Hello and advice wanted on next upgrade--Arcam Alpha 8/8P

afs_nj

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello all. I have been a long-time reader of WHiFi and just discovered these forums. I have always highly valued the info I have gotten from the folks at WHiFi--they have never steered me wrong--even when I have been too lazy to actually audition the gear!!!! It is pleasure to be here.

I am defiantly not hear to brag about my system, but I do like my sound and consider myself the well-read novice.

Currently: B&W 685s, Arcam Alpha 8 and 8P, bi-wired with QED Silver Anniversary, source = a Mac with a Cayin iDac-1.

The last change I made was adding the Cayin--WOW! This changed everything! "No rubbish" you are probably saying to yourselves. But, I really did not no what I was missing. And, I am only listening to 256kbs MP3s. My plan is to migrate to a Mac Mini-uncompressed set-up.

Besides the 256kbs MP3 thing, it seems to me that the next move is to replace my 8/8P combo??? But, with what? I have read much about both Rotel (1062) and Roksan Kandy (K2). I have heard the Rotel and it's "okay." I believe WHiFi used to pair up the B&W 685s with the Rotel--they now pair the B&Ws with RK. Price ratio-wise, the Rotel combo seems more reasonable??

Is the K2 overkill for me and the 685s?? I think we are talking about doubling the power (60 vs. 120W) and the price???

What about going from my bi-wired/amp system to just an integrated setup?? Or, should I consider pairing either of the new amps with a power amp??

The last major upgrade I made (just prior to adding the Cayin) was adding the 8P and bi-wiring -- imaging was noticeably enhanced and I loved the change.

So, that brings up a point for consideration: for the same approx. cost I could do a Rotel 1062 + Power amp OR I could just do the K2 -- is my thinking way off????

Thank you all in advance for sharing your thoughts, expertise and experience.

Alex 

A

Anonymous

Just a thought, but what about upgrading the speakers? The Arcam amps are a good combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts