take in your amps and CDP as that way at least you'll hear the speeakers as they should and not with the shops recommendation of 'similar gear...'!

Dont forget to include in to your budget speaker cable and possibly new, matching interconnects

TRENDING THREADS